Author Topic: British Sea Power Roll Call  (Read 6176 times)

twelsh737

Re: British Sea Power Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2005, 11:43:00 am »
I finally rolled into work and don't have much to add to the above reviews. I had not seen BSP before so I have no comparison, but the first half was much better then the last half. On a side note I was mildly impressed with Feist although she did not have enough voice to overcome the constant chatter. Nice seeing Brenster again and meeting Redsock.

Arthwys

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2005, 11:44:00 am »
To those who this was a first time BSP experience, I feel I must defend the lads...

I saw them perform at the Black cat twice before, once opening for The Libertines, once headlining on their own.  Both times were fantastic.  The onstage energy was great and their playing was dead-on.  I do rather miss the WWI ear uniforms and foliage, it was a nice touch that I hoped would simply become their staple throughout their careers.  I heard glowing reviews of earlier shows on this tour, such as those in texas, where the band and crowd were both very into it and something about a wicker stag being paraded around/destroyed.  

As for the second album, it's similar, yet different.  The raw driving energy release that was a good half of "Decline of..." is replaced by more of a introspective lush sound.  I look at British Sea Power as being about a musical journey, the fist album is the excitement of getting friends together and heading out into the wilds to camp and romp and chase down the fauna.  "Open Season" is the time during the trip that you spend some time just sitting or walking, imbuing the nature that is around you, and appreciating the flora.  "Drape yourself in greenery, become part of the scenery" is the phrase that sets the mood for the album.  I think esentially what I'm trying to say is, each album is two sides to a coin, and complement each other, rather than stand opposed.
Emrys

bearman🐻

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2005, 11:59:00 am »
Sorry that the BSP show wasn't better...Echo & the Bunnymen (in Philly) on the other hand were incredible. The show wasn't even sold out, I got a great spot in front of Will and his playing was superb. Mac looked a little padded around the waist, but hell can he sing even while chain smoking. It was a strictly oldies-but-goodies set (one new song), and they played for almost 1 hour and 45 minutes. No "Do It Clean", but just about everything you might want to hear was there. They opened with "Going Up" and did a mind-blowing version of "Over the Wall" and "Loose" by the Stooges. Awesome show.

rigsby

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2005, 12:59:00 pm »
bsp were great the first two times at the black cat (both times shoeless), but now just seem worn out, there are rumours that they will be back in the fall.
 yes the new cd is dull.
 the boys need to get rid of the footwear that they have been wearing during the last two average gigs at the black cat.

Bartelby

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2005, 01:22:00 pm »
Dr. Sushi checking in:  With regard to the raspy vocals:  a few other singers in the past weeks have sounded pretty weak.  A few of my local musician friends have been so affected by the pollen counts, they've lost their voices entirely.  Perhaps that explains last night's probs. and Butch Walker's vocal probs. on Mon. night...I'm sure the BC smoking crowd/bad ventilation doesn't help either.  

Crowd story:  the BSP sound guy and I were gagging and laughing at a couple draped over the front of the sound booth...talking, screaming and making out thru the show...at one time the guy threw his arm back and almost knocked a few switches down...what IS it with that place?  Are those guys really music fans?  Why do they stand out there when there are perfectly (awful) soft fake leather couches in the back to make out and "conversate" loudly on?  Still puzzled!!!  :roll:

SalParadise

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 01:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by BadSushi:

Crowd story:  the BSP sound guy and I were gagging and laughing at a couple draped over the front of the sound booth...talking, screaming and making out thru the show...at one time the guy threw his arm back and almost knocked a few switches down...what IS it with that place?  Are those guys really music fans?  Why do they stand out there when there are perfectly (awful) soft fake leather couches in the back to make out and "conversate" loudly on?  Still puzzled!!!   :roll:  
sorry, i hadn't seen her in like 2 weeks.

kidding...i was standing right around there, but missed the sideshow apparently.

Bartelby

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 03:14:00 pm »
They were probably down on the floor, dry-humping by then...sheesh!