Author Topic: Top 40 living directors  (Read 13108 times)

flawd101

Re: Top 40 living directors
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2003, 05:01:00 pm »
i dont have a clue what i just did..........

Jaguär

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
You quoted yourself instead of editing. Don't worry, you aren't the first to make that mistake.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2003, 08:03:00 pm »
pedro almodovar, terry zwigoff, quentin tarantino, david lynch, david cronenberg, spike lee, spike jonze, wes anderson, martin scorsese, oliver stone, michel gondry (at least the music videos), joel coen, jane campion

those are the ones that usually make movies I want to see.  :)

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2003, 10:35:00 am »
What about the truly great Blake Edwards? He's still alive.

Who in hell is Spike Jonze?  Didn't he make just one crappy film?  How does that make him "Great!"???

ggw

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2003, 11:04:00 am »
Originally posted by Liberte:
  though, the guy has led a fairly horrific life.  Being imprisoned inside his own skin is not such a fabulous upgrade over the jail time he would likely have gotten had he not skipped the country.
Awwwwwww.  Poor Roman had a tough life.

Jail isn't necessary.  We'll pardon him because we're sure that he feels bad for sodomizing that 13-year old that he drugged........

However, in view of Polanski's having already suffered more than anyone should have to bear, and the fact that there was at least an element of consent (to the extent one believes that possible for a minor--but then, we were letting Jerry Lee Lewis off the hook on that score, weren't we?) in the crime, and most of all that the victim appears to have been able to enjoy a more or less normal life afterwards and has forgiven the perp, I believe that a position of forgiveness and moving on would also bear one's respect.
Do you advocate this position of "forgiveness and moving on" for all fugitive child-fuckers, or just the ones that make cool movies?

Bags

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2003, 11:46:00 am »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
  Who in hell is Spike Jonze?  Didn't he make just one crappy film?  How does that make him "Great!"???
Nope, he made one phenomenal film and another really good film.  There are many others on that list with only two under their belts, so his position is deserved in my opinion.

Adaptation was my favorite film last year, if not of the last few years.

Liberte

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2003, 12:06:00 pm »
Would you do yourself a favor and buy a clue, GGW?

At no point in this dialogue (and I use that term loosely, since you seem incapable of actually comprehending what anyone else writes) have I or anyone else suggested absolving Polanski of responsibility for his behavior.  The irony of your persistently distorting the words of those who don't swallow your entire position would be laughable, if it weren't so ugly.

You have attempted to sell a false dichotomy, and I'm not buying.  You seem to think that holding someone responsible for his actions requires total, permanent, scorched-earth jihad against every aspect of his being, and that failure to follow your dogma is a mark of moral degeneracy.  That, my friend, is simple selfish hatemongering wrapped in a veneer of sanctimony.  

I will not apologize for taking a moral position based on hating the sin, not the sinner.  I spit on your characterization of considering the whole context as "moral relativism."  I laugh at the foolish inconsistency of your arguments.  Jerry Lee Lewis (alcoholic, drug-abusing, confessed pervert--nah, he couldn't have committed exactly the same acts on his 13-year old, could he?) is off the hook because he picked a state for his depredations whose bizarre laws permitted what was proscribed in Polanski's case???  (Or is the problem that ol' Roman neglected to choose a blood relative as his target?)  The don't-ask-don't-tell rule absolves you from thinking about the pervs whose works litter your own music collection???   It's perfectly okay--nay, mandatory-- to trash the hundreds of non-child-molesting contributors to Polanski's movies to make a "statement" about not putting money in the sinner's pockets (even though in all probability not one thin dime will ever reach said sinner, who has already been paid whatever he was going to get)???

Puh-leeeeeeeeeeze.

I will now use short words and sentences.  Maybe you can finally wrap your tiny mind around them.   </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Child molesting is bad.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">If Roman is caught, make him serve the time.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">You want to boycott his movies, go ahead.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Others disagree, you respect their choice.</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">
 See if you can focus on those simple points, and stop pulling snarky bullshit out of your butt.

ggw

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2003, 12:53:00 pm »
  At no point in this dialogue (and I use that term loosely, since you seem incapable of actually comprehending what anyone else writes) have I or anyone else suggested absolving Polanski of responsibility for his behavior
You seem to have trouble remembering what you posted:

However, in view of Polanski's having already suffered more than anyone should have to bear, and the fact that there was at least an element of consent (to the extent one believes that possible for a minor--but then, we were letting Jerry Lee Lewis off the hook on that score, weren't we?) in the crime, and most of all that the victim appears to have been able to enjoy a more or less normal life afterwards and has forgiven the perp, I believe that a position of forgiveness and moving on would also bear one's respect.
Or will you now offer some tired semantic discourse on the distinction between "forgive and move on" and "absolve"?

You have attempted to sell a false dichotomy, and I'm not buying.  You seem to think that holding someone responsible for his actions requires total, permanent, scorched-earth jihad against every aspect of his being, and that failure to follow your dogma is a mark of moral degeneracy.  That, my friend, is simple selfish hatemongering wrapped in a veneer of sanctimony..
I'm saying that there is a fugitive child molestor living in France who makes his living by selling movies.  I'm saying that if one attends his movies one is contributing to his economic welfare.

