Author Topic: Last.fm  (Read 4744 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Last.fm
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2005, 01:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  OKAY; so we need 15 members to start our charts.  aka, more people join!

i'm also trying to figure out how to enable people to write journals and stuff like that...it doesn't seem to be working yet (maybe it won't as well if we don't have at least 15 people)
Betty, after some use, you will find that Last.FM still has a very long way to go to catch up with the latest technologies. It's a nice site but has it's bugs. Lots of them. It's not uncommon to make some sort of change and it seems to not take but may eventually show up hours or even days later. Or maybe not at all. With that said, it's better than it use to be but still has a long way to go.

I would try to avoid using their message system if you can. One of the most archaic systems still around. In fact, I don't think that it even sent my last message to one of my friends. Also watch out with the recommendations function. Some guy sent me one for his band that I never saw until months and months later! At least he knew what he was using and also sent me one via MySpace so I eventually got one in the end.

I've never tried their chat functions so can't speak on that. One of the biggest problems with a chat room is that you need people who can all be committed to use it at the same time. Not very conducive for using in a work environment and most of the loons here are professional surfers. That's one of the reasons that the 9:30 forum is so good. You can use it at your own pace.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2005, 03:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:

Originally posted by you be betty:
  OKAY; so we need 15 members to start our charts.  aka, more people join!

i'm also trying to figure out how to enable people to write journals and stuff like that...it doesn't seem to be working yet (maybe it won't as well if we don't have at least 15 people)
Betty, after some use, you will find that Last.FM still has a very long way to go to catch up with the latest technologies. It's a nice site but has it's bugs. Lots of them. It's not uncommon to make some sort of change and it seems to not take but may eventually show up hours or even days later. Or maybe not at all. With that said, it's better than it use to be but still has a long way to go.

I would try to avoid using their message system if you can. One of the most archaic systems still around. In fact, I don't think that it even sent my last message to one of my friends. Also watch out with the recommendations function. Some guy sent me one for his band that I never saw until months and months later! At least he knew what he was using and also sent me one via MySpace so I eventually got one in the end.

I've never tried their chat functions so can't speak on that. One of the biggest problems with a chat room is that you need people who can all be committed to use it at the same time. Not very conducive for using in a work environment and most of the loons here are professional surfers. That's one of the reasons that the 9:30 forum is so good. You can use it at your own pace. [/b]
oh right i completely agree...these boards are irreplacable, and everything else i do on myspace and facebook.  but somebody wrote a concert review journal entry, and i'm still not quite sure how to let them have it posted.  so that's that.

distance

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2005, 04:15:00 pm »
you have 15 now.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2005, 04:42:00 pm »
Betty, I have a suggestion. You ought to create a thread used solely to correspond Last.FM user names with 9:30 user names so that we know who each other are. Mine and a few others are rather obvious but there are several who are not at all.

Also, if this is even possible, you should make it a sticky for easier reference.

I've never really played around much in the groups there and haven't created any myself so don't know what all is at your hands. You might even see if there is some way that you can create a box that allows you to list this to streamline it and make it easier to read. Threads in blogs and forums can get a bit weary to read at times with many people using different methods of listing such info.

There might be something like that you can use over at the Audioscrobbler/WiKi page but that can get a bit geeky and more than you want to handle.

You probably could do so in your edit account section in the About portion...or whatever it's called. You'll just have to depend on others to provide you with their info so that you can list any new members.