Author Topic: The Zutons  (Read 3878 times)

vansmack

The Zutons
« on: January 31, 2005, 08:12:00 pm »
Blanket request, but will somebody who pays attention tomorrow night provide a quick review of the Zutons performance?

They're headlining out here next week and I haven't committed to going, although I can't get "Pressure Point" out of my head.  And I could watch Abi play the sax all night.
27>34

Arthwys

Re: The Zutons
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 08:57:00 pm »
The only adjective I can think of to describe Abi playing sax.....bouncy!  :D
Emrys

lily1

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 10:14:00 pm »
i wouldn't say bouncy, i would say obnoxious.

don't waste your money smackie.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 12:41:00 am »
Pressure Point is an annoying song, but they have some other songs that sound like 60's era Kinks that are quite nice.

lionforce5

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 01:16:00 am »
I think I saw them when they opened for Muse.  I was thoroughly unimpressed with their music.  But I don't really know your taste that well.  I personally would pass.

MaLo

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 08:26:00 am »
i saw them open for muse, i thought they were fun, but sort of out of place opening for Muse.

the girl that plays saxophone is sort of unecessary.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 09:58:00 am »
I agree. Rarely is the saxaphone anything other than annoying in a band. Take out the sax, and I'd like them quite a bit more.

Originally posted by MaLo:
  i saw them open for muse, i thought they were fun, but sort of out of place opening for Muse.

the girl that plays saxophone is sort of unecessary.

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 10:34:00 am »
i agree, saw them twice open for Muse and i thought the Sax player was obnoxious, and she's not even good looking!  well, i dont think so anyway.

if its like $10 or less...go ahead and go...they're no worse or better than the Bravery.

K8teebug

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 10:39:00 am »
I saw them open for Muse last year and found their music to be catchy at first.  But, that vanished after 2 songs.  I don't understand the hype about this band.  Just more of the same to me.

K8teebug

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 10:40:00 am »
I saw them open for Muse last year and found their music to be catchy at first.  But, that vanished after 2 songs.  I don't understand the hype about this band.  Just more of the same to me.

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 02:12:00 pm »
Thanks for the heads up from those that have seen them live.

Let me know how tonight's show go's (i.e., if the new stuff sounds any better).

Thanks in advance.
27>34

Bartelby

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 02:11:00 am »
Smackie:  You missed an excellent show.  With all due respect  to the other board members who sank them without attending, I'll say this:  They were great! The sax was NOT invasive, but used as a peripherally interesting "filler".  Maybe their sound balance was better tonight than at earlier shows.  These guys (and beautiful woman, Abi) played some blue-eyed soul, a lot of rock, some jazz, and a fascinating arabic-influenced song, which had all us chicks in the back attempting belly-dancing. I love their unique sound, but, unfortunately, being a new fan, I can't give you their set list.

I also loved Redwall, the opener.  I think they are also really well-rounded musically,  which is surprising since they are YOUNG! (and their vocals/harmonies are great) They did a few pieces that were sophisticated and jazzy, which really impressed me.  They're from Chicago, and I suspect cut some elementary school classes to sneak into local jazz clubs.  I'm not sure I can find any group to compare them to, but I think we'll be hearing more about/from them.

I'll leave the Keane review to their loyal fans:  I'm not one.  But one thing I will say:  it was a major "couples" night, and most of those couples were making out like crazy  - wonder if there are major increases in birthrates 9 months after local Keane shows.   ;)

MaLo

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 09:24:00 am »
Originally posted by Suki:

But one thing I will say:  it was a major "couples" night, and most of those couples were making out like crazy  - wonder if there are major increases in birthrates 9 months after local Keane shows.    ;)  
Bleck, i noticed that too.  The couple in front of us was rather disgusting...and annoying with their little cell phone cameras..

Keane didn't do much for me.  I probably wouldn't go see them again.  I did like the Zutons...they put on a fun show that had me dancing.

Arthwys

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 09:41:00 am »
I'll be at the Keane/Zutons/Redwalls concert in Philly friday night and give a report on how that went.
Emrys

vansmack

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 01:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Suki:
  Smackie:  which had all us chicks in the back attempting belly-dancing.  
You had me here.  

I'm in.  And thank you.
27>34