Author Topic: ipod news, H O T ! ! !  (Read 24479 times)

MaLo

Re: ipod news, H O T ! ! !
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2004, 04:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:

Originally posted by econo:
  Damn yo, you're bussin' it?  I think a new jobby job is needed.

are you saying that the mini is plenty large enough? i think i may be riding the bus to work, in which case an mp3 player is needed.
[/b]
heh, actually this would be a new job, and it would be bus/metro. tennleytown is not an easy place to get to    :(  

i always tell people, 'you know that big space in virginia where there looks like there should be a metro station, and there isn't? i live there.' [/b]
That quote applies to pretty much all of northern VA..it applies to my neighborhood as well..and i know for a fact you don't live near me

oh, and here's my contribution to the IPOD discussion...its the U2 ipod: http://www.apple.com/ipod/u2/

markie

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2004, 04:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

Does that mean Ashlee Simpsonn is better than the Delgados?
Apples vs Oranges.

Was VHS better than Beta? Then how did it succeed?

thirsty moore

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2004, 04:15:00 pm »
Congrats on the new job! Sorry about the commute...

heh, actually this would be a new job, and it would be bus/metro. tennleytown is not an easy place to get to    :(

ggw

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2004, 04:16:00 pm »
Gateway is in the crapper.

Dell is up 40-50%

HP/Compaq is up 25-30%

Originally posted by Deepak Chopra:
  To GGW

"Apple's unit sales have improved a paltry 7% since 2002."

How have Dell and Gateway done in the same time?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2004, 04:20:00 pm »
vhs vs beta is a poor comparision, seeing as there were two incompatible technologies involved.  and yes beta was better than vhs expect for the fact that vhs came out with a longer format.  professional broadcaster used beta long after it wasn't a popular consumer choice.

a better comparsion would be microsoft (ipod) vs apple (iriver).  yes the ipod is the dominate seller, it also dosen't mean that there isn't room for other companies to innovate and develope products.  and it would appear iriver isn't going away any time soon.

if for example wanted to play OGG or WMA files I'd have to look elsewhere than an iPod.
T.Rex

Venerable Bede

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
  It'd be nice if the iPod had a tuner installed.  I'm surprised they haven't added that.  Who knows, maybe they'll throw in XM or something next go'round.
the virgin player will have an FM tuner on it.
OU812

ggw

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2004, 04:32:00 pm »
Is it just me, or does the new VHS or Beta single sound just like the Cure?

ratioci nation

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2004, 04:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Is it just me, or does the new VHS or Beta single sound just like the Cure?
One of the few songs I have purchased off of Itunes, and I agree completely with you.

vansmack

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2004, 04:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 the virgin player will have an FM tuner on it.
The Napster player already has an FM tuner/recorder/broadcaster - I have never once used the tuner or the recorder.  I use the broadcaster everyday.
27>34

bellenseb

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2004, 05:00:00 pm »
For me, the biggest make or break for any mp3 player is its versatility, and iPod fails this test. You can't drag and drop music, plug it into multiple computers, transfer music back to the computer if your computer dies and loses all the music, you need to install software to use it so you can't at work, etc.

I realize there are workarounds to most or all of these, but I hate the idea of having a player that treats me like a criminal and having to jump through so many hoops to do basic things.

My RCA Lyra mounts as a hard drive and can build its own iD3 database, so you can drag and drop music to and from any computer without installing any software. It doesn't have a sexy scroll wheel, but versatility and compatibility wins out for me.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2004, 05:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by MaLo:

Damn yo, you're bussin' it?  I think a new jobby job is needed.

are you saying that the mini is plenty large enough? i think i may be riding the bus to work, in which case an mp3 player is needed.
[/b]
heh, actually this would be a new job, and it would be bus/metro. tennleytown is not an easy place to get to     :(    

i always tell people, 'you know that big space in virginia where there looks like there should be a metro station, and there isn't? i live there.' [/b]
That quote applies to pretty much all of northern VA..it applies to my neighborhood as well..and i know for a fact you don't live near me

oh, and here's my contribution to the IPOD discussion...its the U2 ipod:  http://www.apple.com/ipod/u2/ [/b]
except your neighborhood isn't even near the map
o/\o

markie

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2004, 05:08:00 pm »
i)You can't drag and drop music

Why would you want to? Actually it is as simple as drag and drop in itunes if you want it to be

ii) plug it into multiple computers,

Yes you can.

iii)transfer music back to the computer if your computer dies and loses all the music

true enough, but then if you legally rip the CDs it isnt a problem

iv) you need to install software to use it so you can't at work, etc.

You could always plug your computer speakers directly into it. If you can install apps, how can you rip or download music anyhow?

The ipod is real easy. You cannot upload music from it to another computer, for that mild annoyance you get the advantage of the legal ipod download store.

bellenseb

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2004, 05:17:00 pm »
Do you realize how long it takes to rip (and then re-rip) 1000 albums?

Who wants to install software on every computer you encounter? In many cases, you aren't able to (i.e. at work). You also have to drag around apple's proprietary, added-expense cable, instead of using whatever USB cord is around.

Who wants to be prohibited from sharing their music collection among their *own* computers? Again, do you realize how long it takes to rip a thousand plus CDs?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2004, 05:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Deepak Chopra:

The ipod is real easy. You cannot upload music from it to another computer, for that mild annoyance you get the advantage of the legal ipod download store.
but you don't need an ipod to be able to listen to music downloaded from emusic that dosen't have drm nonsense added to it.
T.Rex

helicon1

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2004, 05:29:00 pm »
Not an IPOD, but...

Portable XM!