Author Topic: Marathon Tips?  (Read 178967 times)

Space Freely

Re: Marathon Tips?
« Reply #390 on: March 26, 2019, 10:26:01 am »
My heel spur from last year healed in due time. But I've become too fat, old, and debilitated to do any kind of "racing". As if a marathon could actually be considered "racing" for us mid to back of packers.

Two years on from this post and I'm probably not officially retired from marathons. Persistent feet and knee problems. 17 marathons in 22 years, but Baltimore 2013 was my last one. I also like to brag that in my lifetime it seems likely I have ran at least the circumference of the earth (24,901 miles).

nkotb

« Reply #391 on: March 26, 2019, 10:35:21 am »
At the moment, I'm saying I'm retired from full ones.  I was really surprised at how well I did last year (cut about 10 minutes off my time, recovered way faster than previous races), but the training just takes so much time.  It's kind of hard to be gone for 3 - 4 hours on nice weekend days, especially when my kids are still at the age where they want to be around me.  We'll see though...i've thought this same thing after each previous race.

Two years on from this post and I'm probably not officially retired from marathons. Persistent feet and knee problems. 17 marathons in 22 years, but Baltimore 2013 was my last one. I also like to brag that in my lifetime it seems likely I have ran at least the circumference of the earth (24,901 miles).

Space Freely

« Reply #392 on: March 26, 2019, 10:40:28 am »
At the moment, I'm saying I'm retired from full ones.  I was really surprised at how well I did last year (cut about 10 minutes off my time, recovered way faster than previous races), but the training just takes so much time.  It's kind of hard to be gone for 3 - 4 hours on nice weekend days, especially when my kids are still at the age where they want to be around me.  We'll see though...i've thought this same thing after each previous race.

I just wish I had lasted long enough to have run one that my kid will remember. She was six when I did my last one and she's already forgotten it. Also, apologies to half marathoners who I used to make fun of. I'd be happy if I could gut out a half these days.

« Reply #393 on: March 26, 2019, 10:49:57 am »
especially when my kids are still at the age where they want to be around me. 
that won't last long...Don't miss that opportunity
slack

nkotb

« Reply #394 on: March 26, 2019, 10:53:26 am »
LOl no joke. I was at a wedding right in the worst part of training (3 back to back 20 miler weeks) and talked to a women training for a half. She pointed out her long run was like 11 miles...that seemed like a dream!

I just wish I had lasted long enough to have run one that my kid will remember. She was six when I did my last one and she's already forgotten it. Also, apologies to half marathoners who I used to make fun of. I'd be happy if I could gut out a half these days.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #395 on: March 26, 2019, 10:56:31 am »
I had an epic season in 2015, where I PR'd at every distance I ran and qualified with a 3:24.  As soon as that ended, I caught a serious case of mindblock, where I doubted I could ever do that again.  I stopped training for 2 years and am now just getting serious about rebuilding my endurance.  I'm reconciled to the idea that the speed is gone and I'm just getting older...

Relaxer

« Reply #396 on: March 26, 2019, 11:29:33 am »
One thing that I used to do was to bring one of my kids down to Hains Point and I would run laps while they biked alongside me. It was really enjoyable, but then my pace slowed and theirs sped up so after a few years, that was that.
oword

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #397 on: September 22, 2019, 09:15:41 pm »
ISO Apple Watch fitness app that allows me to edit workout details (calories burned, etc.) on the watch instead of having to do it on the iPhone. I'm fine with a parent app that needs to live on the phone, but I want to workout without my phone.
😐 🎶

« Reply #398 on: September 23, 2019, 09:33:10 am »
ISO Apple Watch fitness app that allows me to edit workout details (calories burned, etc.) on the watch instead of having to do it on the iPhone. I'm fine with a parent app that needs to live on the phone, but I want to workout without my phone.
Why do you want to edit the calories burned?
if you don't bring your phone will it not track the workout?
No advice on app though
slack

WALKonBack

« Reply #399 on: September 23, 2019, 09:48:36 am »
Maybe it's just me, but this is how I perceive all runners:

"I used to run 15 marathons every month; I ran a 1000 miles every day; I used to run run run run. But now my body, is all fucked up and I can barely walk.  Why, did I do that to myself."

« Reply #400 on: September 23, 2019, 10:01:46 am »
well maybe not all...but I was going to remind you to log in with your Space account after that

almost three decades ago I was happily a mid distance runner.  But no more, I'm a heavy foot and it just is too much for my old bones to bear

I don't understand a lot of runners.
I would say close to 75% of the people I see running on the trails have a grimace on their face that makes it look like they are truly hating what they are doing
that I don't get
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:04:55 am by pitch perfect hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #401 on: September 23, 2019, 10:04:30 am »
I smoked a bunch of cigarettes and then decided to take up running. Not a fast runner, but I love it and it changed my life.

Chicago Marathon in 3 weeks.

WALKonBack

« Reply #402 on: September 23, 2019, 10:04:56 am »
well maybe not all...but I was going to remind you to log in with your Space account after that

If I was Space, I would make sure to include whatever my kid is doing, within my posting.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #403 on: September 23, 2019, 10:09:41 am »

"I used to run 15 marathons every month; I ran a 1000 miles every day; I used to run run run run. But now my body, is all fucked up and I can barely walk.  Why, did I do that to myself."

Holy shit you know me so well! How did you get inside my head? Are you stalking me?!?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #404 on: September 23, 2019, 10:11:23 am »

If I was Space, I would make sure to include whatever my kid is doing, within my posting.
Rare savage burn from Walkie. I LOLed.
LVMH