Author Topic: Editors/stellastarr*  (Read 6158 times)

ggw

Re: Editors/stellastarr*
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2006, 11:50:00 am »
POP MUSIC
 Friday, March 31, 2006; Page C08

Stellastarr* and Editors

Although Stellastarr* and Editors hail from different sides of the Atlantic, the two quartets proved an exceptionally compatible double bill Wednesday night at the 9:30 club. Both bands were fronted by coolly theatrical baritones, and played music rooted in the circa-1980 style -- call it new wave, post-punk, orange roughy or whatever -- characterized by stately tempos and airy, keyboard-emulating guitars.

The headlining Stellastarr* basically played tidy '80s-revival rock, with underpinnings of funk, while frontman Shawn Christensen's vocals and lyrics operated somewhere between Joy Division's ritualized despair and Roxy Music's matinee-idol elegance. Such archly titled tunes as "Damn This Foolish Heart" exemplified the New York band's capital-R romanticism. The Brill Building pop quality of "Love and Longing's" melody was more explicit on stage, but otherwise the show didn't significantly expand on the group's new album, "Harmonies for the Haunted."

The odd thing about Editors was that their music was faster than it sounded. Tom Smith and Chris Urbanowicz's guitars often seethed at a punky speed and the rhythm section kept pace. A few songs even ended with noisy rave-ups.

Yet Smith's vocal melodies floated serenely over the ferment, establishing their own deliberate, and dominant, rhythm. This strategy could have yielded music that was lugubrious -- and did, on the two songs where Smith switched from guitar to keyboards -- but generally the Birmingham band sounded warmer than on its recent album, "The Back Room." Such mid-tempo rockers as "Bullets" (the group's most Bunnymen-like number) and "All Sparks" retained their aloof grandeur while adding a welcome touch of messy humanity.

-- Mark Jenkins

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/31/AR2006033100388.html

amnesiac

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  I've been mistaking stellastarr* for some other band -- don't know which one, but a mellow band
Starsailor?

Sage 703

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2006, 12:31:00 pm »

amnesiac

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2006, 05:11:00 pm »
I'm thinking about checking this show out at Sonar. I was surprised to see that it's on the club stage. Anyone know how big that room is?

And is stellastarr* headlining every night or do they switch off?

Driveway

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2006, 06:02:00 pm »
I wish I would have been there for Editors.  Thanks to iTunes for the free download a few weeks ago. Muncih is nice.

scottlemuelwilliams

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2006, 06:38:00 pm »
Is it worth a trip to Sonar tomorrow?

mansfield

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2006, 10:07:00 am »
I made it up to Baltimore last night to see the Editors and so glad I did. It was nice to see them play a small venue. They were asking the crowd if Baltimore was really that dangerous. I guess they had heard it was pretty rough. Thought that was funny. I love how down to earth they are and hope it doesn't take so long for a stateside record release this time.

Sage 703

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by mansfield:
  I made it up to Baltimore last night to see the Editors and so glad I did. It was nice to see them play a small venue. They were asking the crowd if Baltimore was really that dangerous. I guess they had heard it was pretty rough. Thought that was funny. I love how down to earth they are and hope it doesn't take so long for a stateside record release this time.
I also went up to this show, after seeing them at 9:30.  Wow - Sonar's club stage is a hidden gem.  Great sound, half the size of Black Cat, and drawing some impressive bands.  Runs the risk of pulling me away from the 9:30 for some shows.

And Editors, again, were fantastic.

amnesiac

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2006, 12:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
 I also went up to this show, after seeing them at 9:30.  Wow - Sonar's club stage is a hidden gem.  Great sound, half the size of Black Cat, and drawing some impressive bands.  Runs the risk of pulling me away from the 9:30 for some shows.

And Editors, again, were fantastic.
Agreed - great show. That was my first time at Sonar's club stage, and is now easily one of my favorite places to see a band.