Author Topic: You can take her out of the ghetto, but you can't take  (Read 9644 times)

You can take her out of the ghetto, but you can't take
« on: October 29, 2004, 09:30:00 am »
So we get off the metro at out suburban metro stop, amongst a sea of people, and this woman starts verbally forcefully insisting to my wife that my wife needs to say "Excuse me" for bumping into the woman.

My wife protests that she didn't see the woman or feel herself bump into anyone amongst the crowded group of people (the woman had a slew of shopping bags hanging off of her, so if my wife bumped her, it was the bags she bumped, not the woman), the woman countered with, "You mean as short and as fat as I am, you couldn't see me, I don't believe that" (she was about 2 feet shorter than my wife)...or something to that effect."

My wife continued to stand her ground, and the woman started threatening loudly, "Don't go there, you don't even want to go there, you scroungy hooka. Don't go there, you scroungy hooka."

And then I intervened and spit on her. Well, not really. I just started yelling at the woman asking her why she wanted to start trouble.

Just thought I'd share my entertaining story of the day.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: You can take her out of the ghetto, but you can't take
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 09:33:00 am »
yawn

Dandy01

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
My favorite part:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
   "... you scroungy hooka. Don't go there, you scroungy hooka."

I thought there might be mention of the recent robberies in that area at first..

hitman

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 10:55:00 am »
This stuff pisses me off.  Manners are something missing in today's society.  

Now if your wife bumped her and she didn't feel it, that is one thing.  The other woman's behavior is inexcusable.  However, the easiest way to get out of it would have been to say "I'm sorry...I didn't realize I bumped you...if I did...sorry about that"  And the situation probably wouldn't have escalated beyond that.

I hate getting bumped into or stepped on at shows, metro, anything like that.  It's bound to happen in crowds like that, but you can say excuse me or the like.

markie

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 10:57:00 am »
Yeah, why not just apologise, what would it have cost?

redsock

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 11:01:00 am »
I thought this was about Nellie McKay. But then again, I guess she really wasn't from the ghetto after all.

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 11:05:00 am »
pretty exciting Rhett.

when's that next marathon?

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 11:11:00 am »
Why would you apologize to somebody if you don't feel that you are in the wrong? Especially if the person is being nasty about it?

My wife said:

"I didn't see you.  nor did I feel myself bump into you.  If I had seen you, of course I would have said 'Excuse me.'

And the woman countered with her smart ass, "As short and as fat as I am, you didn't see me?"

There was actually no way my wife could have bumped into the woman. If she did bump her, it had to have been her leg brushing into the gaggle of shopping bags that were at the woman's side. And unless you walk with your eyes facing the ground, you're not going to notice. And for the woman to think that amongst a crowd of people, that she's not going to have people brush against her gaggle of bags, is ridiculous.

Originally posted by Deepak Chopra:
  Yeah, why not just apologise, what would it have cost?

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 11:14:00 am »
How do we know it wasn't the other woman who bumped my wife?

After all, she seems to be the aggressive person in the story.

Originally posted by hitman:
  This stuff pisses me off.  Manners are something missing in today's society.  

Now if your wife bumped her and she didn't feel it, that is one thing.  The other woman's behavior is inexcusable.  However, the easiest way to get out of it would have been to say "I'm sorry...I didn't realize I bumped you...if I did...sorry about that"  And the situation probably wouldn't have escalated beyond that.

I hate getting bumped into or stepped on at shows, metro, anything like that.  It's bound to happen in crowds like that, but you can say excuse me or the like.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 11:16:00 am »
Worse. She's from England.

Originally posted by redsock:
  I thought this was about Nellie McKay. But then again, I guess she really wasn't from the ghetto after all.

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 11:18:00 am »
I'll do one if you run it with me.

Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  pretty exciting Rhett.

when's that next marathon?

Celeste

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
Fuck this noise.

I'm going to hear Uma Thurman's dad talk about the sin of anger tonight, so hopefully I will learn how to handle these situations better.

Sir HC

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
Real simple response she should have used is:

"You slammed into me, I was being polite and not mentioning it, as now you have brought the topic up, I expect an apology for that and for your verbal abuse, you short fat c*nt"

markie

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 11:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Why would you apologize to somebody if you don't feel that you are in the wrong? Especially if the person is being nasty about it?

Err, to diffuse the situation and stop the other person getting nastier. I have no qualms about saying sorry.

The polite thing to do is say, I am sorry I did not see you there, you porky midget.

sonickteam2

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 11:50:00 am »
i would have apologized for allegedly bumping into someone, just in hopes that they would shut up and leave me alone.

and if they didnt, a cross check to the throat is always a good go-to move.