Author Topic: March Madness  (Read 26181 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: March Madness
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2006, 11:59:00 am »
Originally posted by Chaz, Lover of all Beings:
  Not really but they were talking about all the G-town fans that were there and one of them mentioned someone there or someone they met going by the name HoyaSaxa or something, and wasn't that your screen name once?
Hoya Saxa is the school's cheer or motto or whatever the hell you want to call it:

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/hoia.htm

someone actually made business cards with a more condensed version of that story to hand out to people at games who ask (usually after their team lost) "what the fuck is a hoya??"
(o|o)

« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2022, 04:58:54 pm »
So everyone knows how much I love sports and am the go to person to ask about making bets on said activities

but looking to crowd source some Brackets here. 
I've got two pools that I can enter for free (work and a patreon group), but have cash prizes

so I'll agree to share 20% of the winnings if you give me a winning bracket
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 05:02:03 pm by Lt. Corporal-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2022, 05:13:01 pm »
Pitiful

« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2022, 05:14:36 pm »
Pitiful
I know you are but what am I
slack

« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2022, 02:03:45 pm »
welp, really appreciate the help I got here, but I have a feel-good college hoops story

I didn't want to bother you, but wish I had known about your gift to Steve Mitchell. His departure from this earth has offered the story of a life well-lived. Steve was the man who sat behind you in Duke University's Cameron Indoor Stadium for the last 37 years and I know you miss him this season.

He did a lot in his sixty plus years. He was born with Down syndrome and his family shrugged off the doctors and took him right home. He was integrated in an era that made his parents ground breakers; school or church, Steve was there. I am a special needs mama too and with parenthood comes advocacy, their forging a path has benefited so many. You called Steve "a good friend who had some challenges." What a gift of inclusive language.

The story goes that in 1980 the only thing Steve Mitchell wanted for Christmas was a Duke basketball ticket, not an easy score, but Steve's brother had a construction company and was hired to renovate the new coach’s, Mike "Coach K" Krzyzewski, house. He asked you how one might find a ticket to buy and explained his brother’s Christmas wish.

“He can sit behind me,” you said. Did you know how life changing that gift would be?

The following season, Steve wrote you a letter saying, “Coach, I know we’re going to have another great year. I was hoping that I could sit near you again.” You said yes to a family that may have heard no far more often. He wrote you a letter every year for 37 years and this is the first season that a ticket, reserved for one Steve Mitchell, isn’t waiting at will call. Steve would collect his ticket and make his way to his seat behind you (usually with the help of his favorite usher, Fran), a tradition that was life changing for his self-confidence, according to his family. You shook his hand before every game.

Thank you, Coach K.

slack