Author Topic: Roll Call: Panda Bear  (Read 4552 times)

nkotb

Roll Call: Panda Bear
« on: June 21, 2007, 08:09:00 am »
Anyone catching this show at the Ottobar?  It's going to be an intense night.  If everything lines up properly (and the Ottobar booker isn't full of shit), I should be able to catch Wilco and Panda Bear and only miss out on a few of Wilco's songs.

SalParadise

Re: Roll Call: Panda Bear
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:19:00 am »
i'm seeing the show here in ny on saturday. post a mini-review if you can..

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 08:38:00 am »
Hope it doesn't turn out to be Panda Bore!
(_|_)

meeper_99

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 10:22:00 am »
i was seriously considering it but with two openers i'm worried the whole thing will just go too late

nkotb

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 10:27:00 am »
Hmmm...with the show starting at 10 (which practically means 10:30 in Ottobar time), I may not even have to leave Wilco early!

Originally posted by meeper_99:
  i was seriously considering it but with two openers i'm worried the whole thing will just go too late

amnesiac

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »
I'll be there. Anyone know what his live show's like? Kinda worried he'll just be singing and pushing buttons...

nkotb

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »
Photos by Pitchfork

Originally posted by amnesiac:
  I'll be there. Anyone know what his live show's like? Kinda worried he'll just be singing and pushing buttons...

nkotb

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 10:10:00 am »
...As I mentioned in the Wilco thread, I stayed until the very last note of the very last encore, so I completely expected to miss some of Panda Bear's set.  I had hope that things would run long at the Ottobar, but even a call on my drive up to Merriweather still placed PB on stage at 11.  Thankfully, traffic was non-existent coming out of Columbia, so I made great time to the club; it took me all of 20 minutes to make it from the Mall's parking lot to being in the door.  And ib an amazing stroke of grace, Panda Bear started literally the second that I finished my bathroom trip and Natty Boh purchase.  

It's a hard thing to write up this show after Wilco; they couldn't have been more different.  While Wilco was quite clearly a rock show, Panda Bear was more of an artistic statement.  I think, without having first seen the photos from Pitchfork, I wouldn't been beyond bummed.  It was just him, standing almost perfectly still behind an array of buttons and knobs, while a video project showed a random collection of images as a backdrop.  With the understanding of what I was getting, though, it really made for a fairly inspiring performance.

The set was essentially one long composition, as Panda floated in and out of sound collages and tracks from Person Pitch.  It reminded me a bit of a live DJ remix at times; as the songs progressed, more and more elements from their recorded versions drifted in until the song was recognizable.  And it was surprisingly danceable, although the packed house made anything more than bobbing in place impossible.  

PB's voice was in great shape (I feel like I should give some credit to the only organic sounds I heard), and the videos worked well.  Watching footage of people having sex on a roller coaster followed by a shark savagely attacking chum in the ocean during "Comfy in Nautica" was hilarious: "I'll try to remember always just to have a good time."

After about an hour with no stop, he politely thanked the crowd and left the stage.  The performance definitely wasn't mind-blowing by any means.  Like I said, it was more of an artistic performance than a rock show.  And it certain was pretty good...definitely not great.  But because of the rarity of seeing this live, it was definitely worth the $10 and headache of staying out that late.  

Oh, and (I think) I noticed Deacon and Geologist in the crowd, which was nice to see them supporting one of their own.

BookerT

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 10:42:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:
    With the understanding of what I was getting, though, it really made for a fairly inspiring performance.

yeah, this is the crucial part. i'm not usually one for instrument-free performances, but i think last night was about as good as it gets for that type of thing. people having sex on a rollercoaster? damn, i should've kept my eyes open more! but that was part of why it was good, i just stood there with my eyes closed for minutes at a time and let it all seep into my brain. his voice really was fantastic, too. and he played for the perfect amount of time, just about an hour straight.

and he was never going to go on at 11, the signs in the club all said 10, 1045, 1140 for set times and hot damn if they didn't stick to that. most prompt ottobar show ever! also worth noting is that at the ottobar there is a free parking lot directly behind the club and yuenglings cost $3. just sayin'...

nkotb

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 10:49:00 am »
I'm with you on the parking and the beer.  I managed to get a spot right behind the pay lot in the alley.  And my two beers there cost less (with generous tip) than one beer at Merriweather (with less generous tip).

