Author Topic: Idlewild roll call  (Read 4902 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Idlewild roll call
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2005, 11:24:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Agree with everything that Kurosawa said. Fun night all around with good music and a good crowd. It was obvious that everyone, from band to crowd, was having a good time.
i wanted to find you and annoy you on sat, but the crowd was so huge i couldnt find you!!

Jaguär

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2005, 11:38:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:

Agree with everything that Kurosawa said. Fun night all around with good music and a good crowd. It was obvious that everyone, from band to crowd, was having a good time.
i wanted to find you and annoy you on sat, but the crowd was so huge i couldnt find you!! [/b]
I may be a Jaguar but I am sly like a fox!   :p

redsock

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2005, 11:46:00 am »

i wanted to find you and annoy you on sat, but the crowd was so huge i couldnt find you!! [/b]
You were actually standing right behind her the whole time.

sonickteam2

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2005, 11:47:00 am »
lol. haha.     why didnt you tell me?

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2005, 01:17:00 pm »
saw them last night. was a great set with a good mix of everything. their new songs sound even better live. Roddy did seem a bit tired on stage, rubbing his eyes, etc. but i had heard it was going to be a rough few days. so its to be expected. besides listening to inara george beforehand nearly put me to sleep.

ive seen mazzy starr before and she's definitely no mazzy starr. i was rather hoping they were some band from the hillsides of scotland. too bad they were just from LA. at least they could have been from SF  :)  

it was nice to meet you relaxer  :)
HeyLa

sonickteam2

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2005, 01:24:00 pm »
did they play "I wanna be sedated" last night?

ggw

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2005, 01:25:00 pm »
  did they play "I wanna be sedated" last night?
No, but they did play Neil Young's 'Looking for A Love'

redsock

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2005, 02:25:00 pm »
the cool thing is that they obviously mix up the set list pretty much everynight. You don't find too many bands that do that nowadays.

ggw

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2005, 02:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  the cool thing is that they obviously mix up the set list pretty much everynight. You don't find too many bands that do that nowadays.
Jam bands do it all the time.

:D

ggw

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2005, 09:25:00 am »
Idlewild, Resting on Its Aurals

Tuesday, September 13, 2005; Page C04

Although Idlewild has become a mainstream act in Britain, here its career seems to have stalled. On Sunday night, the Scottish quintet drew a smaller crowd to the Black Cat than it did to the 9:30 club two years ago.

That might reflect some disappointment with the band's move from punk to punky folk-rock, but probably not. Its new album, "Warnings/Promises," continues a very gradual evolution and is hardly a dramatic break with its predecessor, "The Remote Part." Perhaps the problem is that, 10 years after it formed, Idlewild still doesn't know how to pace a live set.

Taken as a series of songs -- whether older ones such as "Little Discourage" or brand-new numbers such as "El Capitan" -- Idlewild's performance was irreproachable. The band was tight without being mechanical, singer Roddy Woomble could shout or lilt with equal authority and such textural digressions as acoustic guitar or electric piano didn't disrupt the central style. Yet the overall show was considerably less forceful than the individual selections. Even though the musicians didn't seem to be pushing themselves to the limit, they stopped to collect themselves after every tune, squandering the concert's momentum.

What worked in the group's favor was the quality of its songwriting. Whether stormy ("A Modern Way of Letting Go'') or serene ("Live in a Hiding Place''), Idlewild's material is well constructed and reliably melodic. But it's easy to see why fans who've seen the quintet a few times might decide to stick with the recorded versions.

-- Mark Jenkins

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by redsock:
Jam bands do it all the time.

:D  [/b]
Pearl Jam
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2005, 09:54:00 am »
and wouldnt they be happy if the world thought them on the same level as Pearl Jam?!?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2005, 11:37:00 am »
  and wouldnt they be happy if the world thought them on the same level as Pearl Jam?!?
well they did warm up for pearl jam for some us dates....
T.Rex