Author Topic: The Arcade Fire don't like being upstaged by Radiohead  (Read 10260 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: The Arcade Fire don't like being upstaged by Radiohead
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »
les savy fav were already making music way before blogs even existed...

they're great...

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  les savy fav?  puh-lease.  those blogosphere-driven hacks are entirely over-rated.  they are this year's CYHSY.
(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2007, 06:44:00 pm »
I have already seen all those bands...didn't need to be there on Saturday to know who was the best.

Sage 703

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2007, 09:30:00 pm »
was I the only one who thought the sound for the Arcade Fire was abysmal, especially compared to how awesome LCD Soundsystem came across?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2007, 12:26:00 am »
callat - dang, wish i had known you were in attendance, would have loved to buy you a drank.

no, i didn't notice that AF sounded that much worse than LCD.  in fact, given the complexity of their sound i thought they sounded particularly good.  definitely a notch up from coachella.  where were you located?  from where i was (dead center, a little forward of mid-way between stage and soundboard), i thought the mix was damn good.

might be getting too dorky here, but it seemed to me there were primary instruments in the mix (drums, one or two guitar, bass, lead vocals) and secondary (strings, percs, keys, backing vocals, etc).  the primaries were kept well forward, while the secondaries were constantly jostling for position.  given the constraints of mixing that many instruments on a PA that big, i thought the mix was more than decent.

thing that annoyed me the most about the show: regine mouthing all the words with way too much feeling, essentially over-acting them.  she marched around the stage like mick jagger, getting in the face of the crowd (all the while without a mic), making sure everyone knew that she not only knew the words, but that she felt them.   she looked like a 16-year-old wannabe drama student that somebody made the mistake of giving the spotlight to, feeling the lyrics just a bit too much.  couldn't help but think, "get over yourself".   looked really forced.
<sig>

Sage 703

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2007, 10:39:00 am »
Yeah - I decided last minute to head on up.

I was back in the crowd, stage left, probably about five to ten feet back of the soundboard.  We didn't move at all between LCD and AF, but I noticed that it seemed as though they were having a lot of troubles balancing the instrumentation.  For example - "Keep the Car Running" didn't seem to have any low end.  The mandolin cut through, Win's vocals were right up front - but I felt as though the drums, bass and pulse of the song were generally lost.  I also noticed a lot of phasing in the sound - whether that was a result of a sound guy trying to fix whatever problem there may have been, or a fluke of location, I don't know.  I was just really surprised at the difference between the two bands.

I thought performance wise, the AF were great.  You're right - they deliver.  Unfortunately I just couldn't get over the sound woes - it always seemed to me that something was dominating the overall sound instead of it all melding together.  Perhaps it could have been a fluke of where we were standing, which would have been unfortunate - we ended up leaving about halfway through the set because we just couldn't make out a lot of the instrumentation.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »
were you anywhere near the secondary (reinforcing) PA?  maybe it was messing with your perceived mix.

i have a personal rule: primary PA only.  i refuse to be subjected to those behind-the-soundboard speakers.  no one is mixing for them, the timing has to be just right, etc.
<sig>

Sage 703

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  were you anywhere near the secondary (reinforcing) PA?  maybe it was messing with your perceived mix.

i have a personal rule: primary PA only.  i refuse to be subjected to those behind-the-soundboard speakers.  no one is mixing for them, the timing has to be just right, etc.
You know, I didn't notice if I was, but that would make some measure of sense.  What was so odd was that the LCD Soundsystem mix was perfect, and then Arcade Fire took the stage and everything seemed to get messed up.  Oh well.

I agree with that rule entirely.