Author Topic: Marathon Tips?  (Read 180871 times)

TimCooke

Re: Marathon Tips?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 08:56:00 am »
All I know is that I'm super surprised that there are so many marathoners here.  I figured most of your habits included sitting at the computer all day updating the Message Board and hanging at 9:30 at night swilling beer.

nkotb

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 09:11:00 am »
Agreed.  I figured Rhett & Celeste, GGW and maybe one or two others would chime in.  We're less out of shape than I thought!

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm actually using Hal Higdon's guide to get prepped; an out of shape friend of mine used it and he was able to finish relatively easy, so I'm hoping I do even better.  

I may revisit this topic a month out to find out exactly what sort of marathon prep I should do.  Dropping things like "sodium packets" means nothing to me, since the most elaborate running supply I've ever purchased was an iPod Shuffle.

Originally posted by CookieMonster:
  All I know is that I'm super surprised that there are so many marathoners here.  I figured most of your habits included sitting at the computer all day updating the Message Board and hanging at 9:30 at night swilling beer.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
You're probably right. When I plan for 24, I actually end up doing less. I don't think I've ever done a training run more than 22-23 miles, and I've trained for 13 marathons. It's really tough going over 20 when you're not doing the actual race, at least for me. Still, when I've topped out on training at ONLY 20, it spelled trouble in terms of finishing without walking.

Originally posted by PigIron:

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Congratulations on your decision!

25-30 miles spread over four or five days a week is a good start. But you want to spread that out such that one of those days is a long run. Try adding two miles to your long run every second week until you hit a base of 12. Then do that 12 for awhile until it's old hat and easy breezy (or the marathon date dictates that you better start adding more mileage to your long run.) After 12 is easy breezy, again begin adding two miles every other week.

You'd do a long run schedule of:

Week 1: 12 miles
 Week 2:8-10
 Week 3: 14
 Week 4 8-10
 Week 5: 16
 Week 6: 8-10
 Week 7: 18

etc. until you hit 24 two weeks before the marathon. Meanwhile, keep doing your short runs 3-4 times a week. But sticking to your long run is the key.

NYC is a wonderful marathon to run. The crowd support is awesome and keeps you going. I just wish they had the chip in the first few NYC marathons I ran, when I did my personal best. It would have knocked 5-10 minutes off my time.
No offense, but 24 before the race seems like too much.  That could be the case for some people, but it takes awhile to recover from a run like that, especially for someone going into their first marathon.  There are different programs out there I know, but I wouldn't advise this, and I've been doing races for a long time.  I would top out at 20-21 two weeks prior - just my opinion. [/b]

ggw

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »
I tried the "top out at 20 miles" regime for my first marathon.  The result was that I ran great for the first 20 miles (2 hours 56 minutes).  Then I totally fell apart.

nkotb

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »
That was my friends only criticism.  I'm actually starting the real training early (just this morning, in fact) because I already have two weekends were running just won't be possible.  My plan is to shift everything just a bit (rearranging the days, etc.), and I'll probably add a 20+ run to fill in the gap.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I tried the "top out at 20 miles" regime for my first marathon.  The result was that I ran great for the first 20 miles (2 hours 56 minutes).  Then I totally fell apart.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »
i have a general running question, figure this is a good place to ask

during the week i usually do a quick 3 mile or so run. i would like to wake up early on weekends and do a bit longer, but it seems like i run out of energy. should i eat something first, and if so, how long should i wait to digest?
o/\o

terry

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
That's exactly what happened to me. I didn't totally fall apart but my legs certainly were not accustomed to more than 20 miles and I definitely felt it. Now I make sure I get a 20+ run in 3 weeks before race day. Actually, what you can do is run a marathon 3 weeks before NY and use that as your last long run.

allmy$to930

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 12:32:00 pm »
I have done three and plan to start scaling up to run Baltimore this fall.

I generally agree with everything that has been posted here.  

Two additional points:

1) For me, caloric intake and hydration is the key to completing a marathon. Devote a lot of time to testing various ratios of water/sports drink/gels/etc during long runs.  I also highly recommend SUCCEED electrolyte caps. Push fluids and gels early in the marathon...if you start to feel thirsty during the race, you have waited too long.

2) Add some light lifting in your training program.  Strengthen your abs and shoulders so you can maintain good posture at the end of the race. Slouching leads to ineffecient running and even injury.

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 12:35:00 pm »
you people are crazy!!

thats all i'm sayin  ;)

Celeste

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by allmy$to930:
  Add some light lifting in your training program.  Strengthen your abs and shoulders so you can maintain good posture at the end of the race. Slouching leads to ineffecient running and even injury.
I agree, this is essential.

It seems many runners dismiss non-cardio workouts and protein consumption. (I used to be this way.) But getting a good supply of branched chain amino acids (I like Designer Whey in a smoothie) and weight training made a big difference in my fitness level...and will support your running.

Celeste

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  i have a general running question, figure this is a good place to ask

during the week i usually do a quick 3 mile or so run. i would like to wake up early on weekends and do a bit longer, but it seems like i run out of energy. should i eat something first, and if so, how long should i wait to digest?
I would say, depends on your body. For me, I could see eating a slice of whole wheat toast w some peanut butter and an apple and heading out a half hour later...it all depends if & when you have to take a morning crap, too...

godsshoeshine

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »
i crap within 20 minutes of waking up
o/\o

Celeste

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »
perfect, then

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »
There are some things on this board you are never prepared for....
27>34

PigIron

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 01:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

There are some things on this board you are never prepared for.... [/b]
Probably, the most interesting thing before any marathon, or even the 10Ks, is the bathroom line of people who need to take a dump.  Its hard to understand this scene unless you are a runner.  But its true, at big races, massive lines of people who wait to take a pre-race dump.  
 During the last Baltimore running festival, I witnessed a woman squat down between two cars (at about mile 2) and take a shit in the road, as runners ran by and spectators watched in horror.  Probably the coolest race spectacle in recent memory.