Author Topic: Best Albums of 2007 (So Far!)  (Read 4432 times)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
Re: Best Albums of 2007 (So Far!)
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  Maximo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures
Another stealth pick that grows with repeated listens, not sure it'll win them any new fans but it's very solid indeed. [/b]
id say its as solid as their first album. although i can no longer see them in a tiny club, theyre now playing webster hall.
HeyLa

vansmack

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »
  So are you guys saying it's one of the best albums of the year, or a fun album that you like a few cuts off of, or the single or whatever?  ...But if you're portraying it as a critical masterpiece perhaps I'll give it listen, I'd like to think I was open minded enough.  But is that what you're actually saying?
First, I'll start by saying "Girlfriend" is my third favorite track on the album, so yes, I listen to the entire thing often, and like any album, it has a few tracks that I don't think are great, but for the most part it's a really enjoyable album.

But no, I would never say that it's a Critical Masterpiece, and I would caveat that by saying neither would Avril Lavigne.  This thread is "Best Album of 2007" not critical masterpiece of 2007 (I would also argue that you could just about now be able to amply define the Critical Masterpiece of say 1997 - it takes about a decade to figure out what was critical masterpiece because 9 times out of 10 the brilliance of a critical masterpiece is missed because it's so far ahead of its time).  It is what it is - a pop album, and as I've said before, a damn good pop album.  I do not take myself (or my music) too seriously to think that I'm better than pop music, because I'm not.  I'm a product of pop music and a fan of pop music.  

On that note, when I compare it to other albums that I've purchased in 2007 (The Frames, Arcade Fire, Wilco, Katharine McPhee, Daughtry, Clap Your Hands, Explosions in the Sky, Modest Mouse, Of Montreal, the Shins, etc.), track for track, all the way through, I find Avril's album to be the most listenable and enjoyable, and therefore the early front runner for album of the year according to Smackie.

For the record, my favorite album of 2006 was Band of Horses and 2005 was Shout Out Louds tied with Nouvelle Vague.  So feel free to take my opinions with a grain of salt if you disliked those too.
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 07:27:00 pm »
I've only heard the single.

But is that what you're actually saying?

killsaly

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 07:43:00 pm »
Low - Drums and Guns
 Modest Mouse - We were dead....
 Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
 Dntel - Dumb Luck
 Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero

slappy

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2007, 07:46:00 pm »
Don't sleep on Von Südenfed - Tromatic Reflexxions

The Mouse on Mars guys with Mark E Smith are a killer combo.

If it was a Fall album it would be one of (if not) the best in 20 years.

MES was a genius for hooking up with them. Hope they make it to the US before he gets too cranky and wreaks it.

azaghal1981

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2007, 08:01:00 pm »
Best album I've heard that hasn't come out yet:

Ulrich Schnauss - Goodbye
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up. This is great so far.  Had no idea they were working together. Great combination indeed.

Originally posted by slappy:
  Don't sleep on Von Südenfed - Tromatic Reflexxions

The Mouse on Mars guys with Mark E Smith are a killer combo.

If it was a Fall album it would be one of (if not) the best in 20 years.

MES was a genius for hooking up with them. Hope they make it to the US before he gets too cranky and wreaks it.
احمد

aglanixp

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2007, 09:00:00 pm »
The few that are burning up my stereo.

LCD Soundsystem- Sound of Silver (despite this bboard)

Grinderman

Download - Fixer

El Jefe Design

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2007, 10:04:00 pm »
I am also digging the latest Dan Sartain album a whole bunch. Thus I am looking forward to his show with the Detroit Cobras in June.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 08:15:00 am »
Wait a minute.  "The Good, The Bad & The Queen" was released in January.  That's my album of the year, so far.  I forgot it was released in 2007.

Brian

azaghal1981

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 09:05:00 am »
Dan Deacon got some well-deserved kind words in pitchfork today for spiderman of the rings.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/42811-spiderman-of-the-rings

Anyone see him last night? Laziness got the best of me.  :(
احمد

jbcapati

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 09:35:00 am »
quote:
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Originally posted by dcwizard:
 The National - Boxer
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it seems weird to pick best records in May - it's CRAZY to select something that's yet unreleased!    
Yeah, I know it seems crazy, but I happened to hear an advance copy and was floored.  This will be moot by the 22nd when it comes out.  The whole album is streaming on their MySpace as well.

Their opening set for Arcade Fire was fabulous, and I've got tix for their upcoming 9:30 date.