Author Topic: An Englishman in Boston  (Read 2248 times)

vansmack

An Englishman in Boston
« on: October 26, 2004, 11:55:00 am »
Monday, October 25, 2004
 Red Sox Nation breathes life into team

---------------------------------------------------------------
 By Alex Trickett
 Special to ESPN.com

Alex Trickett, who was born in London, was raised on soccer and cricket, and currently covers those sports for the BBC Sport website. He took in his first World Series games at Fenway last weekend and came away a fan of baseball, as well.

Sheer force of will won Boston the first two games of the 2004 World Series. And, as a relative newcomer to baseball, it was remarkable to watch.

Sure, the Red Sox did their bit -- David Ortiz, Mark Bellhorn, Keith Foulke and Curt Schilling in particular. But, for my money, the home fans stole the show, breathing life into Fenway Park, sucking it out of St. Louis, and simply refusing to let their team lose.

As an Englishman, I am used to passionate sporting devotion on a grand scale. Our country grinds to an absolute standstill when England plays in the World Cup, and soccer teams across the land get unflinching support through even the most difficult times.

But what happened in Boston on the weekend was special, as I discovered while waiting near the players' entrance to pick up credentials.

A massive wall of sound almost swept me off my feet and gleeful fans scampered to look through chinks in a nearby fence. It was 3 p.m. ET and there were still five whole hours until the first pitch, but "Papi" Ortiz had arrived and the Game 1 party could start.

Father figures seem to be important in the Boston set-up right now, with Papi backed up by ace pitcher Pedro Martinez, who won back his "Daddy" status when the Sox stunned the mighty New York Yankees in the ALCS.

At the risk of laboring the family theme, the fans were at it as well.

From my privileged position, I overheard frustrated diehards discussing what they would do to get into Fenway for Boston's first trip to the World Series since 1986.

One man volunteered his own "semi-healthy liver" for a ticket, and another eager pair agreed they would sell their grandma and possibly their wife, with a couple household pets thrown in to the deal.

I guess the point is that the Red Sox Nation treats this group of players like family.

Protective groans of disappointment rather than anger greeted heinous errors like those made by Manny Ramirez and Bill Mueller in the first two games. Conversely, every RBI was celebrated as if the fans themselves had swung the bat -- with high fives all round.

Amid the deafening clamor for a Saturday hero, the fittingly named Bellhorn answered loudly, booming a home run past me in right field. The homer was his, but Sox fans were involved again, inhaling sharply to suck the ball fair when it threatened to go foul.

It was like that both nights -- a hugely hands-on experience for everyone in Fenway.

Questionable calls drew a chorus of disapproval that sounded a bit like a million mooing cows in a field. And St. Louis batters in the on-deck circle were picked apart mercilessly by Boston hecklers.

Through it all, the few Cardinal fans were almost voiceless.

That is a shame. One of my few criticisms of American sport is the lack of away support, an inevitable product of the huge distances between rival teams.

Unchallenged, home crowds make an impressive noise, but the creative component of their chanting suffers.

Where English soccer fans tailor fresh songs for every game and bounce them off equally vociferous rival fans to the entertainment of all, U.S. supporters have become lazy, relying on tried (some many say tired) and trusted classics like "Let's go Red Sox."

This is only a minor quibble, though.

From Aerosmith (whose Steven Tyler sang the opening anthem) to Yastrzemski (who threw out the first pitch), Boston's version of the World Series spectacle was fantastic, and there is plenty more to come.

St. Louis fans finally get their chance to answer on Tuesday and will no doubt be in fine voice. But will they want victory as much as the success-starved Red Sox Nation?

Somehow, I doubt it. On this evidence, that would surely be impossible.

Alex Trickett is a BBC Online staff writer.
27>34

Re: An Englishman in Boston
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 12:02:00 pm »
The reason this Sox team MIGHT win it all is that it has gone from being Nomar and Pedro's team to being Ortiz and Schilling's team.

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 12:13:00 pm »
Oh, are the Cardinals in this Series, too?
 By Tom Powers
 Knight-Ridder News Service

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Cardinals also are participating in this World Series. There should at least be an asterisk somewhere that calls attention to that fact.

Ever since the postseason began, the headlines have blared, "Red Sox Win" or "Red Sox Lose." Now in the World Series it's as if the Cards are playing straight man to the Red Sox's long-running, cosmic comedy act.

Cardinals starter Jeff Suppan could pitch a no-hitter Tuesday night, and tomorrow the banners would declare, "Sox Bats Grow Cold." Albert Pujols could hit four home runs and then find out, "Sox Pitching Slumps."

