Author Topic: GE foods vs. Greenpeace P&T style  (Read 1335 times)

Samantha

Re: GE foods vs. Greenpeace P&T style
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 11:03:00 am »
I guess nobody has a high speed connection.  I thought you'd all enjoy this.

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 11:04:00 am »
Originally posted by Samantha:
  I guess nobody has a high speed connection.  I thought you'd all enjoy this.
I watched it yesterday, not much to say about it, I have heard it all before.

Bags

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 01:13:00 pm »
Actually, a friend of mine does emergency food relief across the world for the U.S., and as a purely practical matter, genetically-altered crops (which refers to many crops grown in the U.S.) often can't be exported to other countries as growable crops.  While you could have one great crop yield, it will ruin the soil for any subsequent crops for up to four or five years.  Our crops actually contaminate the farms of other countries.  This is a "give them the fish, but don't teach them to fish" issue for food shortages around the world.  Also why we have thousands of tons of grain we just trash because we can't send it out of the country.

Yeah, Greenpeace has its nutjobs who are anti-any technology and are just plain weird, and P&T found many of them for this piece.  But there are real concerns over these farming issues.  How does some co-op with a housefull of folks who only eat raw food have any impact on this issue globally?  P&T are looking at folks here in the U.S., where there are choices of organically or not grown foods, but those aren't the options at the heart of global food issues.

Samantha

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 01:54:00 pm »
this is the kind of discussion I was hoping to start  :)

Celeste

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 02:01:00 pm »
I was not familiar with P&T's style...I don't like it...too abrasive!

I like the concept of small, family farms, organic farming, etc. However, I don't think a precautionary principle should hold back science and technology.

Cauliflower is a GMO, after all...and hippies stink!