Author Topic: Which local band will break this year?  (Read 5536 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Which local band will break this year?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 10:35:00 am »
Originally posted by Lunadisarm:
  high profile bloggers.
thats sounds like an oxymoron to me.  i dont know, something about it makes me chuckle quite heartily!

Sage 703

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 10:56:00 am »
Georgie James.

Guiny

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 12:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:
 Popularity has no bearing on my enjoyment of a band. Never has. [/QB]
That's great to hear, rare around here, but great to hear.

ggw

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 12:22:00 pm »
So, according to Rob Gee the board doesn't like anything that's popular but according to redsock the board only likes what's popular.

I'm so confused.......

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 12:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  So, according to Rob Gee the board doesn't like anything that's popular but according to redsock the board only likes what's popular.

I'm so confused.......
I dont think its you who is confused. perhaps its the resident New Englanders on the board, who are confused.  ;)

Bags

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 12:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:

Popularity has no bearing on my enjoyment of a band. Never has. [/b]
That's great to hear, rare around here, but great to hear. [/QB]
Oops, I guess this means I should peel the Foo Fighters bumper sticker off my car and remove the Kelly Clarkson ringtone from my Verizon phone...  Silly me.   ;)

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 01:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by Rob_Gee:

Popularity has no bearing on my enjoyment of a band. Never has. [/b]
That's great to hear, rare around here, but great to hear. [/b]
Oops, I guess this means I should peel the Foo Fighters bumper sticker off my car and remove the Kelly Clarkson ringtone from my Verizon phone...  Silly me.    ;)  [/QB]
you have a Foo Fighters sticker on an Escalade????

;)

tobyd

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 01:51:00 pm »
I'm rooting for Nethers.  Lord knows they've earned it.

They're back from the road and in DC this Saturday.  Friday in Baltimore according to their site.

http://www.netherscomputer.com/

Cheers,
 Toby

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 02:17:00 pm »

Originally posted by Darth Ed:

Originally posted by Jaguar:
 Also, Dead Heart Bloom (ex-Phaser) just released a new album and they play what I think is their debut show tomorrow night (Tues.) at Iota with some special additions to their set. Should be a good night.
Being a Phaser fan, I decided I'd go to this. Due to my own stupidity, I just kind of assumed that Dead Heart Bloom was headlining the show. Well, I was wrong, and I got there at like 9:15 just in time to hear the last song and a half of DHB's set.         :mad:         It took me like 45 minutes to get there since I live in Maryland. I just couldn't believe they weren't the headliners. The guy/band that performed after them wasn't nearly as good. Nearly everyone in the audience left after the DHB set. The few that remained weren't even listening to the so-called headliner. I was kind of pissed. Fortunately, the guy at the door took pity on me and gave me $5 back of the $10 I paid to get into the show, and I bought the DHB CD for $8 with that instead. Anyway, what little I heard of Dead Heart Bloom was very good. [/b]
Darth, I'm pretty sure I met you. You had asked me which band was on stage just after their set completed.

DHB was very short only playing seven songs for just 30 minutes. I thought they were great and having the 4-piece string session was a nice touch. But the relatively short set just left me wanting more. Their popularity will grow for sure and hopefully they headline a few area gigs. [/b]
Kurosawa and I were also both surprised that DHB opened. Kurosawa mentioned that it may have been due to hiring the time of the string section that may have warrented that and she may be right. Hopefully, they will headline next time.

The performance was incredible. Boris is such a sensitive musician. He doesn't depend on banging on the piano keys but, instead, handles them ever so gently. His rendition of Folsom Prison Blues is the song that blew me away live though Sodom is my favorite on the CD. He handles it so gently and gives is such a different yet beautiful side than it normally has.

The set was short but I regarded it as only the very beginning for the band. An introduction.

I already knew ahead of time that Paul Wood (ex-Phaser) would be joining in on guitar but was also pleasantly surprised to see Ritse, Phaser's original drummer, join them. (Even though I liked the new drummer, I always preferred Ritse.) All of Phaser were in the room in some capacity.

The last song performed will be on the new EP due out this Summer. Rhett, you are guaranteed to love this one!

eltee

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 02:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  Georgie James.
Think they'd sign? I dig 'em but not sure about national level.

eltee

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 02:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  didn't we talk about this last year?  i'd be curious to see that thread and see how it worked out (ggw?) ...
I was going to ask the same...I think we started that thread late in the year. Exit Clov was up there, as was WSC, if I recall correctly.
 I heard a couple of people mentioning WSC &  I think there was a big line at their showcase. If that means anything. (non-locals were mentioning them)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 02:51:00 pm »
I still think that Dead Meadow are in the running. They did pretty well with their recent change in direction and have picked up a few fans around the world. All that seemed to slow down somewhat recently but then I just read that they will be touring and opening for Dinosaur, Jr.. so I'm sure that will be a big boost for them. Think I may have read that they are coming out with a new CD but I'm not really positive of that. It all blurs together after awhile. Would be good timing for them just to keep the momentum going.

Bags

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mike Rohsopht:

you have a Foo Fighters sticker on an Escalade????

;)  [/b]
I know, I know...the sticker devalues the car.  But it's so small on that monster luxury vehicle, and I'm a fun gal!!!    :cool:

Sage 703

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 04:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Kele Rippah:

Originally posted by callat703:
  Georgie James.
Think they'd sign? I dig 'em but not sure about national level. [/b]
Yep, I do.  I think they're are a perfect fit for a label like Matador, or perhaps some of the other indies.  I could see them on Barsuk, or even Sub Pop or Polyvinyl.  They've got the image down, and I imagine they have the business knowledge and contacts (what with John's background in Q&NU) to get a deal before too long.  Whether or not it will be that big, I don't know.  But that's my guess.

Darth Ed

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 05:40:00 pm »
 Darth, I'm pretty sure I met you. You had asked me which band was on stage just after their set completed.
Yep, that was me. Nice to have met you!