Author Topic: late night eateries in DC  (Read 5719 times)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
Re: late night eateries in DC
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

Originally posted by Julian, gay agenda ILLUMINATI:

Originally posted by you be betty:

but why don't you skip out on both and use something that won't hurt your arteries like preserves?
Interesting idea -- can you find information on the calories in preserves vs. margarine? [/b]
average is about 56 calories per tablespoon, which about half the amount from butter and margarine, per tablespoon. . of course, you're looking at an increase in sugar.  

maybe i just don't understand the obsession with calories. [/b]
Aside from the whole calorie thing, jam is just better for you.  As the daughter of a father who consumes a lot of margarine and had a heart attack a couple of years ago, I just prefer to avoid the stuff all together.  When I am looking to spread something on toast/whatever, I just don't even think of it as an option.  There are so many other delicious and healthy things that you can spread on shit out there (jam, farmer cheese, organic peanut butter), so why should I put pure fat on my toast?  I don't know..I've never been a fan.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  Aside from the whole calorie thing, jam is just better for you.  As the daughter of a father who consumes a lot of margarine and had a heart attack a couple of years ago, I just prefer to avoid the stuff all together.  When I am looking to spread something on toast/whatever, I just don't even think of it as an option.  There are so many other delicious and healthy things that you can spread on shit out there (jam, farmer cheese, organic peanut butter), so why should I put pure fat on my toast?  I don't know..I've never been a fan.
that's fine, i'm not really taking issue with that, i mean i eat toast plain because i don't like the straight taste of butter (can't do without it in baking and in other cooking though, it is indispensible chemically).  

i'm more interested in the so-called health benefits, because that seems to me to viewing eating in a negative light.  i've probably read too much michael pollan (and watched too much alton brown and anthony bourdain), which is why i simply do not understand why someone would choose margarine over butter (and the whole, if you can't pronounce an ingredient, you probably shouldn't eat it).
OU812

jabella

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 12:21:00 am »
I didn't realize people at these late night joints were so calorie conscious.  I eat like a fiend once the drinking is done.  I do admit I'll often skip breakfast and lunch the next day as penance.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 09:59:00 am »
Stop with the health talk! Who the hell really cares at 3am after you've been out drinking and full of booze? You're looking for something to soak up the booze and fill your belly. Usually, the best things are greasy and full of fats. Deal with it for ONE night. Unless you're a professional drunk and out every night of the week, then I'd suggest Jammin's idea and skip a few meals the next day lol

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Cali

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 11:35:00 am »
only reason to use margarine is if you need something spreadable. other than that, i like to use real butter. and i love alton brown and good eats

slowgraffiti

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2008, 11:46:00 am »
Originally posted by Cali:
  only reason to use margarine is if you need something spreadable. other than that, i like to use real butter. and i love alton brown and good eats
alton brown used margarine instead of butter in the yellow cake episode... it might have even been butter flavored shortening. he had his reasons, but i still haven't forgiven him for that one.

Cali

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »
really? now i'll look around for that ep to see why he'd do that.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by slowgraffiti:

Originally posted by Cali:
alton brown used margarine instead of butter in the yellow cake episode... it might have even been butter flavored shortening. he had his reasons, but i still haven't forgiven him for that one. [/b]
actually, it looks like he uses  shortening instead of margarine.  there are probably heat-related reasons for using shortening over butter in this instance (and since it appears the episode is about interpreting an old recipe, shortening was probably used as butter replacement during butter shortages).  but i'd rather make a  mayonnaise cake than a shortening cake.
OU812

slowgraffiti

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »
i think it was because the water content in butter is too high. and then he said that he thought that the shortening tasted more like butter than butter!

Cali

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »
oh okay, i understand the shortening.

not so sure about a mayo cake, but i'd try it.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2008, 11:07:00 am »
Butter v margarine is neither her nor there.....it's eating at 3am then going home and sleeping till noon that's going to turn you into a lard-arse. Not to mention the gallons of booze you've probably swilled prior to your midnight feast.