Author Topic: Which show was the biggest disapointment.  (Read 16049 times)

ruthann

Re: Which show was the biggest disapointment.
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2003, 01:48:00 pm »
Jon Doe (or is it John?) at Graffiti in Pittsburgh, 1990, I think. Got free tickets from WRCT (was a DJ then). Woman at the ticket counter was a bitch about me getting in free. The show was awful. Boring, dull, terrible lyrics. I expected a hell of a lot more.

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2003, 01:56:00 pm »
Funny thing, Wilco has completely recovered from the mediocrity of the Mermaid Avenue Sessions, and gone on to produce some great music.

Billy Bragg never seemed to recover, continuing on in medocrity...sort of like both Jay Farrar and Jay Bennett in their post-Jeff Tweedy collaborations. But Bragg arguably had started to decline with his third album, well before his work with Wilco.

Originally posted by mankie:
  Without a doubt.

Billy Bragg with Wilco...total steaming, smelly feces with tape worms in it!

eros

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2003, 02:49:00 pm »
Went to a "blind date" show at the club in 1997, where the beer company pays some huge act to play at a small club.  These shows in other cities were Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Beck, Bowie, etc...

The date of the show coincided with the beginning of a Rolling Stones tour and the rumor was they were in town.

So we wait through some boring opener and the jackass DJ from DC 101 comes out and says "are you ready DC!!! Our band tonight is huge!  You know all their songs, so get ready to sing along!!  Give it up for...SEVEN MARY THREE!"

We left after 2 songs.  One of the biggest disappointments of my life, concert or otherwise.

To this day I still believe that there was a "real" band that backed out at the last second and 7 mary 3 was the backup.  Any 930 staph care to give the real story behind this?
ʎɐʍou

PR_GMR

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2003, 02:59:00 pm »
So we wait through some boring opener and the jackass DJ from DC 101 comes out and says "are you ready DC!!! Our band tonight is huge! You know all their songs, so get ready to sing along!! Give it up for...SEVEN MARY THREE!"

We left after 2 songs. One of the biggest disappointments of my life, concert or otherwise.
LMAO! I would have walked out too.   :cool:

SPARX

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2003, 07:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
 [Saw excellent shows by The Furs(forever now tour) and The Cure(the Top tour) there before it shut down.PIL was a good show there as well. [/qb]
So when did PiL go on?  That is my worst show as I didn't get to see the damn thing.  [/QB][/QUOTE]                                                                                             Levene had left by then but it was still worth the time and effort to attend(still have the tour shirt).As for when they went on,way to long ago for that memory to show up.

flawd101

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2003, 08:21:00 pm »
for me it was carbon leaf at Herndon festival in 2002.  i live close by so i went. just imagine a more immature me.....i didnt think they sucked to bad till i was standing there 4 songs in wanting to go try and win another spider man doll. i used to be afraid of rides...a year ago... (i wasted to much money on that and ended up with only 2 little dolls, spiderman and the greengoblin...)

carbon leaf suck but that was sadly my first time seeing a real band live.

walkman

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2003, 08:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by eros:
  Went to a "blind date" show at the club in 1997, where the beer company pays some huge act to play at a small club.  These shows in other cities were Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Beck, Bowie, etc...

The date of the show coincided with the beginning of a Rolling Stones tour and the rumor was they were in town.

So we wait through some boring opener and the jackass DJ from DC 101 comes out and says "are you ready DC!!! Our band tonight is huge!  You know all their songs, so get ready to sing along!!  Give it up for...SEVEN MARY THREE!"

We left after 2 songs.  One of the biggest disappointments of my life, concert or otherwise.

To this day I still believe that there was a "real" band that backed out at the last second and 7 mary 3 was the backup.  Any 930 staph care to give the real story behind this?
Funny...I was trying to imagine, as I read your post, who the disappointing secret band might have been...Seven Mary Three is so much worse than anything my twisted mind could come up with.

Urbansprite

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2003, 10:16:00 pm »
the prince after show at the club, something like 5 summers ago.  he showed up after keeping the crowd waiting for hours, jammed with his band, didn't play a discernable song, and left.  wanker.  he's so tiny, couldn't even tell if he had on buttless pants ...

dtqjr

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2003, 01:23:00 am »
Originally posted by eros:
I feel bad for laughing at your misfortune but that's horribly funny.  What a disappointment.

sonickteam2

« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2003, 09:17:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Funny thing, Wilco has completely recovered from the mediocrity of the Mermaid Avenue Sessions, and gone on to produce some great music.

Billy Bragg never seemed to recover, continuing on in medocrity...sort of like both Jay Farrar and Jay Bennett in their post-Jeff Tweedy collaborations. But Bragg arguably had started to decline with his third album, well before his work with Wilco.

Originally posted by mankie:
  Without a doubt.

Billy Bragg with Wilco...total steaming, smelly feces with tape worms in it!
[/b]
I cant think of anything more mediocre than Wilco.

ratioci nation

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2003, 10:10:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
our lady peace

sonickteam2

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2003, 10:20:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:

our lady peace [/b]
wrong, try again. (hint, theyre from Oxford, go ahead and say it)

sonickteam2

« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2003, 10:23:00 am »

our lady peace [/b]
guided by voices.

ratioci nation

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2003, 10:29:00 am »
  guided by voices.
post ok computer radiohead

sonickteam2

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2003, 10:33:00 am »

guided by voices.
post ok computer radiohead [/b]
i think the opposite.

PRE-OK Computer Radiohead. not that i dont love the first 2 discs, though.