Author Topic: Electric Six at the Blackcat  (Read 4388 times)

Barcelona

Electric Six at the Blackcat
« on: October 29, 2003, 06:24:00 pm »
The other day I was at Kramerbooks and the music they were playing caught my attention. They were playing Electic Six, I got the cd and so far it is pretty good.

Electric Six is playing tonight at the Blackcat, I am not in town so I won't be able to make it to the show, but it might be interesting to hear how it was.

I had never heard of them before. Don't know anything about them except for their latest cd.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Electric Six at the Blackcat
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 06:41:00 pm »
don't do it... i saw the electric six when they were still the wildbunch and was totally unimpressed.  the only redeeming thing about them these days is that lead guitarist from brendson benson's wellfed boys is with them now.

electric 6 are the bottom of the barrel with regards to being friends of jack white.  and are destined to on every english compliation of 00's tracks because of their "novelity " hits.
T.Rex

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 06:42:00 pm »
I've seen them before, and they were surprisingly good. But that was before half the band got canned. So I will be interested to see how they are now. I'm going to the show tonight, so I will let you know.

calecp01

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 07:11:00 pm »
I'm going for the absurd music stylings of Junior Senior, my only exposure to Electric 6 was... god this is so embarrassing... listening to the Charlie's Angels Full Throttle McG directors commentary when he pointed out his use of an Electric 6 song during a beach scene. The 15 seconds I heard sounded pretty good. Let us never speak of this again...

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 07:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by cale:
  McG
That dude's a genius as far as I'm concerned.
27>34

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 09:31:00 am »
Well, I found Electric 6 disappointing. Like any novelty act, it's really only funny the first time. There were moments of entertainment, but they couldn't live up to Junior Senior -who were really fun. I was surprised at the dancing crowd and the adoration of JS. I didn't know they had so many fans. Anyway, it was a fun frivolous night.
 Oh but the first band was very poor. Bad vocals and boring tunes.

calecp01

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 09:58:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  Well, I found Electric 6 disappointing. Like any novelty act, it's really only funny the first time. There were moments of entertainment, but they couldn't live up to Junior Senior -who were really fun. I was surprised at the dancing crowd and the adoration of JS. I didn't know they had so many fans. Anyway, it was a fun frivolous night.
 Oh but the first band was very poor. Bad vocals and boring tunes.
Yeah, like where did these Junior Senior fans come from, they knew all the words and everything! I was being thrown around by all these kids with x's on their hands. My buddies and I went in expecting a 5 and we got a 9 - great show. And yes, that first opener was horrible, and Electric 6 was pretty bad as well...

suckapunch

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 10:21:00 am »
Junior Senior was incredible.  They've got a huge fan base in the Midwest, so I wasn't surprised by all the kids singing along.  (I was one of the ones without an X).  Poor Junior was sick, but still precious as hell.  Electric 6 was funny, but I wouldn't see them again.

Dandy01

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 11:06:00 am »
I was also surprised at the large turnout for the show - it seemed like it thinned out a bit after Junior Senior's set.  And 'precious' is very fitting for Junior - funny he's supposed to be the straight one though, being somewhat effeminate looking.  He sort of reminded of me of a cuter version of David Cassidy..  Fun show, good crowd participation, dancing, singing, entertainment, pretty cool for a weeknight.  As for Electric Six, eh.  Even "Gay Bar" I think sounds better on disc.  I think the lead singer has an interesting voice but their sound needs much tightening.

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 11:29:00 am »
thank you all for helping with my decision on whether to see this show tonight at the Ottobar.

I dont really like Junior Senior.  And the Electric 6 seemed like they may be entertaining, but forget it now  :)  

I will save my money for Jimmy Gnecco on Sunday....thats going to be good for sure.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 11:55:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by cale:
  McG
That dude's a genius as far as I'm concerned. [/b]
agreed. . .two words: the o.c.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 12:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
   the o.c.
Word.
27>34

broadkat

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 01:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  thank you all for helping with my decision on whether to see this show tonight at the Ottobar.

I dont really like Junior Senior.  And the Electric 6 seemed like they may be entertaining, but forget it now    :)    

I will save my money for Jimmy Gnecco on Sunday....thats going to be good for sure.
if you change your mind i've got two free tickets.  i won em but i don't know anyone in Baltimore nor anyone who wants to go up there with me.  so if it's a purely monetary thing and you want to check them out....

Barcelona

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2003, 02:00:00 pm »
Glad I was out of town.

walkman

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2003, 02:03:00 pm »
E6 didn't really do it for me...they had their moments, but it was somewhat blah.

Junior Senior, on the other hand, were well worth the price of admission.  A few friends of mine have been talking them up for months, so I figured they'd draw a good size crowd...but was still surprised by the sheer volume of good vibes.

Plus, Danish people who can't really speak English just warm my heart.

Move your feet!