Author Topic: British Sea Power Roll Call  (Read 6177 times)

eilo97

Re: British Sea Power Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 04:05:00 pm »
i will also be attending tonight.  does anyone know roughly what time bsp will go on?

bearman🐻

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 04:07:00 pm »
I'm sure it will be great but (surprise surprise) I'll be at Echo & the Bunnymen in Philly   :)

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 08:32:00 pm »
Alas, my allergies are bad today and I feel under the weather. Might not make it after all. Everyone report back afterwards!

brennser

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2005, 12:35:00 am »
meh

stunningly mediocre performance from BSP tonight - really seemed like they were just going thru the motions - the songs from the new CD still lack a spark even live - the songs from "Decline" were better

but overall I was quite unmoved

nice catching up w/ redsock and tbmtt and lily

lily1

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 12:44:00 am »
blah...dull...downright boring at times...and the last 25 min were an absolute waste...is the show indicative of the new album?

i haven't heard the new album yet. how does it compare to the prior release?

Bartelby

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 12:59:00 am »
Wow, I thought maybe they'd burned themselves out early, but it sounds like the whole set was as lackluster as the last 35 minutes. Got there at 11:30 and was very disappointed...they seemed so bored to be playing for us...on the other hand, Kasabian blew me away.

redsock

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 01:57:00 am »
As brennser said so well, meh.

Just felt like they were lacking energy, even the old stuff. Some highlights, but few and far between. Good talking to brennser as well. and meeting tbmtt.

myuman

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 06:04:00 am »
Am I the only one that was certain his voice was completely spent.  I felt he was struggling all night.  Very monotone vocals because of it.  It seemed to me the new material was done at a faster tempo than I was ready for.  Another thing... no foliage!  What about the beat up owl decoy?  Yeah, mediocre is about right, but still a very good show compared to your average "show"... but not entirely BSP.... but I'm saying his voice was whacked (so therein lies the blame).

brennser

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 06:44:00 am »
the new album is not as good as the first

Originally posted by lily1:

i haven't heard the new album yet. how does it compare to the prior release?

lily1

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 08:41:00 am »
it sounded like he either had a cold or was coming off a cold. his voice was very raspy. that's the first thing i noticed.

Originally posted by myuman:
  Am I the only one that was certain his voice was completely spent.  I felt he was struggling all night.  

Arthwys

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2005, 10:10:00 am »
Sadly, I agree with the above posts....It was a very mediocre show.  The crowd could tell that the energy just wasn't there, and thus wasn't as active as usual.  Towards the end, they tried to do their usual end of show antics, but it felt forced.  A few of us up front managed to convince Nobby to jump into the crowd, but he lasted two seconds crowdsurfing then fell to the floor, got up again only to barely make it to the stage.  I am glad I was there to support my favorite Cumbrians, but knew in my heart Kasabian was just a short walk down u street blowing an audience away.  Oh well.

On the bright side, I really enjoyed Feist.  Completely solo singer-songwriter type that I usually find rather boring, but she had good rapport with the crowd.  She sounded a little like a solo, toned down, female Jeff Buckley I thought.
Emrys

BookerT

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 10:21:00 am »
i'll add to the consensus that it was a somewhat lackluster show last nite. it sort of felt like watching a practice. nice songs, played well, but that's about it. and this is coming from someone who could care less about onstage theatrics and all that kind of stuff. (as in, the lack of foliage didn't bother me at all.) it was my first time seeing them, so i can't compare it to any past shows. i do know that they played just about every song i wanted to hear in the first 25 minutes of the show, and they sort of rushed through them all so i was like, "oh, well now what?"

still, great lead guitar lines. "remember me" is one for the ages.

ggw

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2005, 10:33:00 am »
Now I don't feel so bad about the Capital area's construction crews preventing me from making the show.

brennser

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2005, 10:50:00 am »
hey ggw - are you talking about the back up on 395 last night - that was wild! I eventually got out at Pentagon City and got over the river another way

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Now I don't feel so bad about the Capital area's construction crews preventing me from making the show.

ggw

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2005, 10:57:00 am »
Yeah.  I finally escaped at Wash Blvd and took the Roosevelt only to find that L Street was shut down at Pennsylvania. I spent another 15 minutes inching around Washington Circle.  It was almost 11:15 at this point so I just threw in the towel.

Originally posted by brennser:
  hey ggw - are you talking about the back up on 395 last night - that was wild! I eventually got out at Pentagon City and got over the river another way

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
[/b]