Author Topic: So why didn't y'all go to see Robyn Hitchcock last nig  (Read 2834 times)

Sir HC

So why didn't y'all go to see Robyn Hitchcock last nig
« on: October 29, 2003, 04:55:00 pm »
This includes you twangirl.  He did a great solo show at Fletchers last night.  Opener, so-so but Robyn did a great set going back to his earliest solo works.  He was very animated, the sound was great, his playing excellent.  Every time I see him, his playing amazes me.  You should have been there if you were not at Belle and Seb.

markie

Re: So why didn't y'all go to see Robyn Hitchcock last nig
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 04:57:00 pm »
Well I went to two concerts last night? How many did you go to?

Sir HC

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 05:06:00 pm »
One, but I think I have a record of 6 or 7 in a weekend...

markie

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 05:31:00 pm »
Well the decemberists and Arlo were both good last night......

I dont think I have been to multiple music shows on one day before. My ears are achey enough today.

I have been to 6 or 7 commedy shows in a day before though.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 05:40:00 pm »
my record is 3 shows in 3 cities (cleveland, dc, pittsburgh) in 4 days.
o/\o

Sir HC

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 05:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  my record is 3 shows in 3 cities (cleveland, dc, pittsburgh) in 4 days.
3 shows 3 countries 3 days here.  Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 06:01:00 pm »
i was seeing eddie izzard another witty englishmen in action... i dig robyn and wish i could have been there too... did he have anything to say regarding w.
T.Rex

twangirl

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 08:25:00 pm »
You know I would have been there, Sir HC, but when the show was confirmed I already had a plane ticket to see 16 Horsepower in Denver. And they were amazing, played a bunch of old songs they haven't played in a while. Since they never tour the U.S., the only way to see 'em to is to go to Denver. And it was well worth it, as much as I hated missing Robyn.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 10:52:00 pm »
I love Robyn, and I will send out vibes for a DC show soon, but there was hell all going on here in DC last night.  I should have done the markie rounds, but only made it to Decemberists.  Always feast or famine, my friends....

lily1

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 11:47:00 pm »
perhaps he should have popped down to dc and done a date here tonight? i would have loved to see him.

Sir HC

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 10:36:00 am »
So to see 16 HP you have to go to Denver?  Cool, I will be there in January, how do you find out when they are playing?

twangirl

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 06:34:00 pm »
16 Hp hardly ever plays, even in Denver. The show I saw Tuesday was their only scheduled U.S. date this year. Check with Eddie, if they're playing while you're in Denver he'll know about it.

FYI lily1, Robyn wanted to do a DC date but by the time he came up with the dates everywhere was already booked. It was kind of a last minute thing. Seth was trying to get him on the bill with Eric Idle, which would have been fun, but Eric didn't want an opening act.

lily1

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 08:46:00 pm »
oh that would have been excellent!

Originally posted by twangirl:
 FYI lily1, Robyn wanted to do a DC date but by the time he came up with the dates everywhere was already booked. It was kind of a last minute thing. Seth was trying to get him on the bill with Eric Idle, which would have been fun, but Eric didn't want an opening act.

Sir HC

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2003, 11:02:00 am »
Interesting that they hardly ever play out.  So I guess they are not looking to be bigger and do it for the love of music and not the big payoff in the end?  Or are they just reclusive, almost XTC like?

Thanks for bringing another great show to Fletchers though, much better than last year when I saw him in NYC (more classics this time).

twangirl

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 02:18:00 pm »
16 Hp plays regularly in Europe, where they can make money. The show we saw was a warmup for a 3-week European tour, their second this year. They lose money when touring the U.S. and since they all have families to support, they do have to think of the economic side. But I don't think that means their "love of music" is any less.