Author Topic: Top 40 living directors  (Read 13111 times)

Jaguär

Re: Top 40 living directors
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2003, 06:18:00 pm »
From the accounts that I've read in the past, the girl's mother sort of encouraged her to go along with Polanski. Whether or not she considered what it would lead to, I don't know, but she had to have some clue as to the potential of what could happen. No, this does not excuse Polanski's part whatsoever. I'm only stating how the girl didn't have the best of direction (no pun intended) in the parental department. Sort of like all the young girls led into prostitution in Bangkok. Though I'm highly against all of that sort of stuff, you could argue it being a cultural difference. Not one I'm likely to accept, btw.

To answer your question Thirsty, Jack wasn't home. Some could play their little legal games and act like he's to blame too because he owned the property but if he knew nothing about what was going on, how on Earth could you rightfully blame him? (I don't know what he did or didn't know prior to leaving his home with Polanski.)

ggw

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2003, 07:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Liberte:
 What the %$#! are you on about?
 Find where I said you were off topic, or that "off topic" was the issue.
 get off your high horse about other peoples' choice to stick with the explicit topic of discussion

Find where I said anything about exonerating anybody.

You can't because, as any idiot with a passing knowledge of reading English prose could tell, I said no such things.
No, you never said that directly.  However, you claimed that it is inconsistent to own some records that may have been made by someone who may have raped somebody and to simultaneously condemn the work of Polanski who did molest a child. The implication is that since the ownership of the records implies that nothing is held against some people who may have done something Polanski definitely did, one can't hold anything against Polanski.

What I object to is your attempt to inflict upon everyone else your view of the proper response to Polanski's art.
I'm not entitled to state my opinion and argue for it?

I took considerable pains to point out that you are entitled both to make and to advocate that response.
Wait.....So I am entitled to state my opinion and argue for it?

Make up your mind.

If you try to cram it down my throat as the only possible morally acceptable position, plan on getting it spat right back in your face.
That's okay by me.  You're welcome to argue your points as vociferously as I argue mine.

Polanski's inexcusable behavior isn't the only example of heinous in this thread.  (Oh, and by the way, the former 13-year-old in question seems to take a somewhat more forgiving stance about the offense in question:    http://www.vachss.com/mission/roman_polanski.html   "Samantha Geimer, who lives in Hawaii with her husband and three sons, went public in March to say she forgave Polanski for drugging her and raping her when she was a starstruck kid. She told London's Mail on Sunday that he should be pardoned. ")
If a guy beats the shit out of his wife and she declines to press charges, is that okay? This is a criminal matter not a civil matter.

I'm glad the victim has forgiven Polanski. It's been thirty years and she probably realized long ago that the healthy thing to do was to "forgive" him and put the incident behind her and move on with her life.  More power to her.  However, that doesn't mean the crime never happened and he didn't take off to avoid paying the price.  

Twisting someone's words to deflect attention from an insupportable moral absolutism is heinous.  Accusing someone who disagrees with you of being a child molester himself is heinous.
It was an implication, not an accusation, "as any idiot with a passing knowledge of reading English prose could tell."

According to your logic, none of us should ever forgive you for those crimes of Talibanistic mendaciousness and slander, right?
Uh huh.....

Please stick to your moral relativism if it makes you feel better.  Just remember, it's a completely bankrupt philosophy, as it has the strange logical property of not being able to deny the truth of its own contradiction.

ggw

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2003, 07:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by markie:
 I do not remember the specifics of the case, but where were the girls parents? Did Polanski have reason to believe the girl was of legal age? I always got the impression she was consenting, I mean if not what was she doing there in the first place and she didnt put up a fight. Furthermore he wasnt a sicko with some pre-pubescent girl.
Polanski told the girl and the mother that he thought she would be a good model and he would take some pictures and submit them to French Vogue.  He took some photos of her on one occasion when the mother was present, and then invited her back for a second "shoot."

He was a sicko with some pre-pubescent girl.  Or do you really believe that giving a 13-year old champagne and a quaalude and then sodomizing her despite her protests is not sick?

But does making a terrible, heinous, stupid mistake, negate anything positive you do in your life? Can you really not judge an artist by his art and not his life.

What about art that touches on child abuse. Did you never enjoy, or empathise with humbert-humbert?
If you knew your plumber was a fugitive child molester, would you choose to use him as your plumber?

I'm sure his art is great, but, like I said, I can't see how anyone would choose to put money in his pocket while he remains on the lam for child molestation.

Liberte

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2003, 12:42:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

What the %$#! are you on about?
 Find where I said you were off topic, or that "off topic" was the issue.
 And GGW tries to palm this off as his "example"????

get off your high horse about other peoples' choice to stick with the explicit topic of discussion

Ye gods.  Since when does "Get off your high horse about OTHER PEOPLES' CHOICE to stick with the explicit topic..."  equal "You are off topic" ?  Don't answer, you're bound to get it wrong at your current hit rate.  The correct answer is never, in any language.

