Author Topic: Free Rhett Miller show Sunday  (Read 6151 times)

Free Rhett Miller show Sunday
« on: June 27, 2003, 09:50:00 am »
On Sunday at 6, Nickel Creek and Rhett Miller perform on the Millennium Stage at the Kennedy Center (Metro: Foggy Bottom/GWU, with free shuttles). The daily Millennium Stage shows are always free and no tickets are required. For Kennedy Center information, call 202-467-4600

markie

Re: Free Rhett Miller show Sunday
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 10:43:00 am »
We will be there....

Mongo

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 11:48:00 am »
Is their parking around there or is it just best to metro it?  Hell, I wonder if there's a bike rack there.

Dandy01

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 07:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  http://www.kennedy-center.org/visitor/directions.html
thanks, i'm gonna try to make it.

rock n roll night at St. Ex later..

allmy$to930

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 09:33:00 am »
How was the show?...I got to the Kennedy Center, paid for parking, saw the crowd (and even the top of the stage) and turned around, got my parking fee refunded and left.

I have been to three other shows at the Millenium Stage and there were about fifty people at each.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 10:36:00 am »
Yes, we were amazed at the number of people who came out for the show. We got there 45 minutes early, and joined the long queue to get in. One can either assume: 1. Nickel Creek is very popular and/or 2. there are lots of lurkers on the board who read this thread. The Grand Foyer was completely filled from front to back, and much of the main hallway was filled as well. We watched the show on a small screen in the middle fo the Foyer. Many others had to watch it on a large screen in the back.

I actually have never heard Nickel Creek before, but their fans seem to be very young and clean cut, sort of like they are all coming from Sunday school class somewhere out in Virginia.

Rhett played for about 40 minutes. The speaker we listened to him on was not turned up loud enough, and the guitar was barely audible. He played a couple of Old 97's favorites (Doreen, Salome, Question...hmmm, pandering to all the young women?), made the teen girls laugh with his paen to his wife "Erika the Beautiful" , did a bunch of tunes off of his growing old solo album, and did a version of Bowie's "ziggy played guitar"...sorry if that's not actually the title...that proved that that song should never be done acoustically, and that his voice was ill suited for.

We left right as Rhett went off. I'm sure Nickel Creek's fans ate them (Nickel Creek)right up.  Not sure if they cared much for Rhett. I had to shhhhsh a few teens around us.  The seven year old boy who was seated next to us commented on Rhett, "This guy stinks." and I said, "Fuck you bucko, Rhett doesn't need you anyway, he's got some of the stars of the 9:30 chatboard right here to cheer him on."

Originally posted by allmy$to930:
  How was the show?...I got to the Kennedy Center, paid for parking, saw the crowd (and even the top of the stage) and turned around, got my parking fee refunded and left.

I have been to three other shows at the Millenium Stage and there were about fifty people at each.

poorlulu

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 10:36:00 am »
Originally posted by allmy$to930:

i was completely amazed there were so many people there.......we left after rhett miller and there were tons of people in the lobby who were not allowed to come into the main area..............

i think if there had been fewer people there it would have been good but the sound at the back wasn't very good...........you probably made the right choice in leaving......

markie

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 10:39:00 am »
Well Rhett Miller was good, but the situation was awful, getting there at 5.15 and finding that you are so far away that you have to watch the show on a monitor royally sucked.

I would much rather pay $15 or $20 to see him in a club.

What made it worse was all the people talking, playing games on mobile phones or proclaiming, "Who is his guy? He really sucks"

We left right after Rhett, the room was full and there were another 200 people in the foyer trying to get into the concert space.

markie

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 10:42:00 am »
Wow we all posted the same thing at the same time.....

ggw

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2003, 10:44:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
    We left right as Rhett went off. I'm sure Nickel Creek's fans ate them (Nickel Creek)right up.  Not sure if they cared much for Rhett. I had to shhhhsh a few teens around us.  The seven year old boy who was seated next to us commented on Rhett, "This guy stinks." and I said, "Fuck you bucko, Rhett doesn't need you anyway, he's got some of the stars of the 9:30 chatboard right here to cheer him on."

You said "fuck you" to a seven-year-old?

That's almost as choice as punching a mime....

I think Nickel Creek has won a couple of Grammys, so I'd guess they're pretty popular.

markie

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 10:47:00 am »
Come on, it was a Rock and Roll show. I bet the little fucker was asking for it.

ewriter3

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2003, 04:11:00 pm »
I think Rhett is supposed to play the Black Cat on August 2 -- for those who were unable to enjoy the millennium stage show

twangirl

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2003, 04:21:00 pm »
Nickel Creek is not really my thing, but have seen them a couple of times here, and all 3 are  virtuoso players, and can really sing too. It's refreshing to see a band that actually has talent become successful.  I knew it would be a mob scene on Sunday, it's just too bad the Nickel Creek fans weren't open to Rhett's set.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2003, 04:33:00 pm »
But what about Nickel Creek sets them apart from any other fine set of bluegrass players? Are they really in the same ballpark as the Del McCoury Band or Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder? I didn't think bluegrass had such an under-25 audience. I didn't see those kids at the Ricky Skaggs show I went to, and it was even held on the Universtiy of Maryland campus.

I would venture to say that they are so popular due to their pretty faces and some savvy marketing rather than their musical talent.

I can't really give an opinion on their music because I haven't heard it, but my wife told me she thought they sounded "clean and polished" (not good things) compared to other bluegrass artists.

Originally posted by twangirl:
  Nickel Creek is not really my thing, but have seen them a couple of times here, and all 3 are  virtuoso players, and can really sing too. It's refreshing to see a band that actually has talent become successful.  I knew it would be a mob scene on Sunday, it's just too bad the Nickel Creek fans weren't open to Rhett's set.