Author Topic: Free Rhett Miller show Sunday  (Read 6150 times)

Dandy01

Re: Free Rhett Miller show Sunday
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2003, 04:34:00 pm »
thank god I decided to skip it due to time constraints, oh well.

Mongo

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2003, 04:59:00 pm »
Amen, I was going to go but I ended up helping a friend move.  I'm really glad I didn't go now after the reports.  I'll go to see him at Black Cat in a month though.

Celeste

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2003, 05:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Andrew WK:
  Come on, it was a Rock and Roll show. I bet the little fucker was asking for it.
he groped me once, too

twangirl

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2003, 05:18:00 pm »
Nickel Creek is not a bluegrass act. That's why I really don't care for their music, it's really more folk/collegey pop with bluegrass influences. I DJ when they play here, and they won't let me play bluegrass or even honky tonk because they don't want to get typecast as a bluegrass band, which is smart because they're not. They're more into the Gillian Welch, Townes Van Zandt, Lucinda thing. The guy can play the hell out of a mandolin, the acoustic guitarist also is great, and they don't have drums, but it's not bluegrass. That's why their crowd is so different from the old-school bluegrass shows. I bet a lot of Nickel Creek's fans don't even know who Del McCoury is.

ggw

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2003, 05:26:00 pm »
Have any of you Bluegrass types been to the Folklife Festival's Appalachian events?

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2003, 05:27:00 pm »
And they (the audience) DO know who Townes is? Or for that matter even Gillian or Lucinda? I guess you were referring to who the band was into, not their audience. I guess I'll have stop judging the band for what their audience looks like and actually try to listen to some of their music.

Then again, I would guess most current Rhett Miller audiences are probably not into Marty Robbins or Bill Monroe, though the Old 97's have covered them in the past...

Originally posted by twangirl:
  Nickel Creek is not a bluegrass act. That's why I really don't care for their music, it's really more folk/collegey pop with bluegrass influences. I DJ when they play here, and they won't let me play bluegrass or even honky tonk because they don't want to get typecast as a bluegrass band, which is smart because they're not. They're more into the Gillian Welch, Townes Van Zandt, Lucinda thing. The guy can play the hell out of a mandolin, the acoustic guitarist also is great, and they don't have drums, but it's not bluegrass. That's why their crowd is so different from the old-school bluegrass shows. I bet a lot of Nickel Creek's fans don't even know who Del McCoury is.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2003, 05:29:00 pm »
I have jogged my and stopped a couple of times on my lunch hour, albeit briefly.

Earl Scruggs is supposed to play on the mall July 4, and Ralph Stanley on July 5, but unfortunately I'll be out of town.

Originally posted by ggw:
  Have any of you Bluegrass types been to the Folklife Festival's Appalachian events?

Jaguär

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2003, 06:01:00 pm »
Wouldn't mind seeing Earl Scruggs but won't be able to make it.

twangirl

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2003, 06:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] And they (the audience) DO know who Townes is? Or for that matter even Gillian or Lucinda? I guess you were referring to who the band was into, not their audience.

I was referring to what the band wants to align themselves with instead of bluegrass. Their crowd seemed pretty happy with what I was playing, which was a mix of alt-country, South Austin honky tonk, and a bit of bluegrass, but the band didn't dig it. I don't think their audience is particularly knowledgeable about any of it.

onefellswoop

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2003, 10:17:00 pm »
yeah, i really think you should give nickel creek a listen. not listening to a band because of distaste for their most common audience is pretty ignorant.

poorlulu

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2003, 11:27:00 pm »
I dunno, standing outside the que for the placebo show I could pretty much guess I wouldnt enjoy it. Same thing when I see the crowd at an Nsync show or Britney Spears.......

From the audiences demographic I dony think it is hard to imagine that a show may be more or less likely to appeal to you, do you?

I guess a free show is not the best example as it is impossible to know who is going because of curiosity and whim?

onefellswoop

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2003, 02:10:00 am »
that's true the show may be less appealing. but it doesn't have an effect on the actual music.