Author Topic: REM=DEAD  (Read 16400 times)

RustyOrgan

Re: REM=DEAD
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2011, 08:03:49 am »
R.E.M. - One of The Great bands.  I figure they'll reunite 10 years from now...

evilizac

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2011, 10:26:03 am »
Who started telling good bands that their front(people) should start enunciating . . ? It's killed it for many a good band. . . Joe Strummer had it right; mumble all the way to the bank. . . and stop letting the singer in on the mixing.
WHAT?

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2011, 03:10:22 pm »
i wanted to read this thread about the band i grew up with since high school and remember how it effected me along the years . . . but then it got all brian strange and arguement, which i don't mind and it passes the time, but it leads to not making sense, like how for some reason, i really don't like bruce springsteen anymore, which is odd.  but i never stopped not liking rem.  their early work is still haunting portrait of who you are at some point in your life, their live shows were incredible spectacles with usual cool openers (until yes old age made them slow).  some albums later in time sucked but overall, they ruled.  ruled.  beavis and butthead ruled.

Funny thing about Springsteen.....over the years I've come to dislike his stuff but "Born to run" is still a tremendous album. All his other stuff is shit in my opinion, even if I once liked it, like 'The River' for example.

Do you think it could be that certain albums become more of were you were in your life when first hearing it, or are some albums just engraved permanently in your mind as great simply for their musical content? Because let's face it, "the boss is the boss' so why is Born To Run an exception to my tiring of him?

On the other side of this subject. When Dark side of the moon came out I thought it was simply annoying elevator music, but can really appreciate it for it's musical genius now.

Then there's albums that I loved many years ago, and when I hear them now appreciate them even more, which I never thought possible. Space Oddity, Hunky Dory and Man Who Sold The World to name just three.

Finally, there's bands and albums never in the forefront of my playlist, yet when they finally do get played I always say "God this album is amazing, I should play it more often" then it's months/years before the get played again. Counting Crows are that band for me. I have their stuff set aside now so when I can't decide what to listen to ..... in the player they go.

As for REM, someone gave me Green for my birthday when it first came out...it's still in the clear plastic wrapping!!! I have another one unopened...Massive Attack I think.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:13:09 pm by Frank Gallagher »

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2011, 03:17:08 pm »

Funny thing about Springsteen.....over the years I've come to dislike his stuff but "Born to run" is still a tremendous album. All his other stuff is shit in my opinion, even if I once liked it, like 'The River' for example.

How can you love Born to Run and hate Darkness on the Edge of Town? 

Oh yeah i forgot, you dismissed the Ramones as meaningless.... ;D

hutch

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2011, 03:24:05 pm »
counting crows?

come on.. are you "fishing" again?

;D

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2011, 05:17:59 pm »
Born to Run is utter tripe. Give me Darkness or Greetings any day of the week before Born to Run.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »
Born to Run is utter tripe. Give me Darkness or Greetings any day of the week before Born to Run.

Some people like tripe

wml7

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2011, 03:24:51 pm »
Coldplay makes a tribute to REM  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5lt1WkO3wU

RustyOrgan

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.