Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 5182 times)

sonickteam2

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 11:57:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by sonickteam4:
 its my girlfriend, not me. But i am sure to enjoy a happier woman at my house every evening. and thats priceless!
She will be working nights? [/b]
:)   nice....

Chip Chanko

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 11:59:00 am »
What sucks about when your current job gives you a counter-offer is that they may be totally pissed if you don't take it. My first job out of college wouldn't accept my resignation, made me a counter-offer, and kept asking my for reasons to explain why I was leaving. They wouldn't accept any of my reasons and kept asking for more and me being a stupid guy going through his first resignation kept telling them reasons. Needless to say I would never be able to get a good recommendation from that company...even though their persistance in trying to keep me on showed how much they liked me.

Anyway...when resigning, the less said the better. Don't tell how much the new place is offering. Don't give your reasons for leaving.

eltee

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 12:05:00 pm »

This place is a tiny mom/pop co. and i doubt could ask any more of her than they already do, but its a good point that in 3 weeks, dude could say, "later bitch, cause i found your replacement!"
I was going to ask if the "new" job is something of more interest. Sounds like it. There's a pay increase being offered, so best of both worlds.

Since she hasn't been happy at the present job, $10k will only be a band-aid and cause mental flip-flops.

But i am sure to enjoy a happier woman at my house every evening. and thats priceless!
There's a reason she went looking in the first place, eh?
  ;)

eltee

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 12:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  Anyway...when resigning, the less said the better. Don't tell how much the new place is offering. Don't give your reasons for leaving.
Yeah, there's no clean break-up ala Seinfeld. ;)

markie

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 12:08:00 pm »
Didnt this situation crop up on the board before?

Didn't the person tell the new employer about the counter offer, and then didn't  the new employer match it? I dont think it would hurt to be semi-honest with the future employer.

"I really want this new job, but my old employer has offered me $XXX"

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 12:12:00 pm »
  If you really really hated your job, almost everything about it, and finally you get a new job, for a small pay increase.  and when you told your old job the news of your departure, they asked how much you would be making at the new place.  When you decided to lie and tell them $10K MORE than you were actually hired at the new place for so they wouldnt try to match, they matched that number for you to stay....what would you do?
You should consider buying a handgun.  A big pistol.   A hand cannon, like a Desert Eagle.  Aim it at your current bosses thorax and say the following, "Go ahead, match their pay."

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 12:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by Miss MArKiE?:
  Didnt this situation crop up on the board before?

Didn't the person tell the new employer about the counter offer, and then didn't  the new employer match it? I dont think it would hurt to be semi-honest with the future employer.

"I really want this new job, but my old employer has offered me $XXX"
i think we thought of this and she decided she didnt want this new employer to think she was playing games trying to get more money.

she's decided to take the new job. for now....

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 12:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Tee:

Um, yeah, so tell her fish-n-chips & drinks in two weeks to celebrate? Right on time for oh, I dunno, Ted Leo?   ;)  
ted leo it is, we'll definitely be down for that one.

Sir HC

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2005, 02:05:00 pm »
New job.  For all the reasons stated.  It is golden handcuffs to get that raise.  If she complains, they will constantly use that against her, and nothing that were the root causes for leaving (since the other place was about equal pay that is not the reason) are not addressed.

eltee

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2005, 04:38:00 pm »

Originally posted by El Tee:

Um, yeah, so tell her fish-n-chips & drinks in two weeks to celebrate? Right on time for oh, I dunno, Ted Leo?    ;)  
ted leo it is, we'll definitely be down for that one. [/b]
She's buying right?  ;)

smakawhat

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2005, 04:44:00 pm »
Counteroffers RARELY ever work, and usually employees end up leaving after 4-6 months anyway after taking it and staying.

It's not worth it, leave.  The only way I would take a counter-offer (and I have been offered them in the past) is if I wasn't really interested in leaving but just threw a resume out there and discovered someone wanted to hire me for more money.

Sir HC

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2005, 09:30:00 am »
I put forth the classic question:

If they now concider you worth that much more, why didn't they concider you worth it before?  Pretty much they wanted you on the cheap as long as possible.  Not a good employer.

smakawhat

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2005, 09:50:00 am »
Sir H there makes the best point though, have ta agree on that.

plus it's... consider   :p