Author Topic: Live roll call (and question about 9:32)  (Read 3614 times)

Arthwys

Re: Live roll call (and question about 9:32)
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 12:17:00 am »
I may just enjoy re-living my mid-90's grunge hey day, but I feel I must defend this poor band.  They've def had ups and downs...i pretty much like every other album.  Throwing copper, good stuff, but secret samadhi, too introspective and the points they were trying to make got very much lost in the randomness of the lyrical imagery.  Distance to here was brilliant (for a mainstream grungish rock act) but they tried to hard to get back into the swing of the times with V.  I'm relatively happy with the simple pleasures of hearing Live rock out again on their new album, even though it's not another throwing copper qualitywise.  Thing about them is that they are extremely straighforward in having earnest messages to their music, even if it's not exactly the deepest stuff in the world.  Case in point, "I believe in the sanctity of dreams", some reviewer said that only Live could pull that crap off with any validity and he's right.  I've seen them in concert twice and both times it was a blast, Ed takes a while to loosen up but then you can tell that he's really enjoying this.  At heart they are still the hometown boys from central PA that made it good.
Emrys

hitman

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 03:05:00 am »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
  I may just enjoy re-living my mid-90's grunge hey day, but I feel I must defend this poor band.  They've def had ups and downs...i pretty much like every other album.  Throwing copper, good stuff, but secret samadhi, too introspective and the points they were trying to make got very much lost in the randomness of the lyrical imagery.  Distance to here was brilliant (for a mainstream grungish rock act) but they tried to hard to get back into the swing of the times with V.  I'm relatively happy with the simple pleasures of hearing Live rock out again on their new album, even though it's not another throwing copper qualitywise.  Thing about them is that they are extremely straighforward in having earnest messages to their music, even if it's not exactly the deepest stuff in the world.  Case in point, "I believe in the sanctity of dreams", some reviewer said that only Live could pull that crap off with any validity and he's right.  I've seen them in concert twice and both times it was a blast, Ed takes a while to loosen up but then you can tell that he's really enjoying this.  At heart they are still the hometown boys from central PA that made it good.
I agree.  Five I thought was a major disappointment.  However, I disagree with everyone's opinion on their acoustic set.  I saw the acoustic set  when they opened up for JA at Nissan a few years ago, and it was great.  I will be there Sat. for sure.  I've seen them plenty of times, and enjoyed it every time.  And the guys in the band are all nice, down to earth people.

Ikarus

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 04:01:00 am »
back to question #2:

9:32 is covered and enclosed.  IMHO, the few ceiling fans aren't enough for adequate ventilation...buy your drink there (only place in the joint to buy a full tin of amstel or heineken), but if its not raining best to go out and enjoy the weather.

Bags

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 02:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Ikarus:
  back to question #2:

9:32 is covered and enclosed.  IMHO, the few ceiling fans aren't enough for adequate ventilation...buy your drink there (only place in the joint to buy a full tin of amstel or heineken), but if its not raining best to go out and enjoy the weather.
I was thinking that during the Cure -- it was unseasonably cool.  I wonder if the place is hot as hell during a more normal August evening...  I'd still hang out if Kosmo's DJing, of course.    :D

lily1

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2004, 07:12:00 pm »
for $15? i'm there! lake trout is opening, and even if the last few albums are shoite, they will still play songs from mental jewelry. which is by far their best album. not to mention live rarely give a poor performance.

hitman

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2004, 01:11:00 am »
It was a great performance.  I wish that they would have gone on a little early, considering the stupid noise curfew is 11pm.  But the show was great.  A lot of energy and fun to be had.  And I even got a guitar pick.  Can't beat that!

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2004, 08:45:00 am »
This was a band I laughed at when they first came out. I didn't even know they were still around.

Guiny

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2004, 08:55:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  This was a band I laughed at when they first came out. I didn't even know they were still around.
I wonder if the Old 97's could fill 15% of the Merriweather?

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2004, 09:14:00 am »
Given the bad taste of most casual music fans, I would hope not.

Originally posted by Rob_Gee:

I wonder if the Old 97's could fill 15% of the Merriweather? [/b]

hitman

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2004, 02:03:00 am »
  Given the bad taste of most casual music fans, I would hope not.

Originally posted by Rob_Gee:

I wonder if the Old 97's could fill 15% of the Merriweather? [/b]
[/b]
casual music fans...I love that shit...

As H.L. Mencken once said "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."  That shit can be spread around everyone concerning all tastes!