Would one willingly choose to contribute to the well-being of a fugitive child molestor?  If so, why?

The only answers seem to be, "Maybe the 13-year old girl wanted it."  "Why wasn't the girl's mother around?"  "Leave him alone, he's a great filmmaker." and anything else that can minimize Polanski's responsibility.

Hitler made the trains run on time and revitalized the German economy.  Let's praise him too.

I will not apologize for taking a moral position based on hating the sin, not the sinner.  I spit on your characterization of considering the whole context as "moral relativism."  I laugh at the foolish inconsistency of your arguments.  Jerry Lee Lewis (alcoholic, drug-abusing, confessed pervert--nah, he couldn't have committed exactly the same acts on his 13-year old, could he?) is off the hook because he picked a state for his depredations whose bizarre laws permitted what was proscribed in Polanski's case???  (Or is the problem that ol' Roman neglected to choose a blood relative as his target?)  The don't-ask-don't-tell rule absolves you from thinking about the pervs whose works litter your own music collection???   It's perfectly okay--nay, mandatory-- to trash the hundreds of non-child-molesting contributors to Polanski's movies to make a "statement" about not putting money in the sinner's pockets (even though in all probability not one thin dime will ever reach said sinner, who has already been paid whatever he was going to get)???
Jerry Lee Lewis is sick.  Please refer to my earlier post where I stated that.  I hope Arkansas, or whatever back-ass state it was, has changed the laws.  But last time I checked, he wasn't a fugitive, there were no charges of rape, no charges of drugging, no charges of sodomy.

As for my record collection, the fact that you continue to try to construct this flimsy house of cards based on speculation, supposition, and flawed logic to support your claim of moral equivalency between Polanski and all the artists in my record collection is ridiculous.

You say my music collection is tainted because of the actions of somebody represented in it. Can you give any names?  Nope. Can you point to any incidents? Nope. You don't even bother to offer up some saucey snippet from Pamela des Barres or anything even remotely tangential to your assertion.  Instead, based purely on conjecture, you just proclaim that somewhere, at some point in time, somebody may have committed some act, that may in some way bear some resemblance to a specifically identifiable man, convicted of a specifically identified crime which he has never denied, and that this is equivalent.

Further, you assert that this chimerical transgression stains all of my music.  As though I have argued that Polanski's act means all movies and directors are guilty of his crimes.

Clearly, you are the expert at foolish inconsistency.

I will now use short words and sentences.  Maybe you can finally wrap your tiny mind around them.   </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Child molesting is bad.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">If Roman is caught, make him serve the time.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">You want to boycott his movies, go ahead.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Others disagree, you respect their choice.</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">
  See if you can focus on those simple points, and stop pulling snarky bullshit out of your butt. [/b]
Readinz phun......

Liberte

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2003, 02:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Readinz phun......
Sure is.  You should learn how to do it sometime.  

Since it it now established beyond a reasonable doubt that you have not the decency to refrain from lying, misrepresentation, and sophistry in the attempted defense of your absurd jihad against anyone who disagrees with you, I believe it's best to let you fester alone in your obsession.  If you don't like the fact that others find value in art, regardless of whether the artist is a saint or a monster, tough shit.

ggw

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2003, 02:41:00 pm »
  Since it it now established beyond a reasonable doubt that you have not the decency to refrain from lying, misrepresentation, and sophistry in the attempted defense of your absurd jihad against anyone who disagrees with you, I believe it's best to let you fester alone in your obsession.  If you don't like the fact that others find value in art, regardless of whether the artist is a saint or a monster, tough shit.
So you concede that you can't fight my arguments?

Well then, I graciously accept your white flag.

Thanks for playing.

His art may be great, but it is also his economic production and the source of his livelihood.  I'm curious how people are comfortable with supporting him through the consumption of his art.  

People boycott the economic production of Wal Mart and Starbucks and Gap and dozens of other corporations because they represent union busting or gentrification or sweatshops.  However, when it comes to an "artiste," it's somehow different, even if the artist is a fugitive child molester.  The only explanation given is that because it is "art" we are talking about, the typical considerations don't apply.  I don't buy it. And if that makes me a moral absolutist, then a moral absolutist I will happily be.

Liberte

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2003, 03:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  So you concede that you can't fight my arguments?
No.  I concede that you have no regard for the conventions of civilized rational discourse, are incapable of comprehending viewpoints other than your own, are a completely self-oblivious hypocrite, and bore the shit out of me.  And I've given you more than sufficient opportunity to convince many others reading this board of the same things.  So why should I bother wasting any more time on you?

Um, that was a rhetorical question.  No need to answer.

Celeste

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2003, 03:52:00 pm »
 So why should I bother wasting any more time on you?
ah, but having already invested so much time into this, it would be a shame to quit now....

Liberte

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2003, 04:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

So why should I bother wasting any more time on you?
ah, but having already invested so much time into this, it would be a shame to quit now.... [/b]
LOL.  Y'know, Celeste, I did consider that point of view.  But the old maxim finally prevailed, "Never wrestle with a pig--you'll get all dirty and the pig will just enjoy it."  So I'm scraping the muck off and looking for something less greasy for my next bout   ;)