Author Topic: Sorry Bonaroo and Lollapalooza, Austin City Limits Fest  (Read 5352 times)

Sorry Bonaroo and Lollapalooza, Austin City Limits Fest
« on: June 19, 2007, 11:06:00 am »
Just my opinion.

http://www.austincitylimits.com/schedule/day1.htm

Wilco, Patterson Hood, and My Morning Jacket all at the same time. Man, that would be tough.

bnyced0

Re: Sorry Bonaroo and Lollapalooza, Austin City Limits Fest
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:18:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Just my opinion.

Wilco, Patterson Hood, and My Morning Jacket all at the same time. Man, that would be tough.
In fairness to those hot, smelly, dirty massess that go to TN every year, Bonaroo has the best "scheduling" of ANY US festival BY FAR, not that it's very difficult to be the best of a shitty situation.  

But with the extended headliner set times, DJ's late night when DJ's should be playing, and nearly 18 hours a day of music.  It's unquestionably the best Scheduling.  

With that said, if they're scheduling and providing extended set times for shitty acts perhaps that's not much of a bargain, but if we could combine Coachella's acts, with Bonaroo's scheduling, with Lollapalooza's location we'd have something.

ACL is good, except for the weather and fact they thought it was a good idea to hold it in a shadless area with the bulk of the acts playing before dusk.

But if you're just talking about avoiding conflicts, there's always enough variety (borderline too much) to keep from crossing genre's too much, for which they deserve accolades.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 11:22:00 am »
I don't know nothing about scheduling and location, having never been. But I'll take ACL's acts over Coachella's acts by a mile.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 11:27:00 am »
Wow, too much conflicts.

LCD vs MIA
 QOTSA vs Spoon
 Arctic Monkeys vs Muse
 Arcade Fire vs White Stripes
 Wilco vs MMJ

Whoever did the scheduling must be shot! Glad I'm not going.
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 11:38:00 am »
  Just my opinion.

wouldn't your argument in favor of the superiority of ACL be better served by naming some of the good bands on the bill?

Originally posted by wanderlust aka j. marshmallow:
  Wow, too much conflicts.

LCD vs MIA
 QOTSA vs Spoon
 Arctic Monkeys vs Muse
 Wilco vs MMJ

dunno, those "conflicts" all have clear winners for me.  and on the upside, at least you'll never have the entire festival crowded around one act thus improving your ability to get a decent position, not be crushed, etc.
<sig>

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 11:41:00 am »
  Just my opinion.

Charlie,

Empty your mail box!!!

bnyced0

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 11:46:00 am »
  I don't know nothing about scheduling and location, having never been. But I'll take ACL's acts over Coachella's acts by a mile.
With the exceptions of Dylan, most of the country/blue grass, and obscure local acts...just about everyone on ACL bill in 2007 (and for most of the last 3-4 years) has played Coachella either that year or the preceeding one...so that's not much of mile to travel.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 11:47:00 am »
I forgot to mention Del McCoury is playing at the same time. Four great choices.

Originally posted by sweetcell:

[qb] Just my opinion.

Wilco, Patterson Hood, and My Morning Jacket all at the same time. Man, that would be tough. [/b]
wouldn't your argument in favor of the superiority of ACL be better served by naming some of the good bands on the bill?

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 11:49:00 am »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
   if we could combine Coachella's acts, with Bonaroo's scheduling, with Lollapalooza's location we'd have something.

couldnt have said it better myself.

and also, to rhett...this scheduling is the exact same format as Lollapalooza. 4 main stages, set in pairs playing opposite each other and then a few other stages scattered about.

so if you are talking about "scheduling" as in how bands are booked to play each stage, its no different.  if you are referring to the particular bands playing opposite each other, than i suppose its all just a matter of what style of music you like.....and i dont think you needed to start a whole thread to inform us you like the country driven ACL lineup better than the alt-rock driven Lolla lineup.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 11:51:00 am »
Gotan Project? Joseph Arthur? Steve Earle? Butch Walker? Midlake? Ben Kweller? the Broken West? Devotchka? Lucinda Williams? Regina Spektor? They all played Coachella in the last two years?

With the exceptions of Dylan, most of the country/blue grass, and obscure local acts...just about everyone on ACL bill in 2007 (and for most of the last 3-4 years) has played Coachella either that year or the preceeding one...so that's not much of mile to travel. [/b]

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 11:53:00 am »
Done!

Originally posted by Dr. Anton Phibes:

Just my opinion.

Charlie,

Empty your mail box!!! [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 11:53:00 am »
  Gotan Project? Joseph Arthur? Steve Earle? Butch Walker? Midlake? Ben Kweller? the Broken West? Devotchka? Lucinda Williams? Regina Spektor? They all played Coachella in the last two years?

gotan project played this year.

i saw joesph arthur play at Coachella, perhaps it was back in 03 or 04 though. and i have seen Ben Kweller play at Coachella, and i think Regina Spektor played recently too.

so you're down to 6 or 7 now.

bnyced0

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 12:05:00 pm »
I'll admit some hyperbole, but I did preface by sayin "just about"...and the larger point is that most of the acts have at some point played Coachella if not in the current/preceeding year and aren't so different that your apparent preference for ACL acts warrants a slagging of Coachella as having inferior booking.  

With the exceptions of Dylan, most of the country/blue grass, and obscure local acts...just about everyone on ACL bill in 2007 (and for most of the last 3-4 years) has played Coachella either that year or the preceeding one...so that's not much of mile to travel. [/b]
[/b]

ayates

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust aka j. marshmallow:
  Wow, too much conflicts.

LCD vs MIA
 QOTSA vs Spoon
 Arctic Monkeys vs Muse
 Wilco vs MMJ

Don't like either.
 QOTSA is a clear cut winner.
 I have seen Arctice Monkeys twice so it's Muse.
 I have seen both The White Stripes and Arcade Fire but Arcade Fire is extremely boring.  They were at this year's Coachella anyway.
 Wilco.
 Done.

Celeste

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
 and i dont think you needed to start a whole thread to inform us you like the country driven ACL lineup better than the alt-rock driven Lolla lineup.
at least it's about music and not about racial baiting or hating or shit like that