Author Topic: High Dials/Hopewells at Velvet Lounge  (Read 2955 times)

kurosawa-b/w

Re: High Dials/Hopewells at Velvet Lounge
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 04:03:00 pm »
It was a packed house and a fun show. The bands had a great time, and I think the crowd was really receptive. I love Hopewell, so I'm a bit biased. I do have to say, though, that I think they are better served by a larger venue where their big sound can expland. But it was still a great set. I really enjoyed The High Dials as well. I think their last Velvet show was stronger -just because they were playing requests and feeding off the Friday night crowd. But last night was still fun.
 It was another late night at the Velvet...The bands didn't start until 10:30! There's really no need for the late start time. The place was crowded at 9:30.

falconetti

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 04:05:00 pm »
I thought the show was very good.  Well attended but not uncomfortably full.  I was really impressed by the Velvet Lounge - the sound was great - both bands had well balanced and full mixes and the place was cool despite the crowd.  
 Hopewell was much better now than when I saw them 3-4 years ago.  Energetic, dynamic and very pro - with just the right about crowd interaction, they seemed less obviously Mercury Rev influenced now - at times they even had a Supertramp vibe - not a bad thing at all (flame away).  Nothing really stood out or blew me away but their new songs were strong enough to make us pick up the new album (even though I hadn't cared for their earlier albums much at all). I guess they won me over.
 The new High Dials record is one of my favorites of this year and they didn't disappoint live - except for a rather pointless "let's bring out the sitar" jam.  Really great lead guitar playing, moving bass work and tight harmonies.  The drummer, despite looking like a hippie - was great - his enthusiasm was amazing.  Like Hopewell, they primarily played material off their new album.
 Again, I really recommend the new High Dials - if you like indie pop. Even if you didn't like their first record or aren't into Rainbow Quartz at all - check it out.  They have carved out a unique sound by fusing C-86 and Bunnymen/Church sounds into their Beatlesque jangle pop.
 Cheers.

xcanuck

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 04:06:00 pm »
It was my first time seeing Hopewell and I liked them (except for the annoying habit of ending songs in mindless keyboard noodling). We bought their CD and I'll have to give it a few more listenings before I come to a final conclusion on them.

The High Dials came on pretty late (damn you Velvet Lounge!) and they did alot of stuff from the new CD. The new stuff isn't quite as psychadelic-Beatlesish as the last CD. IMHO it's "poppier". Still very good stuff. They've added a keyboard player but I'm not sure he's adding much to the mix at this point.

The crowd thinned out ALOT towards the end of the set though I think that was due to the late hour more than anything.

Good to see megs, xneverwherex, and kurosawa at the show, too. Made the waiting around alot more fun  :)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 04:10:00 pm »
im so glad i made it. seeing hopewell live was def worth 10$. seeing them live was so much better than listening to their CD. their sound explodes, and it seems they def. need to be playing larger venues.

hadnt heard/seen the high dials before last night. really enjoyed them a lot.

was nice to meet you xcanuck. (im the redhead, not kurosawa's other friend  :)  )

oh yeah, and if anyone can tell me about calling someone a 'snow bunny' that'd be great to know. dont think ive ever been called a snow bunny so much in one night (this was around DC9 area that i was called this). probably some new slang for a white chick   :D
HeyLa

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 04:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  It was my first time seeing Hopewell and I liked them (except for the annoying habit of ending songs in mindless keyboard noodling). We bought their CD and I'll have to give it a few more listenings before I come to a final conclusion on them.  
I have to agreed with you about the keyboard noodling. The others seemed to be humoring him. FYI, I think they are much better live than recorded. But see what you think. Trumpet for a Lung is definitely my favorite.

And it was great to see you, too! Have fun at the fest this weekend.