Author Topic: Iron & Wine / Calexico roll call  (Read 3352 times)

bellenseb

Re: Iron & Wine / Calexico roll call
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 11:34:00 am »
When I saw him at Iota there were 4-5 guys on stage. Maybe he also does solo shows, but my impression was he's usually with a band on the road.

J'Mal

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 12:16:00 pm »
for the most part, the bearded dude was there by himself or with a chick who wasn't allowed to sing much and occasionally picked at a stringed instrument.  when his "band" was there, they mostly just echoed him.

calexico can develop a rich, textured, complex sound.  when they joined I&W it was like someone pressed the "music" button on the stereo.

jpauls20

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 12:38:00 pm »
what did they play for the encore??

Sage 703

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 01:40:00 pm »
I'm not sure what most of you expected from Iron & Wine.  He's a guy who sings songs and plays a guitar.

I personally thought the whole show was great.  Calexico really impressed, and I thought Iron & Wine was very good for the size of the venue.  I saw them at Iota last year, and nothing can top that.  But for being a guy who plays really quiet music, I thought it translated to the club surprisingly well.

Then again, I'm a big Iron & Wine fan, and I like quiet music.

Sage 703

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 01:42:00 pm »
for some reason that posted twice.  oops.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 02:25:00 pm »
I really enjoyed the show last night. It was mellow and had a good vibes feel. Both bands were having a great time. And when both bands played, they frequently smiled and laughed at each other. Calexico's set felt too short, but I guess they could only play so many tunes due to the late hour. Iron & Wine's sound is quiet and gentle. During his set, I preferred his songs when he was on his own rather than with the other musicians. When Calexico came out, the sound just jumped and was richer. I particularly liked the songs with the trumpet parts.

The highlight, for me, was Salvador Duran. When he walked out, I thought, "Who's that guy?" and then he proceeded to astound me with his voice and guitar playing. I'm so glad the bands asked him to play some of his songs before joining him on stage. It was a nice transition. I'd love to see a whole set with him. Anyone know what that style of music is called? I can't think of it and it's driving me crazy.

Oh and the crowd was amazingly quiet and respectful the whole night!

ggw

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 02:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
 Anyone know what that style of music is called? I can't think of it and it's driving me crazy.

Mariachi?

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Mariachi?
I guess that could work. I feel like there's another name, though. Or maybe I just didn't realize mariachi singing could be almost operatic. Whatever it was, I loved it.

eltee

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 05:55:00 pm »
Score one for Tucson.   :D

mattedling

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2005, 12:01:00 am »
Anyone know what that style of music is called? I can't think of it and it's driving me crazy.

Try Flamenco.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2005, 06:17:00 pm »
"Ranchera" is the word I was trying to think of. But you are right, med. It did have a flamenco snap to it and the NPR site refers to him as a flamenco guitarist.