Author Topic: Iron & Wine / Calexico roll call  (Read 3452 times)

kurosawa-b/w

Iron & Wine / Calexico roll call
« on: November 28, 2005, 04:40:00 pm »
Well, cancelled flights and other travel problems yesterday caused me to miss the Dandys show. But I won't be missing this one! Anyone else going to see the Iron & Wine/Calexico collaboration (or respective sets)? I just realized it's a late show...

brennser

Re: Iron & Wine / Calexico roll call
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 04:42:00 pm »
I'm gonna be there (assuming my flight from Chicago isn't delayed)

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 04:50:00 pm »
I hate that smelly beard guy. I'll gladly see Calexico when they do their own headlining tour.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 04:51:00 pm »

ggw

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 10:46:00 am »

samanthaalison

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 06:37:00 pm »
I will be there.

Sage 703

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 03:30:00 pm »
count me in.  anybody know when they go on stage together?  9:30 website only has the individual band times.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 03:39:00 pm »
Seemingly at some point during the bearded guys' set?

Originally posted by callat703:
  count me in.  anybody know when they go on stage together?  9:30 website only has the individual band times.

twangirl

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 05:36:00 pm »
I saw this show about a month ago @ Stubb's, Calexico did a 45-min set, then Iron & Wine came out & did about the same, then Calexico joined Iron & Wine onstage for another oh I dunno 30-45 minutes. Looking forward to seeing them again.

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 05:41:00 pm »
Looking forward to this one...

xcanuck

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 10:24:00 am »
I have to admit that my only exposure to either band was just a few songs that I had downloaded off their websites. Based on that, I thought that I would be mildly impressed with Calexico and really into Iron & Wine.

As it turns out, my experience last night was quite the opposite. I really dug the southwest sounds of Calexico (esp the horns) whereas I&W left me somewhat underwhelmed.

Maybe there's a better venue for I&W other than a jampacked 930 Club. It's almost as if the sound got lost. It seemed like it should have been a much more intimate (for lack of a better word) experience. But I'm sure I'm in the minority on that one - everyone else seemed in rapture. It's been awhile since I've seen the 930 so quiet. I don't think I've ever had bartenders whisper to me before.

Good to see Kurosawa at the show after a long time. Sorry I didn't see you before I left but I wanted to make sure I was able to grab a cab home.

bellenseb

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 11:08:00 am »
I love Iron & Wine but I didn't go to the show because the 9:30 is an awful venue for them. They're pin-drop quiet. Iota was bad enough with drunk tagalongs obliviously chatting and drowning out the band, so I can only imagine the 9:30. This is one of the few acts I would much rather play the Birchmere - they would benefit from the shushmere policy.

J'Mal

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 11:10:00 am »
Calexico is one of my all time favorite bands and always puts on a long, solid show.  This time was a disappointment -- too short a set, and almost all of it was new stuff.  Some of the new stuff was great, but it would have been nice to hear more than just "crystal frontier" from ye olden days.

I&W -- jeeez, talk about boring.  It sounds pretty for a while but there's nothing special about it, and gets repetitive very quickly.  Nothing that you wouldn't expect from an average coffeehouse bearded dude trying to make some extra bucks for grad school.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

The mexican who does the animal sounds and the traditional music... kind of a shtick.  But his music was more involving than I&W and it was nice to see something a little different, even if, in the end, he was also a little one dimensional.

The combined set, man, that really showed where the talent was.  Calexico.  Everything they touched added something to the music.  When it started to become too iron & wineish, it was over.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 11:19:00 am »
Why do you refer to "the band", when in fact it's only ONE guy (at least the time I saw him at Iota.

Can I say that I didn't go to this show, but echo the reviews thus far...Calexico, great. Iron and Wine, boring.

Originally posted by bellenseb:
  I love Iron & Wine but I didn't go to the show because the 9:30 is an awful venue for them. They're pin-drop quiet. Iota was bad enough with drunk tagalongs obliviously chatting and drowning out the band, so I can only imagine the 9:30. This is one of the few acts I would much rather play the Birchmere - they would benefit from the shushmere policy.

eltee

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 11:32:00 am »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  As it turns out, my experience last night was quite the opposite. I really dug the southwest sounds of Calexico (esp the horns) whereas I&W left me somewhat underwhelmed.
Funny, I guess I've gotten to know your tastes since hanging around here. I wasn't surprised you ended up feeling this way.  :D