Author Topic: Muse Roll Call  (Read 23550 times)

Dandy01

Re: Muse Roll Call
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2004, 11:16:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
     also saw redsock, chillin upstairs and dandy, i was going to find you after the show but i could not find you!
it was nice meeting you, for all of 2 minutes  :D   man, i was looking through the crowd for you and your hat throughout the show with no luck!  the phone thing didn't help either, you couldn't hear a thing, next thing I know, you were gone!  My friend and I stood outside the club for a while afterwards.. I'm so tired right now..  I can't say I enjoyed Muse from beginning to end but the crowd's energy rocked, like the band.  They seem all over the place sometimes with slow ballads, heavy rockers and classical passages.  I still love Absolution though.

redsock

« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
The Zutons were not all that IMHO, but clovette liked them. Muse were good, really really loud, but in a good way. You could not hear the bass at all from the balcony, but considering the Zutons bass nearly made my lung collapse, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I was impresed with the crowd, and it is hard for me to understand why they have never played the Cat or 930 before, if they got this sort of audience. Granted, many were new fans who only knew stuff off the new album, but still...

And the Zutons just didn't match up. Not a good selction of an opening band. Their 70's style is a long way from Muse.

bearman🐻

« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
Muse can play, they sounded pretty good, but overall I just thought it was an OK show. I don't know why it didn't move me more, but I guess it's a matter of personal taste. It won't be in my top 10 of the year though. It was cool to hear "This Wicked Tongue" by PJ Harvey before they went on.

SalParadise

« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2004, 11:18:00 am »
good show, but i wasn't as moved by them as when i saw them at coachella or curiosa.

maybe they were made to play big outdoor festivals?

i didn't like how the sound was mixed either (the drummer might as well have tossed aside the bass drum and played standing up. and the bass guitar wasn't loud enough).

speaking of PCU, the bass player reminded me of jeremy pivens.

Dandy01

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2004, 11:22:00 am »
Originally posted by lily1:
  dandy, did you have on a white long sleeve t shirt and with another woman who was a few inches taller than you with brown hair?

i just haven't seen you in nearly a year so i wasn't sure if it was definitely you or not.
i was with another woman who was taller than me but didn't have long sleeves, although it was a white t-shirt, that was prolly me you saw, sorry we missed each other..

Dandy01

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
Originally posted by j_lee:

Oh and one guy wearing an Absolution shirt...always reminds me of PCU ("You're wearing the shirt of the band that you're going to see?  No...Don't be that guy.")

I thought the exact same thing when I saw two people next to each other wearing different Muse shirts on the balcony!!

I didn't think the Zutons were a terribly bad choice as opener; I'm wondering who people would've picked instead?

sonickteam2

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2004, 11:33:00 am »
Originally posted by Dandy01:

[qb]  My friend and I stood outside the club for a while afterwards..[/b]
i had to wait for the crowd to clear to get my coats from the coat check. so i was one of the last ones to leave.

usually i am more wandering about and social at shows, but sometimes i just have to go up front and push and shove.   :)

Dandy01

« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2004, 12:01:00 pm »
 i had to wait for the crowd to clear to get my coats from the coat check. so i was one of the last ones to leave.

usually i am more wandering about and social at shows, but sometimes i just have to go up front and push and shove.    :)  [/QB]
we did the same, by the time we came out of the bathroom, the massive crowd had quickly cleared.  

This was the type of crowd to do that in!

malkmess

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2004, 01:20:00 pm »
i thought the show was great, opening with "hysteria" and then straight on into "new born"... amazing. i was up in the vip balcony in front of the bar dancing like crazy, the zutons dedicated their last song to us. maybe i shouldn't drink so much at concerts.. oh well. i really enjoyed both bands. i'd never watched a show from the balcony before, it was great seeing the crowd jumping around in sync and all the fist pumps. good stuff. can't wait for interpol tonight.

dyssocial

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2004, 02:26:00 pm »
I was about two people from the barrier, dead center. Amazing show. I don't care if the sound wasn't as crisp as it was anywhere else, it was wonderful to see them in a small venue setting. And I disagree about stage presence; I don't think that a band has to banter with the crowd in order to have it. You can see it just in the way they move and the way the crowd reacts, and I think Bellamy definitely has stage prescence, for a midget.

Would've liked a little more room to jump around, but that's the price you pay for being close. No complaints about the crowd's energy or anything like that, I had a great fucking time. The last time I saw them was at Curiosa, and we got to their set as they were starting (we stayed to see Interpol, rather than getting a place close by), so it made my week (year?) to be this close this concert.

Wasn't too terribly impressed with the Zutons, but I coveted the lead's blazer, and I rather liked the last song they played.

xcanuck

« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2004, 03:30:00 pm »
I saw the show and it was really quite different from the time I saw them at Wembley. The biggest difference is that they did relatively fewer songs with keyboards.

I felt that the keyboard oriented songs came off as overly pretentious and grandiose. That stuff just pissed me off. I like the setlist from last night alot more. They should stick to being a guitar band.

Anyone notice the prerecorded keyboard tracks that were used throughout the night? How come that is acceptable on this board but prerecorded vocals aren't?

Random Citizen

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2004, 03:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  Anyone notice the prerecorded keyboard tracks that were used throughout the night? How come that is acceptable on this board but prerecorded vocals aren't?
I must have missed the thread where everyone on the board gave their acceptance of using pre-recorded items during a live show.

Anyhoo, I believe there is quite a difference between someone opting to use a keyboard loop while playing guitar (or another instrument) live and a person who lip synchs à la Ms. Ashlee.

sonickteam2

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2004, 03:54:00 pm »
yes.  I agree.  i believe there are countless bands who use guitar/keyboard or even drum loops in their live shows nowadays.

some bands prefer to add touring musicians to provide the extra instrument they may have recorded in the studio, others decide to loop something, so the band can play, as is, on stage.

doesn't make much of a difference to me really.

hip hop artists do this all the time, rapping to thier records.

I presume if Muse or anyone else had prerecorded thier lead guitar part, or were faking the guitar solo, it may come off as super lame.

the difference being, no one is "faking" to play the part you are hearing but not seeing played.

redsock

« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2004, 04:13:00 pm »
Actually, there was a guy off stage on a korg, who i presume was doing the extra sounds. Does it count if it was live, but not on the stage?

Random Citizen

« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2004, 04:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Actually, there was a guy off stage on a korg, who i presume was doing the extra sounds. Does it count if it was live, but not on the stage?
Didn't you learn, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"?  ;)