Find where I said anything about exonerating anybody.

You can't because, as any idiot with a passing knowledge of reading English prose could tell, I said no such things.
No, you never said that directly.  

Goddamned right.  And the following crock of shit is about as poor an excuse at self-justification for having made an insupportable accusation as one could ask for.  You utterly missed the point.  Let me try again:  It is certainly inconsistent to claim moral superiority over other POSTERS HERE for choosing to admire (or pay for)Polanski's art when you yourself, beyond a shadow of a doubt, admire AND pay for works of art by people who have committed equally reprehensible acts.  The problem is your GGW's-shit-doesn't-stink attitude toward other discussants, not your condemnation of Polanski.

However, you claimed that it is inconsistent to own some records that may have been made by someone who may have raped somebody and to simultaneously condemn the work of Polanski who did molest a child. The implication is that since the ownership of the records implies that nothing is held against some people who may have done something Polanski definitely did, one can't hold anything against Polanski.

What I object to is your attempt to inflict upon everyone else your view of the proper response to Polanski's art.
I'm not entitled to state my opinion and argue for it?

I took considerable pains to point out that you are entitled both to make and to advocate that response.
Wait.....So I am entitled to state my opinion and argue for it?

Make up your mind.

Ye gods (again).  My position on your right to your own opinion was firmly established before you began this sophistry.

Twisting someone's words to deflect attention from an insupportable moral absolutism is heinous.  Accusing someone who disagrees with you of being a child molester himself is heinous.
It was an implication, not an accusation, "as any idiot with a passing knowledge of reading English prose could tell."

Implying that somebody is guilty of something--especially in the service of an ignoble end like evading his point--is functionally equivalent to accusing him of it.  Ad hominem is ad hominem is ad hominem, and it does not become one so intent on hogging the high moral ground to stoop to such tactics.

According to your logic, none of us should ever forgive you for those crimes of Talibanistic mendaciousness and slander, right?
Uh huh.....

Please stick to your moral relativism if it makes you feel better.  Just remember, it's a completely bankrupt philosophy, as it has the strange logical property of not being able to deny the truth of its own contradiction. [/b]
 Moral relativism is a completely irrelevant term in regard to my argument, which is simply that you do not have the right, which you have attempted to arrogate, to impugn others for choosing to consider a man's art and life separately.  What's more to the point is the moral indefensibility of misrepresenting others' words and slandering them, and then having the brass balls to lecture them regarding their ethical shortsightedness.

From your next post:

If you knew your plumber was a fugitive child molester, would you choose to use him as your plumber?

I'm sure his art is great, but, like I said, I can't see how anyone would choose to put money in his pocket while he remains on the lam for child molestation.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, some progress.  The topic of the thread was, "Whose art as a director qualifies for a top 40 living practitioners list?"  Personally, I'd put him on the list for some truly extraordinary movies in his oevre.  That certainly does not mean I'm in favor of child rape, thank you very much.  I believe the board consensus on that non-issue which you've attempted to club people with would be entirely one-sided.

I can also state with confidence that I wouldn't let the fellow anywhere near my plumbing.  :D  

As I've said now several times, you are free to argue against Polanski's belonging on that list FOR ANY REASON YOU LIKE.  What is out of bounds in civilized discourse is condemning others' moral fitness for having the temerity to disagree with your criteria.  Dump that holier-than-thou-ness, and we have no substantive argument.

markie

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2003, 12:00:00 pm »
"GGW.....If you knew your plumber was a fugitive child molester, would you choose to use him as your plumber?

I'm sure his art is great, but, like I said, I can't see how anyone would choose to put money in his pocket while he remains on the lam for child molestation. "

This seems to be the crux of your argument and quite compelling too. But I guess the point is he is not a plumber. He makes great movies. Personally I think it probably takes more skill to make great works of art than fix pipe work.

If he were a plumber, the irony is, you probably wouldnt know he was a child molester and you would get him to unclog your shitter.

Unless you are saying that you ask every company or person if they are a child molester/criminal before you accept their products or services?

But I am sure he is not the first person ever to do something odious? Do you not watch Woody Allen movies anymore? How about the rolling stones? Bill Wyman started an affair with Mandy Smith when she was 13.

Your argument does however have an anolgy with science performed under the nazi regime. For years no one would go near it with a barge pole....

markie

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2003, 12:03:00 pm »
Liberte....

"I believe the board consensus on that non-issue which you've attempted to club people with would be entirely one-sided."

Just because an argument is one sided or only one person holds a belief, it does not make that argument or belief incorrect. You know the earth is round because Galileo said so, right?

mankie

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2003, 12:22:00 pm »
I really do see both sides to this discussion and agree with both....regardless of his personal past, if he makes great movies he makes great movies. That being said, I personally would never go see one of his movies and put money in his pocket just on principal, and missing a good movie will not cause me great pain or misery. That is MY decision and I wouldn't try to force my decision on anyone else.

