Author Topic: Manchester Buccaneers.......  (Read 1737 times)

Yank

Manchester Buccaneers.......
« on: May 12, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »
....has a nice sound to it.  Kinda rolls off the tongue.  Hey Mankie, I hear that Man City are looking for some new fans!

Glazer launches United takeover bid

American sports tycoon Malcolm Glazer has launched a formal takeover bid for Manchester United.

Glazer has bought a 28.7 per cent stake in the club from Irish racehorse magnates JP McManus and John Magnier. It makes him the majority shareholder and he will now make a bid for the rest of the club which will cost around £790 million.

Last month, Glazer was told he must launch a bid for the club by May 17 or withdraw. He has now taken a step closer to a takeover by paying McManus and Magnier 300p per share.

United supporters have campaigned fiercely against Glazer because they believe he will borrow the money needed to buy the club then raise ticket prices.

He followed this format when he bought the Tampa Bay Buccaneers American Football team before guiding them to success in the Superbowl. However, fans say that will effectively put United in debt.

Two weeks ago, United's board said it would not recommend the proposal to investors because Glazer's plan appeared "aggressive". It could even put Sir Alex Ferguson's future in doubt as Glazer sacked Tampa's coach and paid millions to lure a replacement.

Protests are expected outside Manchester United's Old Trafford ground later and supporters' groups hope they can still block his takeover plans.

If Glazer secures more than 75 per cent of shares, he can take Manchester United private and de-list it from the London Stock Exchange.

Gaining the support of investors owning more than 90 per cent of the club would allow him to make a compulsory purchase and vacuum up the remaining shares.

But this could prove difficult as the supporters own 18 per cent of Manchester United and are unlikely to be willing to sell up.

vansmack

Re: Manchester Buccaneers.......
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 12:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mr Dodgy Slapper:
   It could even put Sir Alex Ferguson's future in doubt as Glazer sacked Tampa's coach and paid millions to lure a replacement.
I love it when reporters have no idea what they're talking about.  This is like reading American reporters covering European football.  

Yes, he fired Dungy, and it was hailed by most, because Dungy never won the big game (BTW, he still hasn't won the big game).  And Chuckie was a great hire because he does win big games.

Fergie on the other hand, well he knows how to win and his job is safe on a performance level.  Personalities?  Well that's a whole different story.

This deal from Glazer's perspective is all about branding United for the US market - the largest (virtually) untapped soccer market in the world.  That could make a lot of money for Malcolm Glazer.  Is it good for the team?  I still have many doubts about that.
27>34

Got Haggis?

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 01:18:00 pm »
when is beckham coming to dc united?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 01:21:00 pm »
as a FANATIC bucs fan (http://pewterpower.blogspot.com), this pisses me off ... malcolm and his freakish sons have been ignoring the Bucs for the last year or so as they've been flirting with ManU

i hope he sells the Bucs to an owner who actually cares about his team.
(o|o)