Author Topic: REM=DEAD  (Read 16405 times)

ggw

Re: REM=DEAD
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2011, 09:55:58 am »
R.E.M. @ 9:30 Club 1983-03-18 (03-12?)

Gardening at Night
9-9
Catapult
Pilgrimage
Seven Chinese Brothers
Laughing
Wolves, Lower
Romance
Sitting Still
West of the Fields
Radio Free Europe
Last Date
Ages of You
We Walk
Carnival of Sorts

http://www.mediafire.com/?1zih8n4hus1jxqz

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 10:01:35 am »
no "losing my religion" = FAIL.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2011, 10:07:52 am »

REM did absolutely nothing for me whatsofuckingever. And Michael Stipe is just a pretentios narsassistic douchebag who has a face you'd never get tired of kicking.

:)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 12:21:56 pm »
so basically the argument is that The Beatles are horrible, because they have hardcore fans.  Newsflash that argument could made about any band with a hardcore fan base. i.e. Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Wilco, Pink Floyd, Phish, GBV, etc, etc, etc.

No. Fans of PJ, Radiohead, Wilco, PF, Phish, GBV listen to other shit than just those bands...including the Beatles. Hardcore Beatles fans DON'T LISTEN TO ANYTHING ELSE, well other than maybe top 40 radio, because they are simpletons.

James Ford

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2011, 12:40:21 pm »
How are you so familiar with hardcore Beatles fans?

so basically the argument is that The Beatles are horrible, because they have hardcore fans.  Newsflash that argument could made about any band with a hardcore fan base. i.e. Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Wilco, Pink Floyd, Phish, GBV, etc, etc, etc.

No. Fans of PJ, Radiohead, Wilco, PF, Phish, GBV listen to other shit than just those bands...including the Beatles. Hardcore Beatles fans DON'T LISTEN TO ANYTHING ELSE, well other than maybe top 40 radio, because they are simpletons.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2011, 12:56:49 pm »

+1

There's a DJ in the Philadelphia area, Andre Gardner.   He hosts a show called "Breakfast with the Beatles."  Anyhow, whenever he mentions The Beatles, he calls them "The Greatest Band of All-Time, The Beatles."  I mean, EVERY TIME.

If they really WERE the greatest band of all-time (which is a silly title, anyhow.  If you can definitively and irrefutably determine what THE BEST of anything is, well, then you're a loser.) then why do we have to be hit over
the head with it?  Why do people who love the Beatles have to constantly remind you of all their "stats" and their influence?  If they truly were great then someone should come to that conclusion naturally.  Not have Rolling Stone magazine and old, clueless baby boomer constantly needling us.

R.E.M.  In my opinion, very good band.  Produced some very good music.  They weren't the most, bestest, most influential, etc. anything.  No one is.  I'm not Bill Simmons/Nick Hornsby and their ilk constantly ranking and comparing things.  I had a great time enjoying what they produced.

Brian

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2011, 03:44:13 pm »

+1

There's a DJ in the Philadelphia area, Andre Gardner.   He hosts a show called "Breakfast with the Beatles."  Anyhow, whenever he mentions The Beatles, he calls them "The Greatest Band of All-Time, The Beatles."  I mean, EVERY TIME.

If they really WERE the greatest band of all-time (which is a silly title, anyhow.  If you can definitively and irrefutably determine what THE BEST of anything is, well, then you're a loser.) then why do we have to be hit over
the head with it?  Why do people who love the Beatles have to constantly remind you of all their "stats" and their influence?  If they truly were great then someone should come to that conclusion naturally.  Not have Rolling Stone magazine and old, clueless baby boomer constantly needling us.

R.E.M.  In my opinion, very good band.  Produced some very good music.  They weren't the most, bestest, most influential, etc. anything.  No one is.  I'm not Bill Simmons/Nick Hornsby and their ilk constantly ranking and comparing things.  I had a great time enjoying what they produced.

Brian

...and your anti-Beatles ranting is just as annoying. We get it, you don't like them...MOVE ON ALREADY

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2011, 03:49:36 pm »
i wanted to read this thread about the band i grew up with since high school and remember how it effected me along the years . . . but then it got all brian strange and arguement, which i don't mind and it passes the time, but it leads to not making sense, like how for some reason, i really don't like bruce springsteen anymore, which is odd.  but i never stopped not liking rem.  their early work is still haunting portrait of who you are at some point in your life, their live shows were incredible spectacles with usual cool openers (until yes old age made them slow).  some albums later in time sucked but overall, they ruled.  ruled.  beavis and butthead ruled.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 03:52:47 pm »
1985 show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVVtNnHeEg&feature=related

Setlist:

Feeling Gravitys Pull
Harborcoat
Sitting Still
Maps And Legends
Fall On Me (original lyrics)
Green Grow The Rushes
Driver 8
Hyena
So. Central Rain
Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
Can't Get There From Here
King Of The Road
Seven Chinese Brothers
Auctioneer (Another Engine)
Old Man Kensey
Little America
Pretty Persuasion

encore 1:

Theme From Two Steps Onward
Toys In The Attic
See No Evil
Second Guessing

encore 2:

Ghost Riders In The Sky
(Don't Go Back to) Rockville
We Walk-Falling In Love Again-Behind Closed Doors
Paint It, Black

slappy

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2011, 07:24:27 pm »
We get it, you don't like them...MOVE ON ALREADY

Woah ... I just realized there isn't one post by him that this reply doesn't fit perfectly.

wml7

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2011, 07:37:27 pm »
This is my favorite song by them  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZUmrpzmYCg

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:41 pm »
R.E.M. @ 9:30 Club 1983-03-18 (03-12?)

I must've listened to this show 100x over the years.   Nice one.

lagas

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2011, 08:22:56 pm »
I saw them only once, at their last show at Merriweather, it was a greatperformance...unlike some others here, i do like Monster, a lot, and hearing Let Me In live was heaven...

I was thinking last Monday that it would be great to see them live again, and then found out...good times though...
zorra

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2011, 07:41:50 am »
I used to love REM... but when it became possible to understand what Michael Stipe was saying, it just wasn't the same anymore.   Haven't really paid them any heed since the 90s. 
_\|/_