Author Topic: Which local band will break this year?  (Read 5534 times)

Disaffection

• http://www.mp3.com/disaffection
Which local band will break this year?
« on: March 27, 2006, 07:02:00 pm »
Any thoughts on which local band will break onto the national scene this year?  Land a label deal? Etc.?

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Which local band will break this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 07:21:00 pm »
Alcian Blue just signed a deal with Elephant Stone records. They're working on the new album now.

Also, Dead Heart Bloom (ex-Phaser) just released a new album and they play what I think is their debut show tomorrow night (Tues.) at Iota with some special additions to their set. Should be a good night.

Lunadisarm

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:13:00 pm »
The Hard Tomorrows... they're starting to get written up by high profile bloggers.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 10:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Lunadisarm:
  The Hard Tomorrows... they're starting to get written up by high profile bloggers.
Yeah, you're right. They are definitely in the running.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 10:42:00 pm »
How about the Nethers... They certainly are willing to hit the road to promote themselves..

I like the Bonaparts and Middle Distance Runner but they are both bands going the self release route and may be able to hit the road to promote themselves.
T.Rex

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 11:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  How about the Nethers... They certainly are willing to hit the road to promote themselves..

I think the Nethers definitely have a shot.  

Washington Social Club will be releasing a new album this summer, according to their drummer.  I'd love to see them get really established on the national scene.  I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 11:54:00 pm »
didn't we talk about this last year?  i'd be curious to see that thread and see how it worked out (ggw?) ... like i said before, i think WSC are past their sell-by date for breaking big, but who the hell knows, maybe they'll catch a break

i still think cartel/cedars could do well, i really liked their new material when i saw them somewhat recently, and i'm looking forward to hearing it recorded ... when's that coming out fico?

and i agree about the nethers ... they look like they're doing all the right things to try to catch on, and i like their sound a lot
(o|o)

OffKeyMelodies24

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 11:59:00 pm »
33 West.

thistimeiwin

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 12:15:00 am »
I don't really most here much...but All Time Low are looking to become fairly big in the pop punk/whatever you want to call it scene.

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 06:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  like i said before, i think WSC are past their sell-by date for breaking big, but who the hell knows, maybe they'll catch a break

Unfortunately, I feel you on that one.  That had a bunch of buzz like two years ago with a spot on Carson Daly and after their SXSW set, but I think they missed their chance.  I would just LOVE to see it happen.

Fico

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 06:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  didn't we talk about this last year?  i'd be curious to see that thread and see how it worked out (ggw?) ... like i said before, i think WSC are past their sell-by date for breaking big, but who the hell knows, maybe they'll catch a break

i still think cartel/cedars could do well, i really liked their new material when i saw them somewhat recently, and i'm looking forward to hearing it recorded ... when's that coming out fico?

and i agree about the nethers ... they look like they're doing all the right things to try to catch on, and i like their sound a lot
We start tracking at the end of May, spend June adding layers and ideas with a date set in July for mixing and mastering. So it should be late July for us. We are looking into 7 or 8 songs and choose from those that come out sounding as we'd like them to...we are also experimenting quite a bit with a "5th member", a Mac powerbook  :)

We're going all out on this one...with our lives outside the band I personally think the way to get signed will be doing a good record as we can't hit the road extensively without tour support/jeopardizing our bill paying jobs  :(

Darth Ed

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 01:00:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
 Also, Dead Heart Bloom (ex-Phaser) just released a new album and they play what I think is their debut show tomorrow night (Tues.) at Iota with some special additions to their set. Should be a good night.
Being a Phaser fan, I decided I'd go to this. Due to my own stupidity, I just kind of assumed that Dead Heart Bloom was headlining the show. Well, I was wrong, and I got there at like 9:15 just in time to hear the last song and a half of DHB's set.    :mad:    It took me like 45 minutes to get there since I live in Maryland. I just couldn't believe they weren't the headliners. The guy/band that performed after them wasn't nearly as good. Nearly everyone in the audience left after the DHB set. The few that remained weren't even listening to the so-called headliner. I was kind of pissed. Fortunately, the guy at the door took pity on me and gave me $5 back of the $10 I paid to get into the show, and I bought the DHB CD for $8 with that instead. Anyway, what little I heard of Dead Heart Bloom was very good.

helicon1

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 07:12:00 am »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:

Originally posted by Jaguar:
Being a Phaser fan, I decided I'd go to this. Due to my own stupidity, I just kind of assumed that Dead Heart Bloom was headlining the show. Well, I was wrong, and I got there at like 9:15 just in time to hear the last song and a half of DHB's set.     :mad:     It took me like 45 minutes to get there since I live in Maryland. I just couldn't believe they weren't the headliners. The guy/band that performed after them wasn't nearly as good. Nearly everyone in the audience left after the DHB set. The few that remained weren't even listening to the so-called headliner. I was kind of pissed. Fortunately, the guy at the door took pity on me and gave me $5 back of the $10 I paid to get into the show, and I bought the DHB CD for $8 with that instead. Anyway, what little I heard of Dead Heart Bloom was very good. [/b]
Darth, I'm pretty sure I met you. You had asked me which band was on stage just after their set completed.

DHB was very short only playing seven songs for just 30 minutes. I thought they were great and having the 4-piece string session was a nice touch. But the relatively short set just left me wanting more. Their popularity will grow for sure and hopefully they headline a few area gigs.

Guiny

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 09:20:00 am »
Hopefully none of them break out, if they do, then they will become too popular for you guys to like anymore.   :(

helicon1

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 10:03:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  Hopefully none of them break out, if they do, then they will become too popular for you guys to like anymore.    :(  
Popularity has no bearing on my enjoyment of a band. Never has.