It's all about the Red Sox.

If the team buses collided outside Busch Stadium, the news would be, "Sox Batboy Slightly Injured in Crash." A much smaller headline underneath might add, "Twenty-Five Cardinals also killed."

"I don't think we're paying any attention to where the sentiment is," St. Louis manager Tony La Russa said Monday. "We've gotten a lot of congratulations and good wishes, too."

Maybe from the baseball fans of St. Louis. Everywhere else, this series is being billed as the Boston Red Sox vs. the Curse of the Bambino.

P.S. The St. Louis Cardinals also are in attendance.

In Boston, I kept waiting to read in one of the gossip columns: "Huddled deep in the center fielder bleachers was Tom Hanks. Seen six rows behind the Red Sox dugout was Matt Damon. And spotted in the visitors' dugout, the St. Louis Cardinals."

"You look at how it's TV-driven and I'm sure they wanted teams like Chicago and Boston," Cards reliever Ray King said, referring to two teams with serious issues. "We're not going to let any of it be a distraction. We're not out of this thing."

They aren't out of it. They aren't really considered in it, either. They are sort of like wallpaper, hanging in the background.

Down 2-0, La Russa said the two losses in Boston had nothing to do with the baseball gods waking up on the wrong side of the bed. Instead, he points to pitching, or the lack of it, by his team.

"In the end, they have had a few more pitches to hit," he said. "I think we have the same strengths. It depends on which pitcher makes better pitches."

"We know we can play with them," closer Jason Isringhausen said. "We just haven't been able to take advantage of the opportunities. I don't know if it's because it's the World Series or what. But no big deal. We'll be fine."

Those missed opportunities consisted of, in large part, eight Red Sox errors -- four in each game.

Sox manager Terry Francona joked that his team might continue to make four errors a game. It seems like a lucky number.

"I hope they do. We'll win one of them in there somewhere," La Russa said.

"Sox Defense Falters."

Monday, the Cardinals all spoke about how wonderful it was to be back home. And they weren't talking about their home fans or their ballpark, although that's part of it.

The Cardinals were absolutely miserable in Boston, stationed in a dumpy hotel in the middle of nowhere with no restaurants nearby and no room service after 11 p.m. La Russa was ticked off with the accommodations, which were handled by the host Red Sox.

"I'm just being honest," he said. "People can take it however they want. The thing is, the World Series is something you dream about. Every ballplayer dreams about the World Series. You want it to be everything you dream about. But it wasn't a big-league experience."

Actually, the Red Sox had booked the Cardinals into a wonderful downtown Boston hotel. But after the Sox fell behind the Yankees 3-0 in the ALCS, the hotel lost faith and informed the team it no longer was holding the rooms.

By the time the Red Sox had completed their comeback against New York, every hotel room in the city was booked. They found rooms at a rundown joint out in the burg of Quincy. The only thing nearby is the turnpike, which I hear is quite beautiful when the trucks roll by at 4 a.m.

"Hopefully we get back to Boston and take care of that," La Russa said. "We'll figure out how to fix it and we'll have a big-league experience."

My theory is that hotel management didn't put its best foot forward because it didn't realize it was playing host to a professional baseball team.

As far as they knew, the only team still playing is the Boston Red Sox.

------

Tom Powers is a sports columnist for the St. Paul (Minn.) Pioneer Press.

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 03:01:00 pm »
Don't worry Pollard, when you win, the headline will read "Sox Lose as the Curse Rears it's Ugly Head."

So you've got that going for you...
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 03:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Don't worry Pollard, when you win, the headline will read "Sox Lose as the Curse Rears it's Ugly Head."

So you've got that going for you...
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 01:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  Oh, are the Cardinals in this Series, too?
 By Tom Powers
 Knight-Ridder News Service

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Cardinals also are participating in this World Series. There should at least be an asterisk somewhere that calls attention to that fact.

an asterisk?  i dont think they've even earned an asterisk yet.

vansmack

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 01:33:00 pm »
Somehow, I missed this but the SG was kind enough to point it out:

Weird fact in case you missed it: The Celtics won their first championship against St. Louis (1957); the Bruins broke a 41-year Stanley Cup drought against St. Louis (1970); and the Patriots won their first Super Bowl against St. Louis (2002). Hey, I'm just the messenger.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 01:37:00 pm »
I saw that on TV over the weekend, thought that was pretty interesting.

Somehow, i bet the Red Sox could beat the Rams if they played them on Sunday.