Author Topic: PJ Harvey Roll Call  (Read 4250 times)

Re: PJ Harvey Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2004, 10:14:00 am »
Because people have so much more energy at 11 pm on a weeknight than they do at 7?

Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  Well, I guess I'll be the dissenter then. This was one of the most disappointing concerts of the year, and I go to ~50 concerts per year. The audience was the most anemic I've experienced at the 9:30 Club in quite some time. They could barely get enough energy to applaud at the end of the concert. Pathetic. The only time the audience got animated was when PJ came back out on stage for the second and final encore. I put part of the blame on it being an early show on a weekday, but I must say that I thought PJ's performance was lacking energy and passion. Her voice was excellent and the band played very nicely, but there was something missing. Part of it is the material. Her most recent album (which I like quite a bit actually) doesn't quite have the same raw energy as her early albums, but she seemed almost too rehearsed and was more concerned over her levels than actually performing through most of the first set. The concert finally started to get good with the last song of the main set. The first encore rocked and was quite good. The second encore was uninspired.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2004, 10:18:00 am »
I had a great time.  I thought she was really good.  I usually tend to get bored by the end of the night, if I'm not too familiar with the performer.  Not this time.  

It was the kind of sold-out show I hate though.  Very crowded (probably because her soundboard was taking up too much space) and very little movement from the crowd.  It's hard to stand perfectly still for 2 hours.  Move the slightest bit and you're bumping into at least 2 people.

Great show though.

Guiny

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2004, 10:24:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Because people have so much more energy at 11 pm on a weeknight than they do at 7?
[/QB][/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.   :confused:

bearman🐻

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2004, 02:20:00 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a headbanger (not like I care!), I do have to admit that I really wanted to rock out a couple of times but felt as though I would get some dirty looks or angry words from people around me since nobody was moving. Not that I think I'm obnoxious when I move around (I always try to be respectful of my neighbors), but during "Who the Fuck?" and "The Whores Hustle" I thought it was just shredding music and I wanted to go with it. It would have been fun if people got more animated and let loose a bit.

dotdot

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2004, 02:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
I think people at 11 have been drinking longer.  Lots of people were talking about how they had to haul ass from work to get there.  

I was in the back and it was a great show, her voice fantastic.  I think it being early and the pressure of having to be done at a certain point took away a little from the performance, but I was happy.  I don't see how you can jump up and "rock out" and still keep such an incredible voice.

I hope Critters Buggin was bullshit.  They sound it.

stepandfetch

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2004, 09:49:00 pm »
i was there.. in the front.. i was really into it and was moderately crazy lol since everyone else around me were stone. lol

my review:
  http://www.livejournal.com/~fishhookandline

stepandfetch

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2004, 09:51:00 pm »
ohh yeah + i was the kid who's camera's flash kept going off. i couldn't help it.. it did it on it's own [it was a disposable, + i didn't press the button or anything] i was lucky enough not to get it taken away. i already developed them.. probably put them up sometime soon!

Fiona

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2004, 09:18:00 pm »
Overall, it was an excellent show with a great set list that had songs from all parts of her career. (I personally hate those shows where artists insist upon playing all of the new album and ignore the older stuff.) I  would have got more into it if it had been later just because I had to get up so early to get my hours in at work to get to the show on time, but overall I had a great time.