Author Topic: metallica . . . meet rick rubin  (Read 3614 times)

jsnow2

Re: metallica . . . meet rick rubin
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »
From wikipedia - Bob Rock produced Metallica's multiplatinum self-titled album (known as The Black Album) in 1991 and subsequent followups Load (1996), ReLoad (1997), Garage Inc. (1998) and S&M (1999). Metallica once again tapped Rock to produce their 2003 album St. Anger. Because the band had no bassist due to the departure of Jason Newsted, Rock played bass guitar on the album. Fans criticized the production, resulting in thousands signing an online petition. In February, 2006, Metallica chose producer Rick Rubin to produce their next album, ending the group's long-time relationship with Rock.

jsnow2

TheDirector217

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »
Rick Rubin's a bad man. Period.  Any so called music fan can't dispute that.  Really anyone, period.  That man was part of the blueprint of hip-hop and has put out too many classics to name.  His catalog is DISGUSTING.

helicon1

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »
But what is it about his production skills that sets him apart from the others? So far all I've learned is he has a really long beard and is a badass.

renton007

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 09:02:00 am »
According to Rolling Stone, he had them pay in a different key (E instead of E flat I believe) and had them rehearse and know their songs really well before entering the studio. I've never been sure what exactly a producer does either.  

Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:
  But what is it about his production skills that sets him apart from the others? So far all I've learned is he has a really long beard and is a badass.

thirsty moore

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 10:57:00 am »
My understanding is that producers help guide the songs.  Recording engineers flat out record the songs.  That's what Steve Albini refers to himself as.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 09:39:00 am »
Originally posted by TheDirector217:
  Rick Rubin's a bad man. Period.  Any so called music fan can't dispute that.  Really anyone, period.  That man was part of the blueprint of hip-hop and has put out too many classics to name.  His catalog is DISGUSTING.
Let's edit that.  "Rick Rubin's a bad producer.  Period...The man hasn't put out any classic albums.  His catalog is DISGUSTING."  I'll agree with that.

He's not even a producer in terms of technical producing.  He doesn't touch the board.  He has an engineer do that.  Supposedly, he's paid for using his "ears."

My God, if you really feel Cult, Red Hot Chili Peppers, System of a Down, Johnny Cash, Beastie Boys and Slayer albums are the greatest examples of creativity and originality in the modern age than I feel bad for you and your high blood pressure medication.

Your fratboy roots are showing TheDirector217.

Being "part of the blueprint of hip-hop" is something to be proud of?

Brian Wallace