Author Topic: Oscars  (Read 17345 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

Re: Oscars
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2023, 09:43:18 pm »
haha.  Def understand.

You lost me at Forgetting Sarah Marshall but you do you, man.

« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2023, 11:50:37 pm »
He's actually good on that Apple series with Jason Segel - Shrinking.
agreed...of course he's playing a character with Parkinsons, so some what convenient to that
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2023, 11:53:59 pm »
agreed...of course he's playing a character with Parkinsons, so some what convenient to that
My Googling from yesterday did reveal — just in case anyone else was similarly confused — that he does not have Parkinson’s in real life for the record.

Yes, he’s taking a job away from an actor who actually has Parkinson’s. Or as Space would refer to it: he’s performing in Chronic Disease Blackface.
LVMH

Hutch

« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2023, 08:08:26 am »
My Googling from yesterday did reveal — just in case anyone else was similarly confused — that he does not have Parkinson’s in real life for the record.

Yes, he’s taking a job away from an actor who actually has Parkinson’s. Or as Space would refer to it: he’s performing in Chronic Disease Blackface.

Ha ha good one

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2023, 12:11:22 pm »
Why do people like the Everything movie so much?
It feels very new. It’s idiosyncratic and made by a younger generation of filmmakers and obvious means a lot to the LGBT and Asian communities. It is impressive from an acting, writing, visual and sound effect standpoint. It checks a lot of boxes.

It was not my favorite film of the year (that would be Tár of the nominees and Close out of all films), but I thought it quite good. I will say it’s rise to winning all these awards seems organic and genuinely reflecting that subset of people who have real passion for it, unlike last year’s CODA campaign which was an abomination.

I tried watching it, twice. Painfulx2.

you've got company
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2023, 02:37:23 pm »
Why do people like the Everything movie so much?
It feels very new. It’s idiosyncratic and made by a younger generation of filmmakers and obvious means a lot to the LGBT and Asian communities. It is impressive from an acting, writing, visual and sound effect standpoint. It checks a lot of boxes.

It was not my favorite film of the year (that would be Tár of the nominees and Close out of all films), but I thought it quite good. I will say it’s rise to winning all these awards seems organic and genuinely reflecting that subset of people who have real passion for it, unlike last year’s CODA campaign which was an abomination.

I tried watching it, twice. Painfulx2.

you've got company

And another.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-reviewed-theres-no-there-there

“Everything Everywhere All at Once,” Reviewed: There’s No There There
Despite the presence of Michelle Yeoh, this is a vapor puff of corporatized fantasy.

And another.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/may/11/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-review-nothing-nowhere-over-a-long-period-of-time

Everything Everywhere All at Once review – nothing nowhere over a long period of time
Despite some smart gags, this broadly buzzed-about comedy turns out to be an oddly mediocre misfire

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2024, 10:28:35 am »
Pilfered from BlueSky

Lance Parkin @lanceparkin.bsky.social

Wins for Oppenheimer and Godzilla Minus One mean this is the first time a movie and its sequel both won Oscars the same year.
T.Rex

« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2024, 03:40:05 pm »
nothing, nowhere over a long period of time

if they do a sequel. this should be the title
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2024, 08:05:11 pm »
20 Days in Mariupol won for best documentary, for its telling of the russian's siege and destruction of the southern ukrainian city in february 2022.  the doc can be watched online for free, but it's a brutal watch. 
<sig>

Hutch

« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2024, 08:26:05 pm »

Yes if we pump in enough weapons and other assistance we can maintain the status quo give a shift of the line this way or that…..while Ukraine gets more destroyed

Let’s not even get into the advisability of throwing billion after billion down the toilet with never ending increasing deficits…money we need…

What happens when the Republicans take over? Or forget that, what happens when republicans no longer approve spending on aid to Ukraine? Like now?

Do you assume this will be won quickly and Ukraine will rush Moscow and the Russians won’t use any nukes? Or the Russians will overthrow Putin and elect a real democratic government?

There is not widespread support in America to continue spending on this….sooner or later the politicians will reflect it.

It’s not realistic to think this can continue for much longer…maybe a couple of years. These couple of years will be a waste of money.

Hutch

« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2024, 08:40:25 pm »
Sometimes wars are hopeless. Why can’t people accept that after so many examples

Irak
Afghanistan
Nicaragua
Vietnam

The arguments are always the same: we must stay in and spend spend spend and if we don’t doom.

Did the world fall apart after we left Irak, Afghanistan, Nicaragua or Vietnam?