Author Topic: black cat, black cat, any spare . . . ahh, i've been sh  (Read 4613 times)

Frank Gallagher

Re: black cat, black cat, any spare . . . ahh, i've been sh
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:

Originally posted by walkonby:
   dc road memorization is hard.
Um, DC roads start with the alphabet and then go up, in alphabetical order.   And then they go into words, and those go in alphabetical order.  So Euclid is after Clifton, but before Fairmont.  And just from the name, you can tell that it's quite a long way from the Black Cat, and from the numbered street (those also go in order), you can also tell that it's three blocks to the west (which is where I assume you got "just three blocks away.")   The whole city works this way.  That's not hard.

And dayam, most of those comments on the NBC4 site are stupid... I don't think most of the people who spend their day commenting on news sites are dealing with a full deck. [/b]
Don't forget the streets go from A-Y missing X and J I think, but don't quote me on that. Then they go alphabetically using two syllable words then start again from A using three syllable words.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by 47 YEAR OLD VIRGIN:

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:

dc road memorization is hard.
Um, DC roads start with the alphabet and then go up, in alphabetical order.   And then they go into words, and those go in alphabetical order.  So Euclid is after Clifton, but before Fairmont.  And just from the name, you can tell that it's quite a long way from the Black Cat, and from the numbered street (those also go in order), you can also tell that it's three blocks to the west (which is where I assume you got "just three blocks away.")   The whole city works this way.  That's not hard.

And dayam, most of those comments on the NBC4 site are stupid... I don't think most of the people who spend their day commenting on news sites are dealing with a full deck. [/b]
Don't forget, motherfucker, the streets go from A-Y missing X and J I think, but don't quote me on that or I'll find out where you live and kick your ass. Then they go alphabetically using two syllable words then start again from A using three syllable words.  That's called the fuckin' third and second alphabet.[/b]
good point, if a bit strident
_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 01:06:00 am »
i have no idea what was going through those thugs' heads (or veins), but who the hell shoots someone for a cell phone?  only explanation i've been able to come up with is to make sure they didn't call for help.  is there really a market for cells that have been reported stolen?
<sig>

Christine Moritz

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 10:09:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  i have no idea what was going through those thugs' heads (or veins), but who the hell shoots someone for a cell phone?  only explanation i've been able to come up with is to make sure they didn't call for help.  is there really a market for cells that have been reported stolen?
I think a (now-former) co-worker of mine said something once about having gotten her cell phone off eBay for some ridiculously low price that made her think it had been fenced.

Apparently she had no ethical qualms on this count.

:(

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 10:45:00 am »
huh.  i once bought a "lightly used" cell phone on ebay for something like a third of the price that it cost through sprint.  when i brought it in to be activated, i was informed that this handset was reported stolen (they have to look up the serial#), and therefore they wouldn't activate it.  i was lucky in that the seller refunded me my money, swearing he didn't know.  caveat emptor. then again, sprint phones don't use simm cards so maybe this doesn't apply to simm-using carriers.
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
wow. you guys still talking about this.  let's all go down to black cat tonight with our cell phones in the air, wave them like we just don't care, yelling black cat is not the victim here, into the air.

• my blog
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »
Not to blame the victim, but if someone is pointing a gun at you and wants your phone, just give it to them.   And don't be taking shortcuts through the back streets of Adams-Morgan at 2am unless you know what you're doing.  17th and Euclid has been sketch for as long as I can remember.

The story as I understand it is that the Blogger reacted to the kid with the gun, by saying you've got to be kidding me.  The kid probably hadn't been expecting any resistance and freaked out.   People wielding weapons usually aren't the smartest people out there, don't try to argue with them.  A wounded ego is better than a body full of lead.  If it makes you feel better, someone leading that kind of lifestyle is going to either be dead or in jail within the next year or two, guaranteed.
_\|/_

walkonby

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »
but what about the story involving a kid who went to high school close to where i live, and he was walking in richmond with his girlfriend near vcu.  a mugger. young. the transaction.  no problems, no resistance.  walking away, walkingonby.  then shot by the robber for what i guess was the fun of it.  so you cannot understand what any of them ("them" being punks who rob and shoot people; don't put colour based assumptions in my words) are thinking at any given time.  like in the running man.  we are all now arnold in a giant game of richard dawson's control.

• my blog
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »
 then shot by the robber for what i guess was the fun of it.  
Well, that can happen too.  But in a situation like this, it's all about improving your odds, and the odds are better, if you give the mugger what he wants, you will be OK.  

Most people in the crime world try to avoid bringing too much police attention down on their heads... cops are too busy to follow up on a simple robbery, but when someone gets shot, then it goes way up the priority list.

If it's your bad luck to  get some psycho who shoots people for fun, then there's not so much you can do.
_\|/_