Author Topic: Will Rhett like the new Wilco  (Read 7162 times)

ggw

Re: Will Rhett like the new Wilco
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 08:57:00 am »
The Post labels it "yacht rock" and compares it to Steely Dan.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/14/AR2007051401433.html?sub=AR

nkotb

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 09:02:00 am »
God, can we PLEASE stop the term "yacht rock" before it really takes hold.  That's the lamest label of all time.

I'm really surprised so many people have labeled this album "boring."  I love it, and think it's a great compliment to the last two albums.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/14/AR2007051401433.html?sub=AR

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  God, can we PLEASE stop the term "yacht rock" before it really takes hold.  That's the lamest label of all time.

I'm really surprised so many people have labeled this album "boring."  I love it, and think it's a great compliment to the last two albums.
i see a very direct relationship between the request in paragraph #1 and the admiration in paragraph #2 above.  fanboy much?  :D
<sig>

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007, 09:19:00 am »
Compliment, or complement? Or both?

[/b]

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 09:21:00 am »
Why does rock music have to be borderline unlistenable for critics to like it?

nkotb

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2007, 09:26:00 am »
Actually, I'm not really a super Wilco fan, although I do like them a good bit.  I definitely don't think they're flawless.  It's just that "yacht rock" has been showing up more and more lately, and it really grates on my nerves.  It's just one of those snarky terms that people think using makes them not only sound smart but also sound clever.  And it does neither.  Of course, that's just my opinion.  And I have Jeff Tweedy's face tattooed on my bicep.

And Rhett, I meant complement.  My brain isn't awake yet.

Originally posted by sweetcell:
 i see a very direct relationship between the request in paragraph #1 and the admiration in paragraph #2 above.  fanboy much?   :D  

Celeste

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

I'm really surprised so many people have labeled this album "boring."  I love it...
I agree!!! WTF does that even mean?

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Why does rock music have to be borderline unlistenable for critics to like it?
I know!

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »
Well J. Free, maybe some day you'll be medium-level. Keep working at it. You've already reached middle aged. Smart? Probably out of the question!

J. Freedom du Lac: Thank you. That was mildly amusing.

I haven't been able to listen to the new Wilco album a second time. It's snoozy in a pleasantly straightforward kind of way. Music for medium-level middle-aged smart people who want to listen to something new while noshing on sauteed morels and wild leeks.

ggw

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by The Vessel:

I agree!!! WTF does that even mean?

[/b]
In the musical sense, yacht rock refers to the highly polished brand of soft rock that emanated from Southern California during the late 1970s and early 1980s. In part, the term relates to the stereotype of the yuppie yacht owner, enjoying champagne and smooth music while out for a sail. Additionally, since sailing was a popular leisure activity in Southern California, many "yacht rockers" made nautical references in their lyrics and album artwork, particularly the anthemic track "Sailing" by Christopher Cross.

The foundation of the yacht rock scene was a local pool of versatile session musicians who frequently played on each other's records. This professionalism often gave yacht rock recordings a high level of sophistication in musical areas such as composition, arrangement, and instrumental skill.

The most popular yacht rock artists enjoyed massive commercial success. During its peak years, yacht rock dominated the Grammy Awards, with Christopher Cross and Toto sweeping the major awards in 1981 and 1983 respectively, feats consistently derided by Grammy prognosticators. [3] However, yacht rock was not a hit with most rock critics at the time, who dismissed it as being corporate rock that was overproduced, generic, and Middle of the Road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock

ggw

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »
"This may be the best Eagles album the Eagles never made."

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20038384,00.html

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »
Obviously more of a reference intended for the audience the article it was written for than a true comparison.

There's certainly a number of classic rock influences on that album, but save for Tweedy's voice sounding slightly like Henley's at times, I don't really see the Eagles comparison.

"This may be the best Eagles album the Eagles never made."

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20038384,00.html

pj

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »
Haven't heard it yet, but looking forward to it. I read an interview with Tweedy a few months ago where he said the album was heavily influenced by an album from an unknown band in the 70's that was very much from the Gram Parson's style. I can't remember the name of the band, but if someone happens to know what the heck I am talking about, let me know. I can't find the article anymore.