Author Topic: Black Cat sound  (Read 4172 times)

Darth Ed

Re: Black Cat sound
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 12:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:
 I wouldn't blame equipment much..at the end of the day most bands regardless of their stature are using the standards...Fender/Gibson guitars and basses...Ampeg, Fender, Vox, amps...
The quality of the microphones is more of an issue, I think. No?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »
Microphones are usually proved by the club, unless the band had their own PA gear traveling with them...
T.Rex

Darth Ed

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Microphones are usually proved by the club, unless the band had their own PA gear traveling with them...
Really? I certainly don't know how the Black Cat or the 9:30 Club works in this regard, but I've "roadied" for a local band on various occasions over the years and the band always used their own microphones, regardless of whether the venue has some on hand or not. I think most bands use their own microphones.

Fico

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:

Really? I certainly don't know how the Black Cat or the 9:30 Club works in this regard, but I've "roadied" for a local band on various occasions over the years and the band always used their own microphones, regardless of whether the venue has some on hand or not. I think most bands use their own microphones. [/b]
Well maybe some singers are particular about what they use...but clubs usually have their own mics as Kosmo said..and even if you are a touring band one might the logic would be use yours unless the club's are better...so I wouldn't blame the mics...its more about room and soundguy...

Sir HC

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 02:25:00 pm »
For vocals bands might have their own mics (that way you don't get the flu from the opener slobbering all over the mic) but both the 930 and Black Cat (and Fletchers) have a good selection of mics for the bands to use.  Usually bands might have vocal mics, kick mic, some other "fetish" mics.  The big shows, yeah they have everything, and if the band is sponsored by some microphone company then they will have all their mics too.  In general if you are an opener then you don't usually have mics, if you headline you might have some or all, but still it is not shocking for them to carry none.  They just put in the rider what they need (and that is usually wrong too).

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 04:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:

I think most bands use their own microphones. [/b]
Nah....shure sm-57's and 58's are all anyone really needs.  Unless yer in a rockabilly band and need one of those big goofy Elvis mics.  Seriously though, having been in a few bands and known scores...I'm hard pressed to think of any one that hauled them around unless there was some sort of special circumstance or application.

Sir HC

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »
If you need 57s and 58s, yeah the clubs all have those.  Now people use 91's on the kick, special overheads (beyond 81's), other whacky things on guitars, and betas and audix mics for the vocals.  These they will usually carry as not everywhere has a great mic selection.  But this really applies to touring bands.