I actually enjoyed the eyes-closed moments too.  Something about the sound washing over the audience last night was really hypnotic.  I couldn't help thinking, though, that it would've been maybe the best AND worst show to see on drugs.  

As for the times, I called the Ottobar when I pulled into Merriweather's parking lot, and the guy I spoke to told me 11.  I'm glad I didn't rush out of there!

Originally posted by BookerT:
 yeah, this is the crucial part. i'm not usually one for instrument-free performances, but i think last night was about as good as it gets for that type of thing. people having sex on a rollercoaster? damn, i should've kept my eyes open more! but that was part of why it was good, i just stood there with my eyes closed for minutes at a time and let it all seep into my brain. his voice really was fantastic, too. and he played for the perfect amount of time, just about an hour straight.

and he was never going to go on at 11, the signs in the club all said 10, 1045, 1140 for set times and hot damn if they didn't stick to that. most prompt ottobar show ever! also worth noting is that at the ottobar there is a free parking lot directly behind the club and yuenglings cost $3. just sayin'...

SalParadise

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 11:21:00 am »
    I couldn't help thinking, though, that it would've been maybe the best AND worst show to see on drugs.  

[/QB][/QUOTE]

duly noted...

thanks for the reviews, guys. definitely looking fwd to tomorrow.

azaghal1981

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 11:27:00 am »
His vocal range is really amazing. This show easily met and topped my expectations; I thoroughly enjoyed hearing him slowly build each track, disassemble it then blend it into the next one. His deconstruction of the songs with multiple parts and sandwiching other songs within them was flawless as well. IMO, those samplers he was using are just as much musical instruments as your conventional ones (drums, guitar, etc.).
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 11:36:00 am »
I wouldn't disagree with that statement.  I was just trying to point out that anyone expecting LIVE instruments would've been let down.  

Often times I'm disappointed when bands fall back on pre-recorded tracks to mimic the difficult-to-arrange sections of live songs or to fill the space left behind by studio tricks.  But with someone actually manipulating the sounds on the fly to create (and, dare I say it, jam) and re-imagine their songs, it's definitely just as valid.

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
 IMO, those samplers he was using are just as much musical instruments as your conventional ones (drums, guitar, etc.).

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »
  I wouldn't disagree with that statement.  I was just trying to point out that anyone expecting LIVE instruments would've been let down.  

Often times I'm disappointed when bands fall back on pre-recorded tracks to mimic the difficult-to-arrange sections of live songs or to fill the space left behind by studio tricks.
what has to be taken into consideration is how the music was originally composed and recorded.  i'm not very familiar with PB's studio methodology, but i'm willing to bet he does a lot of his writing on the computer with synths and samplers.  so a live show of him pressing buttons, clicking a mouse and playing a keyboard or three would be an accurate re-creation/representation.  admittedly, it doesn't make for much a visual impression.  good for him for making up for this fact with projections.

an eternal debate is "what is 'live'?", when referring to a live set by an electronica producer.  the music wasn't written "live", therefore one's expectation of the performance has to be adjusted... it was never meant to be played live.  recents advances in software, most notably ableton's Live, have closed this gap a little (some might say it hasn't so much closed it as opened up whole new territory, live remixing).  the studio IS an instrument, and "studio tricks" can be as valid as any "stage trick".
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »
Here's a great/very informative interview with him which contains a nice detailed discussion re: his writing/recording techniques and how he reproduces his studio stuff live. And that's just one of many topics he discusses:

http://www.shoutmouth.com/index.php/news/16764
احمد