Author Topic: please name me the top 5 bands i haven't listened to  (Read 7988 times)

jogold

Re: please name me the top 5 bands i haven't listened to
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
the management - two frat boys with a keyboard and guitar
 do make say think - a more even "explosions in the sky"
 set fire to flames - take godspeed and remove the violent climaxes
 the national - very talented
 hayden - the most neglected artist I have ever listened to.  Simply amazing

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
Oh, man. Where do I start?!

Head of Femur
 Hockey Night
 Battle (Go here to listen to their brilliant song Tendency.)
 Archie Bronson Outfit
 The Duke Spirit (Listen to Hello to the Floor.)
 Duels
 Narco
 Black Wire

I think all of those bands will have general appeal. I saw Head of Femur during CMJ and was very impressed. If I had the money, I'd catch their show with Andrew Bird. (Although they'll be performing as a trio instead of the full 7-9 member band.)

jeffnar

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2005, 05:54:00 pm »
only list 3?

Swervedriver
 Swervedriver
 Swervedriver

new comp "juggernaut rides".  you should like them seeing some of the bands you like live. the ultimate in british guitar rock.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2005, 09:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by jeffnar:
  only list 3?

Swervedriver
 Swervedriver
 Swervedriver

new comp "juggernaut rides".  you should like them seeing some of the bands you like live. the ultimate in british guitar rock.
He said 5. I'll add the other 2.

Swervedriver
 Swervedriver

:D        :D        :D        :D        :D  

The Jazzmaster meets Satan in the desert for a standoff but ends up in a full out rave up.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2005, 11:14:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  1.  Burning Brides (Metal meets Punk meets Garage)
 2.  The Features (The Jam meet XTC)
 3.  The Hand Washers (Clap Your Hands meets The Germs)
hah!  The Features rule!

jdr; i'm not sure as to what you HAVE and HAVE NOT listened to before; but i'll try to throw in some lesser-known or newer stuff that has been catching my ear...

THE REDWALLS - cross between The Beatles and The Stones.  i swear to god.  they have hit it a bit more on the west coast; and i'm trying to make everyone i know listen to them.

Annie - cross between Junior Senior and Kylie Minogue

Devendra Banhart - cross between Sufjan Stevens and Bright Eyes's raw acoustic stuff??  I'm really blanking on these comparisons today...

Evens - not sure if you've hopped on this train yet, but it's Ian Mackaye from Fugazi's now-band.  Sounds not a whole lot like anything else, but good mellow and catchy, hooky indie rock songs (just guitar, vox, and drums)

Figurine - Jimmy Tamborello from The Postal Service + others.  Same idea, but even more electro-poppy.

Jonathan Rice - Ben Lee meets Dave Matthews indie darling.

THE MELIGROVE BAND - kind of Beulah meets Weezer to say the least...great, fun, amazing, talented, clever Canadian's...

Living Things - T-Rex meets Pennywise and that's a BIT far off.

Nickel Creek - if you can appreciate bluegrass...my friends have been trying to get me into them for years, and their newest album is a bit less country-ish and so i've hopped on.  they are calling it "newgrass."

Everybody Else - EXTREME EXTREME POWER POP out of LA, but they are very fun.

Pris - very undescribable...good solid rock with an electro-y edge.  these boys are out of Seattle.

Ratatat - instrumental only electry rock band.  their guitarist, Mike Stroud, used to play guitar with Ben Kweller.

ROGUE WAVE - I LOVE THIS BAND SOOOO MUCH.  they're on Sub-Pop.  they're an orgy between The Shins and The Postal Service, and they take it a bit further.  i haven't heard their new (as of about a week ago) cd yet; but "Out of the Shadow" is an incredible album that you need to have.

The Brunettes - cutesy boy-and-girl indie rock.  think The Shangri-Las and Belle and Sebastian.

The Shore - pure Oasis influence right here...

Shout Out Louds - it was said on here that they are the new Strokes.  they have the same type of edge, but without the American sounding singer.

Simple Kid - hard to describe; guitar-driven electro-y stuff...it's all got great hook, and is somewhat experimental to a certain extent as well.

Spiraling - completely undescribable; but these guys are GREAT.  poppy, rocky, solid guitar, piano, and synth...just an all around great band.

Sprites - from the area, very fun and happy Belle & Sebastian-y (think "The Model") with a bit of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

Whirlwind Heat - electro and experimental...their first album was produced by Jack White.  you'll either love them or hate them.

The 88 - i'm having trouble thinking of someone else who sounds like them...it's just good, smart, rock songs and i don't know what else to say...

The Like - three trust-fund LA scenester girls with some, surprisingly awesome arrangements and melody.  she's got a kind of nasal-y voice, though.  again, you'll love it or hate it.  they're a bit Eisley-esque...

Exit Clov - one of the best bands DC has under our belt right now; they are poppy, rocky, synth-y and upbeat with amazing harmonies from two twin girl singers.

Simon Dawes - great, great band.  i really hope they make it a bit bigger some time soon, as they are very much so under the radar right now.  sometimes they remind me of The 88, sometimes they remind me of The Walkmen, and sometimes they remind me of Springsteen.  just, do yourself a favor, and head over to www.simondawes.com.  everyone who is reading this should do so as well.

i think that's all i've got right now...

Relaxer

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2005, 12:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:

Originally posted by jeffnar:
  only list 3?

Swervedriver
 Swervedriver
 Swervedriver

He said 5. I'll add the other 2.

Swervedriver
 Swervedriver

:D          :D          :D          :D          :D  

The Jazzmaster meets Satan in the desert for a standoff but ends up in a full out rave up. [/b]
You may already know this, but on http://www.swervedriver.com/ you can download free live versions of all four of their albums. The sound quality varies, but for the most part it is very good to great. I've been pulling song after song from there this weekend.
oword

Chip Chanko

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2005, 01:08:00 pm »
So like the futureheads? Downloading now...

you be betty

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2005, 03:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  So like the futureheads? Downloading now...

[/b]
i've got one song by the futureheads.  it's good, but i've held off on their full album, because it sounds a bit tired and like their sound has been done time, time, time, and time again.  let me know how it is, though...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2005, 10:57:00 am »

I don't hear either of these bands in the Features, I hear more garage rock influeneces
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2005, 11:00:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

I don't hear either of these bands in the Features, I hear more garage rock influeneces [/b]
How about "The Coral meet ...Trail of Dead"

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2005, 11:01:00 am »
"Imagine Peaches pulling Dr. John off a riverboat, shoving a host of pills and brown liquor down his gullet and forcing him to play hoodoo-voodoo disco-clash until the sun rises over the bayou."

you be betty

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2005, 12:52:00 pm »
are YOU down wit' peaches?