Author Topic: DEVO!  (Read 4404 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: DEVO!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 12:36:22 am »
To best honest second night not nearly as good as the first, primarily because "Freedom Of Choice" isn't nearly as strong as "Are We Not Men....".   The album starts out with a band but fades by the end.  Maybe it was just me, but even the band seemed a bit bored by the time they hit the last track.  Such is the curse of having a lifetime to write a first album and then having to go right back into the studio to come up with another.  Devo always had better luck as a singles band...

I was thinking today that rather than playing entire albums they should have instead recreated concerts from 78 & 79 and 80.  It would have been great to get to hear Booji Boy doing "The Words Get Stuck In My Throat" and more of the pre AWNM tracks and b-sides.

A great resource for all things DEVO live

http://www.huboon.com/
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 03:12:11 am »
I commented to a friend at one point (after "Cold War" I think?) that it felt like they were rushing through this album faster than last night's.  Musically, it was what I expected. Very well-played but as stated above, Are We Not Men?...is a superior and higher-energy album which made for the better show.

I do enjoy me some analog synth, though.

What was up with the mini-mosh pit that broke out during "Secret Agent Man"? That was bizarre.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:14:37 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

andyrichter

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 10:52:16 am »
Mark was reading lyrics if anyone close to the stage noticed.  Not sure if he did that for the first night too?  Really good show again nontheless.  I agree night 1 was a little better b/c the songs are more dynamic.  I like the idea of playing shows dedicated to a time period.  That mosh pit that broke out at the end was no more bizarre than all the people who crossed their arms and stood there like statues through the whole show. I smiled when that happened thinking, wow, some DC folks do have a pulse. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:55:59 am by andyrichter »

azaghal1981

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 09:21:06 pm »
Hell yes!

It pays to search for "9:30 club" and "930 club" on dime once in a while:
{links to shows that did not allow recording removed}

Couple more random goodies
Black Flag 2/3/83: early show late show Beck 8/31/96

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:58:39 pm by thatguy »
احمد

hutch

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 10:00:37 am »
I was at that lame Beck show..he really sucked that night. Never have seen him since although some people swear by him.