Author Topic: Simple Machines roll call  (Read 8550 times)

bigyellow100

Re: Simple Machines roll call
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2006, 06:00:00 pm »
that was by far the best show ive seen at 930 in a long time.  the first half of the set was amazing, especially with the lights, though the light show did die down somewhat nearing the end of their set.  as for the slower part around 3/4 of the way through the show, i figure it was so the drummer could have a little breather, cause he had been destroying the drums for about an hour.  also, i loved how everyone talked through out the entire show.

Relaxer

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2006, 07:46:00 pm »
I thought it was great overall. The sound was great, and I liked the long noisy jams. The light show was really good (best I've ever seen was Kasabian opening for the Music -- it was even better than when Kasabian headlined a couple months later). There was a 15-minute stretch that dragged juuust a bit, but they ended strong, and the encore was good too.

There were a couple times when I was distracted by the extent to which they were using background tapes. When the keyboard player (is that Brandon Curtis?) was playing bass, they played like a classic trio, where what you saw was what you heard. But when he was on the keyboard, they had up to 4 or 5 parts coming from tapes. Once or twice, the most interesting guitar parts were not being played onstage, and that can be a little disappointing.

But overall, it was a great time. It sounded good, it looked good, and the show length was just right. Still would've liked an opener though...
oword

Tom Servo

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2006, 07:50:00 pm »
Great show.  This was my 4th time to see them and I was beginning to get worried about a letdown from setting the bar too high, but no disappointment here.  Darth Ed and Bags, sorry I missed you guys.  I was almost at the front and by the time I saw you it was too crowded where I was to move.  Next time...

The light show has gotten better each time.  They experimented in some of the other shows I've seen with those super bright sodium lights pointed right at the audience, but have thankfully settled on a more subtle scheme.  Now they only bring out the blinders for a few moments in the set which works to a much better effect.  

I had no problems with the crowd chatter where I was.  Probably fewer talkers in general right up front and whatever there was got drowned out by the sound.  

I would've liked to hear All At Once off the new album, and I thought the guitar could have been higher in the mix in spots - but no major complaints.  A great night.  The last 2 minutes of First Wave Intact (last song of the encore) always highlight my year in rock.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »
Did the light show overshadowed the mediocreness of the songs from their latest album?
(_|_)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2006, 01:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  The light show was really good (best I've ever seen was Kasabian opening for the Music
do you remember where you were standing for that show?  i remember having to shield my eyes for a lot of it, i thought it was a bit excessive ... maybe i was just in a bad spot
(o|o)

eros

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2006, 01:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by bigyellow100:
  also, i loved how everyone talked through out the entire show.
I guess it doesn't piss everyone off.

(It's Monday...maybe my sarcasm detector needs to be re-calibrated)
ʎɐʍou

Got Haggis?

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2006, 01:48:00 pm »
it kept raining when they were playing at artscape, so didn't manage to catch much of them...well could listen, but not see.  kept running back to the tent by MICA. but i did think they sounded better (and had a bit more energy) than last time I saw them @ rams head live about a year or so ago (strangely, also a free show)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2006, 01:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Got Haggis?:
  it kept raining when they were playing at artscape, so didn't manage to catch much of them...well could listen, but not see.  kept running back to the tent by MICA. but i did think they sounded better (and had a bit more energy) than last time I saw them @ rams head live about a year or so ago (strangely, also a free show)
I was wondering how that went. Never made it down because I just didn't feel like dealing with all of that sporatic rain and crowds outside. Just wasn't all worth it to me. Also, considering that it was still broad daylight, I figured they'd have to nix the light show...which had nothing to do with why I didn't go. Surprised they didn't take the shows inside considering the rains were a given factor. Maybe they didn't want to pay the rent.

Relaxer

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

Originally posted by Relaxer:
  The light show was really good (best I've ever seen was Kasabian opening for the Music
do you remember where you were standing for that show?  i remember having to shield my eyes for a lot of it, i thought it was a bit excessive ... maybe i was just in a bad spot [/b]
Middle/left side on the balcony. I do remember a couple blinding times, but overall I was impressed and entertained and not annoyed by light-blindness.
oword

bigyellow100

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2006, 02:40:00 pm »
i was at the bottom right of the balcony near the stairs and thought that from that vantage point, the light show was superb, though i could see how it would just be blinding if you were on the floor near the stage.  but is it just me or is the sound for the vocals worse upstairs than downstairs?

cheechako

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2006, 01:20:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguar:

Originally posted by Got Haggis?:
I was wondering how that went. Never made it down because I just didn't feel like dealing with all of that sporatic rain and crowds outside. Just wasn't all worth it to me. Also, considering that it was still broad daylight, I figured they'd have to nix the light show...which had nothing to do with why I didn't go. Surprised they didn't take the shows inside considering the rains were a given factor. Maybe they didn't want to pay the rent. [/b]
Artscape was absolutely incredible. There being no light show would only have mattered if the giant rainbow hadn't appeared during North Country (what they called the best light show they've ever had). The mix on Saturday was better, not sure which show I enjoyed more, though.

revwolfe

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2006, 03:35:00 am »
Originally posted by Joe M.:
  Did the light show overshadowed the mediocreness of the songs from their latest album?
Man, lightning blue eyes was fantastic, and I Hate Pretending was one of the most energetic moments of the show (A song they played last year, by the way).  The drum solo into chaos at the end, followed by the silence cutoff, is just amazing.

To go with the rainbow in Baltimore, my friend told me that they ended it short with Nowhere Again because of some rumored lightning.  But the song has the perfect lyrics for the occasion (rainbow):

"maybe the rain will stop following me, with millions of colors reflected in daylight"