Author Topic: DEVO!  (Read 4405 times)

El Jefe Design

DEVO!
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:46:37 am »

Devo, and the nice people of Warner Brothers, asked us to come up with several posters for the stay at the 9:30 Club with Sunday and Monday. They wanted each  poster to represent the albums they will be playing each night - Q: Are We Not Men A: We are Devo and Freedom of Choice. Each poster is a three color screen print on heavy white paper. This will be available at the shows and a small number will be available on Tuesday on our site http://www.eljefedesign.com

nkotb

Re: DEVO!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:28:10 am »
Those are pretty rad.

andyrichter

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 12:04:18 pm »
nice! really looking foward to both of these shows. 

bearman🐻

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 12:41:33 pm »
I am SO buying one of those posters. FANTASTIC job!

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 04:39:43 pm »
Want one of these on Sunday night..........great job!

hutch

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:19:10 am »
Awesome posters.. great to use DC landmarks.. Do more of that!!!!!!!!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 12:38:47 am »
DEVO tonight were loads better than that group of dads calling themselves DEVO that played at the club a few years back.   More in shape, playing with more urgency and having the proper introductory film on hand, all added up to a great show.   Which ended with a proper encore where most of the audience stayed in place cheering for about 10 minutes demanding the bands return for one last song.  Which payed off in the only appearance of Booji Boy for the evening.   And if you are sitting on the fence to whether or not to see the second night, they ripped through "Gates of Steel".
T.Rex

nkotb

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 12:59:07 am »
This...

DEVO tonight were loads better than that group of dads calling themselves DEVO that played at the club a few years back.   More in shape, playing with more urgency and having the proper introductory film on hand, all added up to a great show. 

And that...

Which ended with a proper encore where most of the audience stayed in place cheering for about 10 minutes demanding the bands return for one last song.  Which payed off in the only appearance of Booji Boy for the evening.

Oh yeah, and also this...

And if you are sitting on the fence to whether or not to see the second night, they ripped through "Gates of Steel".

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 01:13:30 am »
I just realized that I missed DEVO on their Freedom Of Choice tour, managed to catch them twice prior to that album coming out on.  One of those gigs which isn't even listed on the comprehensive DEVO tour history...
T.Rex

Here's the thing

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 01:14:26 am »
NOOOO! What did they play for the second encore? I don't know if I even want to know...

andyrichter

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 01:21:23 am »
DEVO tonight were loads better than that group of dads calling themselves DEVO that played at the club a few years back.   More in shape, playing with more urgency and having the proper introductory film on hand, all added up to a great show.   Which ended with a proper encore where most of the audience stayed in place cheering for about 10 minutes demanding the bands return for one last song.  Which payed off in the only appearance of Booji Boy for the evening.   And if you are sitting on the fence to whether or not to see the second night, they ripped through "Gates of Steel".

whoops!  i left after gates of steel. what was the last song they played?  although it was a way too short set (45 minutes maybe without the intro film?), minute for minute this ranks up as one of my favorites of the year.  they played with tons of energy and great showmanship.  loved mark going into the crowd.  josh freese fit like a glove.  i was really surprised at how fierce the songs came through live.  crowd was kinda lame from where i was standing front center.  in fact, i dared to pogo during gates of steel with a few other people.  the two rocks in front of me who hadn't twitched a muscle all night weren't having any of that.  god forbid they be touched at a devo show.   ::)

azaghal1981

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 02:07:07 am »
Everything Kosmo said.

The encore (first legitimate encore I've ever seen?) was "Beautiful World."
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 10:11:47 am »
I've been pretty lucky this year...that's two honest-to-goodness encores!  Crossing my fingers for another on Thursday.

Everything Kosmo said.

The encore (first legitimate encore I've ever seen?) was "Beautiful World."

calecp01

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 10:36:38 am »
High quality photos and review from last night:

http://www.brightestyoungthings.com/live-dc/livedc-devo-930-club/

soooooo good

Sir HC

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 12:28:11 pm »
What about JP Co?  He managed 13 minutes before jeers started.  I think that if it were a 20 minute set of the strong stuff, he could have kept people laughing, or made the news piece actually have some news, but as was, it was bloated at 30 minutes.

Devo ruled, yes peppier than last time too.