Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 5183 times)

sonickteam2

What would you do?
« on: June 06, 2005, 10:03:00 am »
If you really really hated your job, almost everything about it, and finally you get a new job, for a small pay increase.  and when you told your old job the news of your departure, they asked how much you would be making at the new place.  When you decided to lie and tell them $10K MORE than you were actually hired at the new place for so they wouldnt try to match, they matched that number for you to stay....what would you do?

ggw

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 10:11:00 am »
Who knew Taco Bell was paying its assistant managers so much money.......

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 10:11:00 am »
any chance they can fix what you hate about the current job?
T.Rex

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 10:19:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
   When you decided to lie and tell them $10K MORE than you were actually hired at the new place for so they wouldnt try to match, they matched that number for you to stay....what would you do?
In my experience, $10K covers a multitude of sins [unless we're talking $10K Canadian, in which case it covers the cost of dinner for two].

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 10:21:00 am »
Run away from the hated old job because:

1.  you misrepresented the pay increase, so you would be going forward at the old job based on a lie;
 2.  if they really had $10k more to spend on you, they should have given you at least part of that prior to your telling them you are leaving.
 3.  you really hate the old job, remember.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 10:23:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  any chance they can fix what you hate about the current job?
well, no, probably not.  no vacation time, no one to help do your work (so if you DO get some leave, you just have more work to do when you get back). antiquated computers and obnoxious co-workers.  

this is not my problem, btw.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 10:28:00 am »
If they're throwing an extra $10K at you, they're going to expect a lot more from you.  That'll probably result in you hating the job even more.

joz

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 10:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  If they're throwing an extra $10K at you, they're going to expect a lot more from you.  That'll probably result in you hating the job even more.
agree strongly with bombay...also, they could just use it as a ploy to keep you around while they scramble to fill your position. furthermore, knowing that you're unhappy makes for an even worse work environment. when i was job hunting, a couple of books stated explicitly that you should never accept a counteroffer from your current employer, no matter how sweet the deal.

Bartelby

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 10:34:00 am »
I agree with Challenged:  Take the new job. However, your friend should make sure he/she isn't taking what they hate about old job to the new job with 'em...i.e., they basically hate what they're doing for a living...and will be just as miserable at the new place.  More money isn't worth accepting misery!...and keep playing the lottery.  :D  Lots of money and no job isn't too bad from what I hear.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 10:42:00 am »

this is not my problem, btw. [/b]
Kinda like my friend says it hurts when he pees?

it also depends on what pay increases loom in the future for the new job
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 10:48:00 am »
cool, thanks for the input everyone.

I most agree with the counteroffer being a ploy to keep you while searching to fill the position.

This place is a tiny mom/pop co. and i doubt could ask any more of her than they already do, but its a good point that in 3 weeks, dude could say, "later bitch, cause i found your replacement!"

plus, going from a designer pos. to a manager position (at a comic book company no less!) is really cooler, even its less money. but room for advancement is defintely more possible at new position

(i wish employers were fighting over me, but alas, my visa is running out!)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 10:59:00 am »
Congrats Sonick...

Take the new job and enjoy the raise and the extra leave.

sonickteam2

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 11:18:00 am »
Originally posted by Fine French Chaz:
  Congrats Sonick...

its my girlfriend, not me. But i am sure to enjoy a happier woman at my house every evening. and thats priceless!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 11:49:00 am »

Originally posted by Fine French Chaz:
  Congrats Sonick...

its my girlfriend, not me. But i am sure to enjoy a happier woman at my house every evening. and thats priceless! [/b]
Tell me about it.

ggw

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 11:55:00 am »
 its my girlfriend, not me. But i am sure to enjoy a happier woman at my house every evening. and thats priceless!
She will be working nights?