Author Topic: Oscars  (Read 17500 times)

Re: Oscars
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2005, 12:59:00 pm »
If you don't like Juliette Binoche, you surely must be a woman, or a gay man.

See Unbearable Lightness of Being.

eltee

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2005, 01:08:00 pm »
Oh and Kirstie Alley drives me absolutely nuts. I stopped watching Cheers when she joined.
 And Johnny Depp is cool. I just saw Blow and he was amazing. Also very good in that Cuban film...name escapes me...I loved watching him on the Film Critic show - what chain smoker...

lionforce5

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2005, 01:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Most people, no matter what their color, have racist tendencies. At least Byrne is conscious enough to admit it.

Recent scientific research has demonstrated that biases thought to be absent or extinguished remain as "mental residue" in most of us.
 Studies show people can be consciously committed to egalitarianism, and deliberately work to behave without prejudice, yet still possess hidden negative prejudices or stereotypes.

So even though we believe we see and treat people as equals, hidden biases may still influence our perceptions and actions.

Psychologists at Harvard, the University of Virginia and the University of Washington created "Project Implicit" to develop Hidden Bias Tests â?? called Implicit Association Tests, or IATs, in the academic world â?? to measure unconscious bias.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

Take a test at Project Implicit's website and see what may be lingering in your psyche.

http://www.tolerance.org/hidden_bias/tutorials/index.html

After taking a test, read Tolerance.org's tutorial to learn more about stereotypes and prejudice and the societal effects of bias.

An interesting study, though I think mostly based on hand/eye coordination more than actual bias...though the argument could be made that a part of your psyche is influencing the decisions.

Oh...and in the interest of disclosure:

Your data suggest little or no automatic preference for White American relative to Black American
[/b]

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2005, 01:14:00 pm »
I always thought that Kirstie Alley was kind hot.   I mean before she took all of those trips to Krispy Kreme.

BookerT

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2005, 01:22:00 pm »
my fave johnny depp role was definitely in "dead man." i loved that movie, one of my all-time favorites. it seems like the "forgotten" jarmusch one, or maybe that's just me.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2005, 01:31:00 pm »
Robert Pires  gets my tip for best fall in the 18 yard box. He's so good he does it every given weekend.

Theiry Henry gets my tip as best actor in a b-movie, because he only looks good against shite teams.

Wayne Rooney gets best celebration of a goal in front of the kop-ites.

Jose Mourinho gets a lifetime achievement award for having the class to shake the hand of every Manchester United player in the tunnel before the match on Wednesday.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2005, 01:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by smakawhat:

[/b]
are you on fuckin crack!?  Depp is one of the most over-rated actors on the planet.

[/QB]
Depp is one of the most underrated actors on the planet. He can play ANYTHING, just look at the roles he's taken. Most actors play the same person every friggin movie....Hugh Grant, Tom Cruise, whatsherface, the aussie who was married to Cruise for example. Another actor who is similar to Depp is Brad Pitt, he takes on very different roles as well.

He also has the balls to take on roles other, so called, better actors would be shit scared of taking.

I think Hollywood is taken way to seriously any way....it just entertainment for crying out loud so who gives a toss who wins what? But Johnny Depp is on of the better actors.

vansmack

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2005, 01:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by O'Mankie:
  Robert Pires  gets my tip for best fall in the 18 yard box. He's so good he does it every given weekend.
It's such a standard role for him though - there's no diversity in it.  I'd had to give it to Diouf this year for his fall last week in front of Brad Friedel.  Unbelievable.
27>34

smakawhat

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2005, 02:07:00 pm »

That and Kieslowski's "Blue"

smakawhat

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2005, 03:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by O'Mankie:
It's such a standard role for him though - there's no diversity in it.  I'd had to give it to Diouf this year for his fall last week in front of Brad Friedel.  Unbelievable. [/b]
What about Bellamy's raptorous performance what an exit!!

Love that chicken neck grab!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=323155&cc=5901

Bags

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2005, 04:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by smakawhat:

That and Kieslowski's "Blue" [/b]
She ruined "Blue" for me....  I'm sure it's the reason that "White" was by far my favorite of the series.

It's visceral -- can't tell you why, it's not that she did something specifically, but I just can't stand to watch her speak, move, breathe, be.  Blech.  Don't think being a woman has to do with it...shouldn't I be okay with Ethan Hawke, then, because he's good looking (or was -- this gaunt thing he has going on now is creepy).

As for Ethan Hawke, I remember now that it was his awful, wooden acting in Before Sunrise....I thought that movie was terrible only because he was SO awful.  Yes, I liked Reality Bites, but he put me off later...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2005, 11:33:00 am »
Watching part of "Gangs of New York" today makes apparent that the Academy will honor "The Aviator" because it got snubbed by "The Pianist" and "Chicago"(bleech).  Gangs is far better movie than the Aviator if only because Daniel Day-Lewis is da man.  The scene where the Irish get off the boat and join the Union Army is pretty powerful stuff.
T.Rex

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2005, 02:27:00 pm »
Did you see Aviator?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2005, 05:27:00 pm »
Yes
T.Rex

smakawhat

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2005, 05:10:00 pm »
The Aviator is a good film, just not a GREAT film which is what I EXPECT from someone like Scorcese.  I also like it better than Gangs of New York which I think has obvious flaws.

This "could" be the year that they lay heaps of praise on Scorcese for snubbing him for so long, turning it into an Aviator "fest" but who knows.