Author Topic: The Passion of the Christ: please help me  (Read 22218 times)

eltee

Re: The Passion of the Christ: please help me
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 06:44:00 pm »
I'm trying to recall (there seem to be a couple "Aw, come on" moments). I think it was when they turned him over on the cross. The scene took forever (and to turn him back over). It's reported to have happened but man, sheesh, long scene.  Also, the sound when they put in the "crown" on his head. Again, reported to have happened...and I'm not squemish.
 I think this movie lost me after he was whipped.
 Anyone think the two female leads were miscast? I think the woman who played Mary Magdalene should have played Mary.

hitman

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 07:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  what i find so interesting is the same people who were buying tickets in droves, are more than likely the same people who complain about the sex and violence in hollywood.
But you see this is different.  This is portraying JC.  These end up being the same people that complain about sex when even JC had Mary Magdalene.

Bags

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 07:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by hitman:
 ...when even JC had Mary Magdalene.
WHAT?  You're crazy...you're buying in to that DH Lawrence/Martin Scorsese lunacy.

helicon1

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 08:05:00 pm »
Since the movie came out, it surprises me how many people can offer an opinion about the movie, even without seeing it.

I did see the movie and thought the violence was gruesome. At the same time, I felt the movie was tastefully done. No previews, no opening credits, Aramaic very well done, the cinematography and scenery was stunning, and the acting was great.

The movie felt like an accurate interpretation and I  did not feel as if it had anti-semetic subtexts. But that's just me.

BLACKSTORM

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005, 08:52:00 pm »
I'll start by answering your first 3 question. I believe it was a good movie. Not because of the violence and the blood, but for the reason it actually gives the viewer some sort of interpertation of what happened to Christ. People read about it in the Bible, but never see it acted out in front of them to understand the magnitude of what actually happened.

I don't think the movie was anti-semitic, but I do believe that it protrayed the Romans worse than the Jews. Was it just me or was King Herrad protrayed as a little too gay. No disrespect to anyone, just a feeling I took from it.

The beating Christ took may have been over the top, but that was the Mr. Gibson's decision to show that this was Christ not you and me but Christ.

I'm no Jesus freak, but it was a good movie. Would I watch it again, probably not.

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 09:54:00 pm »
I haven't yet been fotunate enough to see it.  I think I'll wait for the sequel.
 -----

Jerry Bruckheimer presents...
 A John Woo film...

Jesus has risen, and he's pissed! It's payback time baby.

Antonio Banderas is Jesus in:

The Passion of The Christ II: Dead Reckoning

Also starring Martin Lawrence.
 This film is not yet rated.

lionforce5

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 10:07:00 pm »
I'm reminded of south park's "Passion of the Jew":

[/QB]Stan:
 That movie sucked ass. Give us back our eighteen dollars.

Film Clerk:
 I can't refund your money. You sat through the whole movie.

Stan:
 That wasn't a movie, that was a snuff film!

Kenny:
 (Yeah!)

Stan:
 You can't charge people to watch a guy get tortured for two hours!

Film Clerk:
 That guy happened to be Jesus, and he went through all that to pay for YOUR SINS!

Stan:
 We go to church to learn that stuff! We go to movies to be entertained! We weren't entertained, and we want our money back!

Film Clerk:
 I'm now allowed to give you your money back after you sat through the whole movie! You'd have to take your complaint up with the film's producers.

Stan:
 W-what? Mel Gibson? You're saying we have to get our money back from Mel Gibson?

Film Clerk:
 Yeah. I'd like to see you try.

Stan:
 Oh, we will! This is America! And in America, if something sucks, you're supposed to be able to get your money back! Come on, Kenny!
[/QB]

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2005, 10:38:00 am »
did anyone really think a Mel Gibson movie was going to be good anyway?

jardison

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2005, 10:59:00 am »
The popcorn was good!

ratioci nation

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2005, 11:14:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
that movie with him and helen hunt where he could hear what woman were thinking was awesome and you know it!

sonickteam2

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2005, 11:17:00 am »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:
 that movie with him and helen hunt where he could hear what woman were thinking was awesome and you know it!
Lethal Weapon?   ;)

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2005, 11:25:00 am »
I think my mom liked that one. It may have even replaced Patch Adams as her fave film

Originally posted by ratioci nation:

Originally posted by sonickteam2:
that movie with him and helen hunt where he could hear what woman were thinking was awesome and you know it! [/b]

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2005, 12:18:00 pm »
How can you say it's "factual" when the whole bible crap is fiction anyway? I mean, answer me this.....if there's a Jesus and God and all that stuff, why the hell was there a tsunami on boxing/stephens day? Or a Holocaust, or an Armenian earthquake or a George Bush etc. etc.

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Forumie Partie Markie:Did anyone think that the beatings were way over the top and that no-one would survive such punishment?
He's jesus dude, he has magic powers...

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2005, 12:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by O'Mankie:
  How can you say it's "factual" when the whole bible crap is fiction anyway?
There are more secular sources backing up that there really was a person named Jesus then there is confirming there was someone named Oliver Cromwell.