Author Topic: This is what happens when you hate.....  (Read 2500 times)

vansmack

This is what happens when you hate.....
« on: October 27, 2004, 07:31:00 pm »
No DC date announced....

Fatboy Slim Takes U.S.

British DJ to launch tour

Fatboy Slim kicks off a North American tour in support of his first album in four years, Palookaville, on November 10th in Toronto. The seven dates will take place in non-music venues or feature extravagant sets.

In Toronto, Slim's show will be staged within a recreation of his "Slash Dot Dash" video, while in Chicago, the Metro nightclub will be transformed into the Palookaville "train station." Slim's New York City gig will be more of a "loft party" (at downtown Drive-In Studios), and his L.A. gig is set for the Natural History Museum.

The Brit DJ/producer has always had misgivings about the typical tour circuit, and this is a clear move to shake things up. "I just don't see myself going out on tour with a group of musicians," the former Housemartins bassist told Rolling Stone. "Sound checks still give me nightmares." Slim even spiced up the U.K. release of his album by re-christening the field of his hometown soccer team, Brighton and Hove Albion, "Palookaville."

The album features collaborations with Blackalicious' Lateef and a cover of Steve Miller Band's "The Joker" with Bootsy Collins. "It's that very recognized art form of taking an oldie and putting it back on the charts again," says Slim. "I thought about doing [the Clash's] 'Should I Stay or Should I Go,' but I also loved 'The Joker.' It was always playing on the jukebox at the pub I used to go to. So I thought, 'How can I make it more funky? Need a vocalist, need a vocalist, need a vocalist. Ah Bootsy!'"

Palookaville's first single, "Wonderful Night," can currently be heard in a not-so-experimental forum: a TV spot, for Olympus cameras. Slim's next live TV performance is set for November 9th on Late Night With Conan O'Brien.

Fatboy Slim tour dates:

11/10: Toronto, Film Studios Toronto
 11/12: Chicago, Metro
 11/13: New York, Drive-In Studios
 12/7: Seattle, The Premier
 12/8: Los Angeles, Natural History Museum
 12/10: San Francisco, Mezzanine
 12/11: Dallas, Forest Theater
27>34

poorlulu

Re: This is what happens when you hate.....
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 07:43:00 pm »
i have to say that the fat boy slim "concert" was one of the worst (and most expensive) shows i've ever had the misfortune of attending..........he really is a twat.

so fingers crossed he won't be gracing any of the venues here anytime soon.............

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 04:42:00 am »
Originally posted by poorlulu:
  i have to say that the fat boy slim "concert" was one of the worst (and most expensive) shows i've ever had the misfortune of attending..........he really is a twat.

HERE HERE!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 07:51:00 am »
nothing to see here move along...
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 10:40:00 pm »
Anybody catch Fatboy Slim with the live band on Conan?

Haha.  That's what happens when you hate!!!
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 11:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Anybody catch Fatboy Slim with the live band on Conan?

Haha.  That's what happens when you hate!!!
sucks. sucks. sucks. what a pisser. can i come to your house on 12/10?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 12:21:00 am »
Originally posted by poorlulu:

so fingers crossed he won't be gracing any of the venues here anytime soon.............
are you talking about the 930 club show a couple years back?

that REALLY sucked. the whole evolution/africa theme. man.
(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 08:18:00 am »
i wonder if norm's dusting off any Beats International or Freak Power classics for this tour...

And if you expected anything other than a DJ set when Fatboy Slim was at the 9:30 club, you didn't belong there in the first place.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 09:47:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

And if you expected anything other than a DJ set when Fatboy Slim was at the 9:30 club, you didn't belong there in the first place.
true.  i liked how he had most of his stuff straight off plates that he just kinda sampled together.   also, for anyone who's met him, he's a fucking riot. although, i believe he may have irked Seth or someone thier that night, but maybe he'll come to Sonar in Baltimore.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 11:12:00 am »
  i wonder if norm's dusting off any Beats International or Freak Power classics for this tour...

nope, my cousin got me tickets for my birthday ... i expected a dj set (not him playing his songs), but i just wasn't a big fan of it ...
(o|o)

redsock

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
He must have read his BigYawn review and decided it wasn't worth coming to DC.

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 11:38:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
or he didnt like the coke he got here last time.

Guiny

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 12:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by redsock:
or he didnt like the coke he got here last time. [/b]
Doesn't he know Baltimore has the best coke in this area?

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 12:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
 Doesn't he know Baltimore has the best coke in this area?
thats where it came from....i mean, probably.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 07:30:00 am »

Stereo MC's are basically a DJ band...that's what I expected.