I think it's time for all to simply agree to disagree and move on.

markie

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2003, 12:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

I think it's time for all to simply agree to disagree and move on.
spoilsport..... I think it was an interesting debate. I had never thought about it before at all.

Liberte

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2003, 02:53:00 pm »
  Liberte....

"I believe the board consensus on that non-issue which you've attempted to club people with would be entirely one-sided."

Just because an argument is one sided or only one person holds a belief, it does not make that argument or belief incorrect. You know the earth is round because Galileo said so, right?
Markie, what I actually meant (forgive me if this was not clear) was that a referendum on whether child molesting was a bad thing would have a one-sided outcome.  Um, right?  Or do we have someone that would like to stand up for the chickenhawk contingent?  I found it somewhat appalling that the argument seemed, at times, to be cast in terms of "If you disagree with me about Polanski, you must think that drugging and raping children is OK."

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2003, 03:02:00 pm »
Give Polanski a break.   "...his mother [...] dying in Auschwitz at eight months pregnant [...]married with a baby on the way, his first American film, Rosemaryâ??s Babyâ??s in theatersâ?? Polanskiâ??s personal life was uprooted. Along with three of Polanskiâ??s friends, Charles Mansonâ??s infamous clan murdered and dismembered Tate "  

His mother and wife both murdered while pregnant?

Has he been found guilty in absentia of 'unlawful sexual intercourse' yet.  No?  Well, then what about the presumption of innocence?

Liberte

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2003, 04:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
  Give Polanski a break.   "...his mother [...] dying in Auschwitz at eight months pregnant [...]married with a baby on the way, his first American film, Rosemaryâ??s Babyâ??s in theatersâ?? Polanskiâ??s personal life was uprooted. Along with three of Polanskiâ??s friends, Charles Mansonâ??s infamous clan murdered and dismembered Tate "  

His mother and wife both murdered while pregnant?

Has he been found guilty in absentia of 'unlawful sexual intercourse' yet.  No?  Well, then what about the presumption of innocence?
Polanski pled guilty to one count of, I think it was "unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor" before fleeing in advance of his sentencing hearing.  So there is no defense of presumptive innocence.

As you correctly point out, though, the guy has led a fairly horrific life.  Being imprisoned inside his own skin is not such a fabulous upgrade over the jail time he would likely have gotten had he not skipped the country.  There's a whole school of aesthetic philosophy which maintains that such guilt and misery is a necessary precondition for the creation of great art.  (Now there's a thread topic that can lead to endless debate....)

I don't believe, however, that that bails Polanski out of responsibility for his actions.  So I have to respect Mankie's position, which I believe is a less absolutist version of where GGW was coming from.  However, in view of Polanski's having already suffered more than anyone should have to bear, and the fact that there was at least an element of consent (to the extent one believes that possible for a minor--but then, we were letting Jerry Lee Lewis off the hook on that score, weren't we?) in the crime, and most of all that the victim appears to have been able to enjoy a more or less normal life afterwards and has forgiven the perp, I believe that a position of forgiveness and moving on would also bear one's respect.

swell

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2003, 03:28:00 pm »
Dear Liberace,

AHHH. I stop in now and again to read some of these posts in the 930 Forum - and I love it when I run into one like this.  It reminds me how great it is to be a human being -  you know - with free will - freedom of choice - freedom of speech.  And I love it when someone like you comes along (I have a feeling you must be at the stage of menopause) and pretends to have the answers and take control of the situation.  

I - for one - agree with GGW (regardless of what the topic of this thread was - because on this postboard no one EVER sticks to the topic) and I would never spend a penny towards anyone who molested a child.  

So in the spirt of Freedom of Speech - Go Suck a Donkey Dick.  :p

Liberte

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2003, 04:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by swell:
  Dear Liberace,

AHHH. I stop in now and again to read some of these posts in the 930 Forum - and I love it when I run into one like this.  It reminds me how great it is to be a human being -  you know - with free will - freedom of choice - freedom of speech.  And I love it when someone like you comes along (I have a feeling you must be at the stage of menopause) and pretends to have the answers and take control of the situation.  

I - for one - agree with GGW (regardless of what the topic of this thread was - because on this postboard no one EVER sticks to the topic) and I would never spend a penny towards anyone who molested a child.  

So in the spirt of Freedom of Speech - Go Suck a Donkey Dick.    :D

flawd101

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2003, 04:58:00 pm »
god, i hate long posts......

and i don't know shit so i wont post my opinions....

flawd101

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2003, 05:00:00 pm »
god, i hate long posts......

and i don't know shit so i wont post my opinions....and no one would agree with me,..,.